Fitness age

Ingrid59
Ingrid59 Registered Users Posts: 1
New Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Fitness age can not be correct.

I have my watch sins 8/1/18.
I work out 3 times a week for 3 jears now. 2 times 1,5 hour in the sportschool. (power and cardio) and 1 time hiking for an hour. The cardio I use gradient.
My watch started with a age of 71 and now it gives 74. My real age is 59.

Comments

• TheOtherPete
    TheOtherPete Registered Users Posts: 24
    Prominent Wayfarer
    It says my fitness age is 20 and I am well north of that (e.g. times 2 +)
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    Ingrid59 wrote:
    Fitness age can not be correct.

I have my watch sins 8/1/18.
    I work out 3 times a week for 3 jears now. 2 times 1,5 hour in the sportschool. (power and cardio) and 1 time hiking for an hour. The cardio I use gradient.
    My watch started with a age of 71 and now it gives 74. My real age is 59.

I honestly don't feel you can make any judgments from what it is telling you in terms of fitness points or fitness age. It only uses runs or cycles to calculate points and while it does refine its readings over time but it seems to be a random, capricious measure that ties to very little. It is directly correlated to your estimated VO2Max (again only calculated in run and cycle modes) so if your VO2 Max is low or you are using a different mode you will not get an accurate Fitness Age. Ultimately I don't expect a watch to be able to tell me how fit I am.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • CharlyMouse
    CharlyMouse Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    My fitness age also seems to be going up the fitter I get! I'm 36 and it started off at 20, I know this was because there was probably enough data. I have been regularly getting 3 stars each week for the past few months and it has slowly gone up and up and now it says i'm as fit as a 48 year old! I generally do a lot of trail hiking/running with steep hills keeping heart rate up. Does it only work with running?
  • sklurfeld
    sklurfeld Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    1. I'm 53. As I have worked out, over the last 5 weeks, my fitness age has grown from 45, to 63. No reason given, and no explanation. Bizarre, and difficult to put any real significant interest in
    2. How is VO2 max measured by a device that has no access to my O2? It can barely read my heart rate... the tech is impressive sounding, but if you type in VO2 max measurement, you will get a person hooked up to a breathing tube, sitting on a bicycle, next to a computer. Not hooked up to a wristwatch
  • tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    sklurfeld wrote:
    1. I'm 53. As I have worked out, over the last 5 weeks, my fitness age has grown from 45, to 63. No reason given, and no explanation. Bizarre, and difficult to put any real significant interest in
    2. How is VO2 max measured by a device that has no access to my O2? It can barely read my heart rate... the tech is impressive sounding, but if you type in VO2 max measurement, you will get a person hooked up to a breathing tube, sitting on a bicycle, next to a computer. Not hooked up to a wristwatch
    It bases VO2Max on standard tables based on pace and HR during cycling and running activities. This is the way all sports watches do it, as it is obviously not a clinical test. I honestly don't feel you can make any judgments from what it is telling you in terms of fitness points or fitness age. It only uses runs or cycles to calculate points and while it does refine its readings over time but it seems to be a random, capricious measure that ties to very little. It is based on whatever algorithm TT came up with, which is different than what Garmin uses or Strava uses, or anyone else. Ultimately I don't expect a watch to be able to tell me how fit I am.
  • Ne Ultra
    Ne Ultra Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    I honestly don't feel you can make any judgments from what it is telling you in terms of fitness points or fitness age. It only uses runs or cycles to calculate points and while it does refine its readings over time but it seems to be a random, capricious measure that ties to very little. It is directly correlated to your estimated VO2Max (again only calculated in run and cycle modes) so if your VO2 Max is low or you are using a different mode you will not get an accurate Fitness Age. Ultimately I don't expect a watch to be able to tell me how fit I am.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Ne Ultra
    Ne Ultra Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    I see this answer on few different threads and honestly its not an answer. TomTom offers this feature and claims there is some sort of meaning behind fitness age. If it doesn't work it shouldn't exist. Just thinking "well I guess I should be fine with my watch lying about a feature" isn't ok.
  • tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    Ne Ultra wrote:
    I see this answer on few different threads and honestly its not an answer. TomTom offers this feature and claims there is some sort of meaning behind fitness age. If it doesn't work it shouldn't exist. Just thinking "well I guess I should be fine with my watch lying about a feature" isn't ok.
    I was not aware I was not entitled to my opinion, my heartfelt apologies. This is a user forum for users to share their opinions and experiences. If you want an answer call TT Support. Of course that will do you no good because as previously mentioned, like it or not, the Fitness Age feature is worthless. And considering TT has left the watch business they are not likely to change it at this point, it would gain them nothing.