Steps on Spark 3

455atc
455atc Registered Users Posts: 2
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
My watch seams to be over calculating my steps I don’t know how to or wat I’m doing wrong

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,938
    Superuser
    The activity tracker is detecting steps based on movement and incidental movement of your arm will be enough to trigger steps. It is not an exact science, it is meant to be directional guidance. For every extra step it picks up from brushing your teeth, or moving your arms while talking or driving, it is missing steps when you are walking pushing a cart or walking with your hands in your pockets. Again, it is meant to give you a directional view if you are active enough, not an exact count. I personally find it directionally accurate, in that during a day I am fairly active it is picking up more steps than on sedentary days. If it is off by a few hundred or a thousand steps I am not concerned, if I am several thousand short it means I need to get up and move around more.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • 455atc
    455atc Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    That’s great thank u very much
  • Thisisrediculous
    Thisisrediculous Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    I am having the same issue, almost double the true amount. It is a bit strange to me that a watch, designed to monitor and measure lifestyle can be soo far off. Is this not the purpose of the watch?

Also, it is very accurate in repeating the error, even when I purposely minimise hand movement.

Is there any intention to correct this, as my phone and another similar device seem to get it fairly accurate?

Can this be a software adjustment?
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    I am having the same issue, almost double the true amount. It is a bit strange to me that a watch, designed to monitor and measure lifestyle can be soo far off. Is this not the purpose of the watch?

Also, it is very accurate in repeating the error, even when I purposely minimise hand movement.

Is there any intention to correct this, as my phone and another similar device seem to get it fairly accurate?

Can this be a software adjustment?
    TomTom went out of business in watches last year and ceased all production and development so there is no resolution coming and no way to adjust it in the software.
  • Thisisrediculous
    Thisisrediculous Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    And yet they still sell them? Taken today?
    521030fd-6faa-440e-860f-217f5cde1fc4.png
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    Yes, they are selling out their existing inventory. Do you expect to simply throw all the remaining stock in the garbage? They work fine for what they are, they are simply not going to be updated again. The are legacy products.