No Sound - TomTom Go + Neeed to Update IF Possible

RheumyBird
RheumyBird Registered Users Posts: 5
Neophyte Traveler
TomTom Go - No further details - might find paper work !! But need daylight and a good search. Bought some years ago in the UK, maybe 5 / 6 years ? Covers the world - so that if necessary I could bring with me to North America.

Fixes on the wind screen with an integral system, very different to my first TomTom which was stolen, I could fire up in the home etc etc. One slots this replacement into a holding system - which sometimes does not clasp securely.

Sound **was perfect. Never a problem. Directed every step of the way. Then, suddenly, did not work, at all. Everything was 'on'. Had it checked out by two computer savvy friends, but, no sound !

Took it to the computer section of a shop over here. Chose a replacement. Checked for sound on Brand *New TomToms - several. NO sound from any of them ! I need sound, sound for safety. The shop contacted TomTom, and then removed them from their shelves - I never did find out the full story.

Has TomTom cut the use of sound on their TomToms ?

In sheer desperation, I perforce had to replace with a Garmin - hate it. Soooo complicated to use. Crazy. So, back to using my ancient, no sound TomTom - but do need sound. Help !

In addition. Need to update. BUT, had checked with the site here some time ago and read NOT to update as the model I have does not update ! That, as you start to update, then, the whole TomTom is wiped clean of ALL information. A family I know tried to update their TomTom, No Go. Their TomTom, was wiped clean.

Maddening.

*Need SOUND
*Need to update

HELP. If anyone can help.

Comments

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,800
    Superuser
    Hi
    Have you tried a Drum roll restart on the device ????
    Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like re-booting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles......

Note... Some early Tomtom models have a reset button for more Info see.....
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965//session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI2NjM0NDUyL3NpZC9EQTdTVHpobQ

ATB YFM
  • Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,114
    Superuser
    @RheumyBird

To determine which device you have, without searching for the paperwork :), see https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9508/locale/en_GB
  • RheumyBird
    Neophyte Traveler
    WOW - Thank you Niall. Got the model details : Your device is a TomTom GO 940 LIVE with 4GB memory and it updates through TomTom HOME.
    Your device is fully supported through phone and email. You can also get help through our user forum and FAQs.

As for sound. That is the next question. What happened to the sound and, why did none of the TomToms in the shop have sound. Has ToTom disabled the sound aspect / application on their GPS devices ?

Then. Ho-Hum. How do I update ? Did have summat to attach to a computer, but dunno where on earth it might have hidden itself - swear stuff walks !

Thanks Niall - y're a star.
  • RheumyBird
    Neophyte Traveler
    Right, will do that tomorrow. MUST try to locate the thingie to attach to computer has gone to. Otherwise 'think' will be unable to connect. Have the attachment for the windscreen : which seems to be a stand alone. We'll see what transpirws. But, we've made a start.

You guys are terrif - just *hope the fact that I live in France is not going to be an enormous stumbling block - don't tell me; only sound available in English speaking countries'... Meet the mountain when I get to it (please don't make it the Garmin !)

Thanks again Niall - sending you another **
  • RheumyBird
    Neophyte Traveler
    YamFazMan wrote:
    Hi
    Have you tried a Drum roll restart on the device ????
    Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like re-booting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles......

Note... Some early Tomtom models have a reset button for more Info see.....
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965//session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI2NjM0NDUyL3NpZC9EQTdTVHpobQ

ATB YFM

Hi YamFazMan - thank you. Yes, has a drum roll, And also, when trying to get the sound going, I did land up one time on 'kiddies corner' and story time ! Didn't know that was even on TomTom. The sound was great, so, no sound for available for directions was / is weird - and definitely wires one up for stress ! I so need sound to give me directions.

There is no card on its base. Now have about run out of battery time. Will recharge as I go about appointments tomorrow.

Thank you so much. More help from a great forum.
  • RheumyBird
    Neophyte Traveler
    Hi YamFazMan - thank you. Yes, has a drum roll, And also, when trying to get the sound going, I did land up one time on 'kiddies corner' and story time ! Didn't know that was even on TomTom. The sound was great, so, no sound for available for directions was / is weird - and definitely wires one up for stress ! I so need sound to give me directions.

There is no card on its base. Now have about run out of battery time. Will recharge as I go about appointments tomorrow.

Thank you so much. More help from a great forum.