Latitude Longitude search feature — TomTom Community

Latitude Longitude search feature

PeeemPeeem Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
I have never owned a sat nav and perhaps I never will. I am though going to buy one for my son in law and my two grandchildren. They go backpacking/hiking/geocaching. I want to get them a sat nav that will allow you to input Lat/Lon coords as well as post codes.
I would appreciate any suggestions on a model.
Also, although I don't think this will be as important to them, is there a model where you can put the coordinates in a route? By that I mean, say they leave home (point 1) and drive to point 2 and from there drive to point 3. Or would they have to input point 3 at point 2?
As I say I have never owned a sat nav so I hope you can understand what I'm asking.

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,402
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Peeem
    the Tomtom devices are route planners (For the road) if your backpacking/hiking/geocaching is off road the Tom tom device will ONLY take you to the nearest Road Access point

For Example....
    Inputting coordinates using GPS format, for example, If you enter N 52 23.488 W 2 12.501 it's a field in Worcestershire UK
    In the text on the screen, the New GO range will display the coordinate location and underneath, offer the nearest road location as a destination, in this case, an (Unnamed location) Hurcott UK

76adbbe5-cca9-4c2f-9b3b-6df0ba393048.jpg
    (1)... Tapping the Black Pendant Icon opens the "(Unnamed location) Hurcott UK" Tap the blue "Drive Steering Wheel" icon to drive there

This would obviously be a problem if the coordinate was miles or tens of miles to the nearest Road Access point

ATB YFM
  • PeeemPeeem Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi YamFazMan and thanks for replying.
    Sorry but I explained myself badly. They do the hiking etc with paper maps or a basic gps. The sat nav would be to get them into the hills and such by small roads to car parks or layby's with coords given to them by hiker friends.
    I should have missed out their pastime and just asked for info on a sat nav!!
    Sorry for the confusion.
    So do you reckon the GO range of sat nav would be ideal?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,402
    Superusers
    Hi
    Have a look here... The Tomtom MyRoute Web Route planner has the same maps as on the Tomtom devices
    Maybe your Son in law could see if the Tomtom maps have enough detail (Small lanes) to suit his requirements....
    https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/

Re the Tomtom SatNav choice... The Via Range and GO Range ... Have two search mode options ('Quick Mode'...This works OK) & 'Step by Step'

For the moment I would avoid 'Start Range' it only has the 'Step by Step' search Mode
    There's a bug/glitch in the 'Step by Step' search Mode causing problems when searching a Postcode... The menu flow requires you to enter the name of of the Road/Street
    If you don't know the name of of the Road/Street for the Postcode i.e... an An Isolated Farm, a Single building an Office block you can't complete the search

ATB YFM
  • PeeemPeeem Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    That's brilliant. I'll see him tomorrow and show him your links. Thanks again.