End of life device with Lifetime maps

VikramKVikramK Posts: 6,537 TomTom Moderator
edited January 31 in News and announcements
Hello all

There seems to be some confusion among users having end of life devices with Lifetime maps.

Let me explain if your device comes with Lifetime maps then the updates will be honored and you will continue to receive new maps going forward.

However, you will not be able to order Services(LIVE and Speed cameras) purchase new maps for other regions on the TomTom webshop.

Rest has already been explained before on this topic.

Thank you and regards
Vikram
Have a question? Ask!
Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.

Comments

• TMP118TMP118 Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    I have a GO LIVE 820. Is this still being supported by Live Services & Speed Camera updates. My current subscription expires mid February 2018.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,400 Superuser
    @TMP118

Only if the first two characters of the serial number does NOT starts with "FT"

"FA">GO LIVE 820, 8GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3
    "FT">GO LIVE 820, 2GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3 Eol
    "FU">GO LIVE 820, 4GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3
    Where can I find the serial number for my GO Live 820.
    I’ve found the serial number (FU4301GO..........) and, if I’ve understood the info from Niall, this should mean my device will be ok for updates of maps, Live services/traffic and speed cameras. Is that correct?
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,400 Superuser
    @TMP118

Yes, you are good to go, and I am glad that was helpful
    Thanks Niall. Your advice was very much appreciated
  • antondantond Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    TomTom says that one reason older devices are not supported is that map file sizes have grown considerably and can't be accommodated on older devices. I have a Go 820 with current UK + Ireland maps, which is 360 MB in size. My device has 1128 MB free space and thus nowhere near not being able to handle updates. Yet am told my device is no longer supported. Why????
  • djrose007djrose007 Posts: 23 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Well that is a bit of sharp practice selling.
    I had an email from TomTom with a 30% off offer to upgrade to a 6200 because map upgrades would no longer be supported on my Go 510, which does have lifetime maps and speed cameras.
    I purchased the 6200 purely because of this notification.

NOT HAPPY HAVING TO SPEND £237 UNNECESSARILY!
  • FdellSFdellS Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    @djrose007

go 510 is fully supported. I guess the auto generated email(end of life) was wrongly sent to you.

They have a 14 day return and refund window, so you can raise a request by contacting their support.
  • djrose007djrose007 Posts: 23 [Apprentice Traveler]
    FdellS wrote:
    @djrose007

go 510 is fully supported. I guess the auto generated email(end of life) was wrongly sent to you.

They have a 14 day return and refund window, so you can raise a request by contacting their support.
    Thank you FdellS, I might do that, on the other hand it was a big discount and I am still using the 510 on my bike for now and the 6200 in the car. I might keep it just for the convenience of not having to swap it over but I wouldn't have bought it for that reason!
    Thanks for the advice.
  • antondantond Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    If TomTom wants to destroy customer loyalty, this is how to do it. Why should I buy another device when my Go Live 820 is quite capable of handling future map updates?
  • DryCreekDryCreek Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Well, I'm glad this has been cleared up. I thought my GPS was going to become a paperweight. If they are still going to honor the Lifetime Maps as promised, I am no longer a disgruntled consumer.
  • chrisjw37chrisjw37 Posts: 57 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Niall wrote:
    @TMP118

Only if the first two characters of the serial number does NOT starts with "FT"

"FA">GO LIVE 820, 8GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3
    "FT">GO LIVE 820, 2GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3 Eol
    "FU">GO LIVE 820, 4GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3

Wouldn't it be a good, brilliant - if not actually sensible if TT actually said that in a clear and readable fashion?

Or am I just being unreasonable?
    Mr Chris
  • commutecommute Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I have a Tom Tom Start 20m model AY ( a few years old now )and on the box it says 'free life time maps; but when I connected it to the internet to update the maps I was led to a place to pay for maps ( and not given any option to 'go for free') which I sadly did to get the map update; have I been conned then? I have had to download and run 'Tom Tom My DRive connect '; but have I been conned by the' free life- time maps' statment?
  • dhndhn Posts: 32,972 Superusers
    Those models with lifetime maps will continue to get them.

