Sony XA-NV400 tomtom map update — TomTom Community

Sony XA-NV400 tomtom map update

AndyMcCAndyMcC Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in Built in car navigation
I’ve asked Sony support and TomTom support about this and as of yet received nothing, I’m finding it very difficult to get any information from anywhere on the XA-NV400 which I have just installed with my XAV-XA100 head unit in my car.

The map is out of date by a long way and all information points to regional XAV map downloads, when I download, unzip and install on the SD card as per the instructions I get a failure when TomTom tries to start, when I revert to the backed up data I can get it working again.

The original map folder I have is Europe_975.7769 and the format of the newly downloaded update is significantly different.

I would like to know if there is an update I can use becasue the device is pointless currently and I’m sure others will have the same issue.

Thanks

Comments

• AndyMcCAndyMcC Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just thought I would post the results of my support requests to both Sony and Tom Tom regards the XA-NV400 and XAV-XA100 Head unit,

Sony have now responded to me , they have explained that there is no updated map.

TomTom, they continue to maintain that the map they are pointing at for XAV units is correct, I have wiped and reloaded SD cards bought new SD Cards and repeated and verified that the new software regardless of SD card will not work more times than I'd like to remember!

When I copy the original contents back onto any of my SD cards the original map works perfectly well (unless you want to go anywhere that has new or modified roads or speed limits).

Anyway,

I am a software/electronic engineer to trade so following installation instructions and fault finding are far from new to me, however, it seems I cannot get the map to work - I suggest that there are different Sony XAV units and that the XA-NV400 should not be confused with these others that probably are compatible with the TomTom XAV updates.

That's just my opinion based on my observations, please let me know if you manage to get the map working and how you managed it.

For anyone reading this thinking of upgrading, please backup your folder from your SD card before you try the update, I noticed that the file structure differed significantly and I decided to backup, had I not done this I would now have an even more useless Sat Nav.

For reference the file that would not work was , SonyXNV_Western_Europe_v9.80.zip , 3166440KB

Cheers

Andy
  • emarazemaraz Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Yeah, I can join here.... Have the same issue in Poland, I can't update maps and waiting for response from Sony and TomTom... For the moment I paid for device that is useless!!!!
    Hi, this is just a snippet of info that might help somebody.

I was flicking through the menus of my XA-XAV100 with XA-NV400 attached and found a reference to 'navkit version' - this led me to think that the map for the unit is compiled with navkit sdk which is specific to each vehicle OE or device OE.
    This means that tomtom provide the map to Sony, it is then Sonys responsibility to compile the map for the device and make available.

I confirmed this with tomtom support. (As Email Response Below)
    Dear Mr McCormack,
    Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support. My name is ********, and I will be assisting you today. The reference number for your query is 1***********2.I understand from your email that you have a Sony tomtom XA-NV400 unit. You was looking through the menus and notice that the device has reference to a navkit version, you want us to confirm if Sony will need to compile a new map for your device. I’m glad that you emailed us and I will take care of this immediately.I would like to inform you that TomTom only provides Map to Sony, rest all is dealt my Sony. Warranty and customer support is provided by Sony. Every query regarding map software/Navkit needs to go through Sony.If you need further assistance or have any more queries, please feel free to call us on 02079490134 or simply reply to this e-mail and we will be more than happy to help.
    Our working hours are 9:00 am to 5:30 pm, Monday through Friday. With Best regards, **********TomTom Customer Support

Looks like it's time to chase Sony some more,

Cheers
    That's good then... I was arguing about that with Sony and they are keep saying that TomTom is responsible for this as a manufacturer of a software. So probably we will never see an update. Time to ask customer rights organisation about that
  • RoxasRush1RoxasRush1 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    AndyMcC wrote:
    Hi, this is just a snippet of info that might help somebody.

I was flicking through the menus of my XA-XAV100 with XA-NV400 attached and found a reference to 'navkit version' - this led me to think that the map for the unit is compiled with navkit sdk which is specific to each vehicle OE or device OE.
    This means that tomtom provide the map to Sony, it is then Sonys responsibility to compile the map for the device and make available.

I confirmed this with tomtom support. (As Email Response Below)

Dear Mr McCormack,
    Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support. My name is ********, and I will be assisting you today. The reference number for your query is 1***********2.I understand from your email that you have a Sony tomtom XA-NV400 unit. You was looking through the menus and notice that the device has reference to a navkit version, you want us to confirm if Sony will need to compile a new map for your device. I’m glad that you emailed us and I will take care of this immediately.I would like to inform you that TomTom only provides Map to Sony, rest all is dealt my Sony. Warranty and customer support is provided by Sony. Every query regarding map software/Navkit needs to go through Sony.If you need further assistance or have any more queries, please feel free to call us on 02079490134 or simply reply to this e-mail and we will be more than happy to help.
    Our working hours are 9:00 am to 5:30 pm, Monday through Friday. With Best regards, **********TomTom Customer Support
    Looks like it's time to chase Sony some more,

Cheers
  • RoxasRush1RoxasRush1 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Sorry, I was trying to leave a reply. Messed up. Anyways, have you gotten any form of update? I'm in the US and I'm thinking of buying the new XAV-xa5000 they put out but also wanted to buy the Add on nav module. Has Sony or Tom Tom helped you out or provided an update to the maps yet? Thanks in advance
    RoxasRush1 wrote:
    Sorry, I was trying to leave a reply. Messed up. Anyways, have you gotten any form of update? I'm in the US and I'm thinking of buying the new XAV-xa5000 they put out but also wanted to buy the Add on nav module. Has Sony or Tom Tom helped you out or provided an update to the maps yet? Thanks in advance
    Do not buy it. Sony says it's TomTom responsibility and TomTom says it's Sony's responsibility to provide map update... They do not have agreement about it between themselves and it will not going to change. I would go for Alpine instead if you want navigation.
    I regret buying the Sony unit every time I drive my car, it’s a shame it has brought the trust I had in Tom Tom down as well.
    Hi, just further info about the map I tried contacting Sony again last month and once again had to explain to the support representative how the navkit solution should work, anyway I got the usual “no update available” response.

I did use the unit driving to south of France for holidays and ended up using phone instead because the speed limits were so badly out of date.

I will not buy Sony again, ever.