Postbode01
Postbode01 Registered Users Posts: 1
New Traveler
My TT fails to receive GPS signal, what is the problem

Comments

• dhn
    dhn Posts: 33,393
     Superuser
    When did you last get a gps fix? Is the battery fully charged? Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds.
  • Mike Tham
    Mike Tham Registered Users Posts: 7
    Apprentice Traveler
    I saw a software fix for the GPS problem for Tomtom Go 1005 but do not know where to paste the fix? Please help. Thank you.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,751
    Elite Voyager
    @Mike Tham

There is no patch to stick
    You must connect your Go 1005 to your Mydrive connect account, the patch will be installed on your Go.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,480
     Superuser
    edited December 2021
    Hi
    @Mike Tham
    Welcome to the site....
    Is the latest NAV3 Operating system installed on the GO LIVE 1005 ???
    Release date: 26-Jul-18
    Version: 12.075
    Bug fixes and improvements: Various performance improvements and bug fixes have been implemented.
    This update prepares your navigation device for the week number rollover in April 2019 which has an impact on GPS.

A Drum-roll Soft Start can help.... Hold the ON/OFF Power button in until you hear a Drum-roll sound... Then release the button.... This will reinitialize the device's Operating System, like restarting your PC

Method: Fully charge the Battery (At least 2 Hours)
    (Preferably using something like a Smartphone Charger + Using the Tomtom USB lead)
    A low battery can cause GPS Satellite fix problems...
    First Plan a route on the device... Now place the device outside with a clear view to the sky
    (I used a 5200 mAh battery power-pack... while waiting for a Satellite lock)
    It can take anything up to 30 Minutes to get the first Satellite Lock
    After the Initial 'First Lock' the device should lock quickly onto the Satellites

If you are still struggling to get a GPS Fix
    Try....
    I have found with my Car parked on the drive, if I placed the device on the centre of the Car's roof (I used one of those 'Sticky' rubber mats to stop it sliding off the roof)
    The device will obtain it's first GPS Satellite lock more quickly... The metal roof of the Car acts as a ground-plane for the SatNav GPS Antenna and increases the signal strength

Test... GO 825 Live connected to a 5200 mAh battery power-pack... PND Displaying 'GPS Status Menu'
    (1)... Centre of Car roof (Parked on drive)
    Signal strength 86% Connected Satellites 9
    (2)... Outside clear view to the sky....
    Signal strength 61% Connected Satellites 6
    (3)... Indoors 1st floor one metre from window....
    Signal strength 51% Connected Satellites 4
    (4)... Indoors ground floor one metre from window....
    Signal strength 41% Connected Satellites 3

Stay Safe... ATB YFM