MyDriveConnectWithAngle desktop icon — TomTom Community

MyDriveConnectWithAngle desktop icon

JAKUKJAKUK Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in MyDrive Connect
What is the purpose of the new desktop icon 'MyDriveConnectWithAngle' that was installed with the latest software update please?

Comments

• simplysusimplysu Posts: 13 [Master Traveler]
    .. and please tell us how we can permanently delete it! I don't like icons barging onto my desktop without permission, and then cheekily replacing themselves when I remove them!
  • JAKUKJAKUK Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Given users are unlikely to know, I've put the question in to the TomTom support people. Wonder if they know what they're doing!?
  • lampardlampard Posts: 5,191 Moderator
    Hi All,

There was a Hotfix release (v4.2.0.3437) for MyDrive Connect yesterday, which fixes the shortcut called MyDrive Connect WithAngle as it won't be shown anymore.

Please update the MyDrive Connect and let us know if it's still the same.

Cheers, lampard
  • FunkmeizterFunkmeizter Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Tried to open MyDrive Connect, which then required an update.
    However, this failed due to unable to write a file MDCLauncher.exe.

Uninstalled the installation, and downloaded InstallMyDriveConnect.exe, but the version available for download is only 4.1.7.3376.

Where can I download 4.2.0.3437 for installation?!
  • JAKUKJAKUK Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Seems to have worked for me, thanks.
  • Doopy70Doopy70 Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    I just bought my first Tomtom so I'm a newbie(Dutch)...and not good at this kind of 'modern' stuff. Not technical at all..
    I had to install Mydrive-connect, when doing so Bullguard trapped this file as being malware : mdclauncher.exe ..so I didn't install that. Now I understand that maybe I had to install that file....or..just not? Where is it for? Do I've to uninstall Mydrive-connect and install again...with mdclauncher.exe also?
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,341
    Superusers
    Yes, a reinstall of MyDriveConnect will be necessary.
    Thank you @ dhn. So reinstall MyDriveConnect...INCLUDING mdclauncer.exe?
    So mdclauncer.exe isn't malware?
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,341
    Superusers
    Nothing is guaranteed of course but all I can say is that worldwide there have been thousands of downloads of various versions of MyDriveConnect with no malware infestations.

Just make sure you go to tomtom.com/getstarted to get the appropriate executable.
    I used this link:
    https://www.tomtom.com/nl_nl/mydrive-connect/
    There the 'mdclauncher.exe' file was caught by bullguard and put into quarantine.

It seems to me that's the official Tomtom website in Dutch.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,871
    Superuser
    @Doopy70

Which version of Bullguard have you got? See these release notes https://www.bullguard.com/about/release-notes or these in Dutch https://www.bullguard.com/nl/about/release-notes?lang=nl-nl

Note to @lampard @Lorna @VikramK notice the layout of these release notes (NOT like TomTom's !!) at least some details of what has been released :)
    @Niall

Bullguard version 18.1.352

Do you think(or know) MDCLauncher.exe file is malware or just a part of installation files?
    While installing,Bullguard caught it as malware..and asked me if I wanted to leave it in quarantine or ignore the warning and install it. I made the choice to leave it in quarantine.

btw, this file was also mentioned by @Funkmeizter

When I know it's save..and neccesary to install, I'll do a complete reinstall incl. that file.
    Superuser
    @Doopy70

Think you will find that Bullguard's flagging of MDClauncher.exe is a false positive :( So the next time you install the package "ignore the warning and install it"
    Superuser
    @Doopy70

Think you will find that Bullguard's flagging of MDClauncher is a false positive :( So the next time you install the package "ignore the warning and install it"
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,632
    Superuser
    Hi @Doopy70

MDCLauncher.exe is a file from the MDC installation. You may have problems launching the TomTom software if you delete it.
    For me, it's a false positive. This is certainly the wording of the file, the word "Launcher" that makes Bullguard react.

Check out this link that lists the opinions of 67 security solutions.
    https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/1e6dcb0e08d07fcd8ce6fc38b32cbb489a99415c9a08695917e33a7416607057/detection

I use Kaspersky Internet Security and this file is considered safe on my PCs.
    https://whitelisting.kaspersky.com/advisor?lang=fr#search/2f93329be16dadf4189282f7bd603005

If you have any doubts, which I can understand, you can contact Bullguard support for confirmation.

