GPS Tracking Map wildly inaccurate: Seemingly inventing routes of its own?

Sandytjbruce
Sandytjbruce Registered Users Posts: 1
New Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I used my TomTom Runner 3 watch to track a 17 mile walk last week along the Thames. Starting in Waterloo we followed the river as closely as we could to Richmond.
On reviewing the data later, it appears the map tracked by the GPS is hugely inaccurate. We walked the entire distance on the Southside of the river, however the starting point, and for large stretches of the walk we're seemingly North of the river, crossing it on several occasions - heading quite far inland in some instances which doesn't reflect the route we actually took one bit (See image included).

Oddly enough all of the inaccuracy is in the first 5 miles of the walk, with the rest of the route seeming pretty much bang on to the smallest detail - we can even see the small detour we took to a pub that we rapidly walked out of as it was rammed.

I don't mind some inaccuracy on the maps, but this seems quite badly out. Also there's no way of knowing if this is also causing inaccuracy in the other data. I have no idea if the mysterious route is the same distance as the route I actually covered, therefor is the other data; distance, time, pace etc reflective of what I actually achieved or based on the inaccurate map?

Has anyone ever experienced this or overcome such an issue?

2c217ab5-ba7b-4e7e-8abb-13b0e79ecc2e.png

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,938
    Superuser
    Had you updated the QuickGPS file within the last 3 days and waited for a strong satellite lock before starting? Best to just sit still with the button pointing skyward (or take it off and place it on a flat surface) until it finds the GPS. Make sure the watch is in an unobstructed area without large buildings, tree cover or reflective surfaces as this will cause a lot of interference. It will also take longer the first time you are in a new location but will speed up thereafter as it caches the location data for that spot. Once you get the Go it is best to give it another minute or two as Go is just the minimum satellites locked on. The longer you wait the more it will grab and the better your signal will be.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.