See here:
    https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/obsolete-products/
  • commutecommute Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    *Lifetime means the useful life of the device, i.e. the period of time TomTom supports your device with updates, services, content or accessories. A device will have reached the end of when none of these are available any more.

From this I gather Tom Tom are telling us that they will only supply map updates 'at their convenience' ; the 'uselful life of the devise' is not how happy the user feels with their devise but what updates Tom Tom wants to supply? So why does the box say 'free life time maps' as when I went to get mine after my devise told me my maps were out of date the site told me I had to pay for the maps; so why did I have to pay if the maps were available? Can anyone please clarify; model is an AY one ; so should I have to pay?

Also; this makes us have to buy new devises does it not?
  • bigbig Posts: 1,472 Superuser
    If a currently supported model was purchased with Free Lifetime Maps you do not have to pay for map updates. But sometimes a serial number is messed up in TomTom's database -- a call to them puts it right quickly.
  • HateUNowHateUNow Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    There are no words for you guys. It was bad enough when I got sucked into your product, loved it with the fabulous free voices, then, when my unit was run over in a parking lot and I chose to replace it, all the voices I fell in love with were no longer anywhere to be found. :( Now, you do this. For one thing, I never received ANY CONTACT regarding a discontinuation of support. You REALLY ****. I loved nearly everything about that GPS, and even now, the messaging in this forum is not clear about the XL units. I had to find out when I hooked it up for an update and it told me never again. Plus, the date in my last email from you has an expiration date of 2023. That is a LONG time from now. You lied.

I HATE YOU PEOPLE.

Don't you know there's too much competition out there for you to treat customers like this.

LOSE.
  • howdenbikerhowdenbiker Posts: 20 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have a VIA live 120, on 15th February I received an email asking me to renew my maps which I tried to do only to find my device is no longer supported.

No emails have been sent to me letting my device is shortly to become unsupported, poor service TomTom.

So now I have to make do with old maps or fork out £187 for a new one, why not keep the maps to a size that will allow these units to continue use, oops, of course then I'd not buy a new one!!!!

Time to have a look elsewhere I'm afraid.
  • GBTHGBTH Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    TomTom,
    What are you playing at! You are going to destroy your Brand by letting down loyal customers. I have an old device (OneXL), Yes. I pay a lot for maps and cameras to keep it up to date and it works well, I have also invested in accessories for it over the years. The memory issue is a rubbish excuse as I current only use 20% of the available memory and given the size of the new maps that have been mentioned there is still plenty of space. After many years of brand loyalty I will be moving on to join a competitor out of principle. PR Disaster!
    GBTH wrote:
    TomTom,
    What are you playing at! You are going to destroy your Brand by letting down loyal customers. I have an old device (OneXL), Yes. I pay a lot for maps and cameras to keep it up to date and it works well, I have also invested in accessories for it over the years. The memory issue is a rubbish excuse as I current only use 20% of the available memory and given the size of the new maps that have been mentioned there is still plenty of space. After many years of brand loyalty I will be moving on to join a competitor out of principle. PR Disaster!
    I totally agree, I had no notice and as you say why not keep the map size the same as before, I do not need any new memory sapping innovations.
    Having invested a lot of cash in updates TomTom will be at the bottom of my list for renewal.
  • w45w45 Posts: 16 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just a couple of observations re "end of life".

Now an 820(FT) with lifetime maps will continue to receive map updates, so in effect its life has not ended.

So where is the logic in not allowing the continuing purchase of Live Services, since these machines are still being supported?

Or is this still a ploy to render these machines less than useful without Live Traffic.
    I've written to TomTom but received no reply, clearly owners of old models are of no interest to them.
    It is a shame as I've always praised their great service in the past, such a shame.

It;s not as if my unit is giving any problems, I just want to update the maps and keep live services.
  • w45w45 Posts: 16 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Exactly the same with mine, TomTom are treating us like idiots.

I will not be purchasing a new unit.
  • DoowopDoowop Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    If Tom Tom does not supply free lifetime map updates, as we have been getting, and as we were supposed to get when I purchased my XXL 550, we're looking at a class action lawsuit.