Regards.
    Superuser
    Hi @Doopy70

MDCLauncher.exe is a file from the MDC installation. You may have problems launching the TomTom software if you delete it.
    For me, it's a false positive. This is certainly the wording of the file, the word "Launcher" that makes Bullguard react.

https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/1e6dcb0e08d07fcd8ce6fc38b32cbb489a99415c9a08695917e33a7416607057/detection

https://whitelisting.kaspersky.com/advisor?lang=fr#search/2f93329be16dadf4189282f7bd603005

If you have any doubts, which I can understand, you can contact Bullguard support for confirmation.

Regards.
    Superuser
    Hi @Doopy70

Regards.
    Superuser
    Hi @Doopy70

Here:

Here:

Regards.
    Hi @LAURE123

Thank you. What if I delete the Tomtom software..and after that, temporarily disable Bullguard just only to reinstall MyDriveConnect?
    Or would that be a stupid idea given the risk of getting viruses and malware in?

Regards, Doopy70
    Superuser
    Hi @Doopy70

I am a user like you, no more. In my opinion with Bullguard temporarily disabled, you will quietly do your installation. If you do this quickly without any other operations initiated at the same time the risk of infection is very low.
    But as soon as you re-enable it or after a standard check of your computer, it will react again to the MDCLauncher.exe file and quarantine it. You will come back to the starting point.

By principle and habit I am against the deactivation of security protections. It would be simpler, more efficient and safer to make an exception in Bullguard for this MDCLauncher.exe file so that it is not blocked and out of analysis.
    During the MDC installation, when the alert message appears, choose an option allowing this file and if it is in quarantine go to this section and restore it by setting it as safe.

Due to the reactivity of Bullguard it would be wise to also make an total exception for the TomTom MDC software executable. I have to do this with my security suite Kaspersky otherwise my map updates are systematically blocked.
    This file here in Windows:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\MyDrive Connect\TomTom MyDrive Connect.exe

I don't know your software, you can contact the support Bullguard to help you in these manipulations.

Regards.
  • michelv_michelv_ Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    simplysu wrote:
    .. and please tell us how we can permanently delete it! I don't like icons barging onto my desktop without permission, and then cheekily replacing themselves when I remove them!
    Decent software will ask you during installation if you want a desktop icon. Same with this automatic start at boot. Why do that? Like we connect a TomTom every day???
    Superuser
    Hi @michelv_

You pick up a message 5 months old, the second V2 icon evoked no longer exists.

For the icon on the desktop, if it annoys you just delete it.

For the icon in the taskbar, uncheck it in MDC Settings. You can do this also when installing or updating the program. A pop-up window offers you this choice.

7c193d4b-f0f3-4876-ad54-be42113b7d0e.png
    Regards.
  • michelv_michelv_ Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    @LAURE123 Well, you just explained what I would like to prevent. Why is it that this installation does things I need to correct afterwards? If it would just ask during install, I always have the option later to enable it.

It is a matter of giving users a choice at the correct moment, not having them correct it afterwards (or in my way with increased security having to use extra steps to get rid of the higher level installed icon on a desktop) and/or finding out that their system yet again got some extra service chewing ...
    Superuser
    Hi @michelv_

You have not read my answer carefully enough.
    LAURE123 wrote:
    For the icon in the taskbar, uncheck it in MDC Settings. You can do this also when installing or updating the program. A pop-up window offers you this choice.

The first security of a PC is its user, and the attention he has when voluntarily installing a software.

So, I repeat, when you install MyDrive Connect or when you update it, a pop-up window asks you if you want to start MDC with the PC, uncheck or check your choice. Window pop-up that you must validate with a left click.

c8ad0332-ac1f-4a86-8f51-98b43c421405.png
    Thus the choice is given at the right time, when installing or updating MDC. Take the time to watch and read your screen is better.
    Fortunately MDC offers the possibility to modify its settings after.

If you still don't believe me redo the installation of the software to see by yourself.

Regards.