No More Support - No More TomTom!

ClarkeyClarkey Posts: 11 [Legendary Explorer]
With the news today of TomTom withdrawing support for many different models, I would like to express my disgust at such news. As a long-standing customer of no fewer than five devices my decision will be to take my custom elsewhere. Whilst I understand that some devices no longer have the storage capacity or processing power necessary for the latest technology it is not for TomTom to decide when these older models are no longer viable, it should be the owner's decision. TomTom are now joining the ranks of the likes of Microsoft, Apple, HP etc who think we should live in a throwaway society and just want us to update to the latest model! What action are TomTom taking in ensuring that these old devices are suitably recycled. Time for TomTom to act responsibly and keep their customer base as today you have just lost a lot more!

Comments

• davetj_ukdavetj_uk Posts: 7 [Master Traveler]
    I have 2 devices Clarkey. One of my devices is a Start 60. It's brand new and far from obsolete. The life time updates was one of the main reasons I bought the Start 60. The Tom Tom life time updates are not worth the paper they are written on. I wont be buying any more Tom Tom products again. Tom Tom.. You have reached your destination.. Bye Bye!
  • dhndhn Posts: 32,878 [Superusers]
    Check the first 2 characters of the serial number and see here:

"WM">Start 60 / Via 620 (2012), 2GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3 Eol
    "WN">Start 60 / Via 620 (2012), 4GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3
    "WO">Start 60 / Via 620 (2012), 8GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3

ONLY those with WM are End of Life.
    It don't matter what year the Tom Tom Start 60 was sold. Life time updates to me is not 4 or 5 years old! We have been conned no matter how you look at this. Stitched up good and proper. We've all paid a premium for these so called lifetime updates over other models in the Tom Tom range because we all thought lifetime was a lot longer than 4 or 5 years! A lot of Tom Tom customers are not going to belive anything Tom Tom says in future. Their reputation is now in tatters! I will never buy another Tom Tom sat nav. .
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 6,235 [Moderator]
    davetj_uk wrote:
    It don't matter what year the Tom Tom Start 60 was sold. Life time updates to me is not 4 or 5 years old! We have been conned no matter how you look at this. Stitched up good and proper. We've all paid a premium for these so called lifetime updates over other models in the Tom Tom range because we all thought lifetime was a lot longer than 4 or 5 years! A lot of Tom Tom customers are not going to belive anything Tom Tom says in future. Their reputation is now in tatters! I will never buy another Tom Tom sat nav. .

I had a look at your account and I see the serial number of your TomTom Start 60 begins with 'WN' which means that your device has not been declared EoL and you will continue to receive map updates and support.

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
  • ClarkeyClarkey Posts: 11 [Legendary Explorer]
    TomTom have clearly signalled the beginning of the end of their business! I would recommend to anyone that a company that treats its longest loyal customer base in this manner that it is no longer worth dealing with!

I would strongly recommend to anyone thinking of buying any TomTom product that they look for alternative brands that respect their customers, that way you will not be disappointed in the future! If you have only just bought one, then take it back to the retailer and get a refund!

This company will be filing for bankruptcy in the not too distant future!
    VikramK wrote:
    davetj_uk wrote:
    I had a look at your account and I see the serial number of your TomTom Start 60 begins with 'WN' which means that your device has not been declared EoL and you will continue to receive map updates and support.

Regards
    Vikram
  • MazipanMazipan Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    What an absolute disgrace this company is. I have now had two of their devices but after the withdraw of product support to my device I will no longer buy any of their products as a matter of principle. To make expensive devices obsolete is outrageous and tantamount to fraud, as this is not clear when purchasing. I will also make sure all my friends, relatives, colleagues are also aware of the poor business practice of this company. Well done- great pr.
  • ghost123ukghost123uk Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I too have issues with this policy. I own a perfectly useable TomTom One and I am now told I will have to bin it and buy another device, just because "they" have deliberately built in this obsolescence into the software!! This is just a cheap ploy to get me to spend more money with them and throw away a perfectly good Sat Nav !!

I will have to buy a new device, but because of this it WON'T be a TomTom one !!
  • tiborktibork Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Tom Tom you are nothing short of crooked, fraudulent gangsters.I hope you go down like the TITANIC. My xl 335 se is 6 years old and no longer has support. How the hell can you expect repeat customers with your thieving policies. Magellan, Garmin, here I come.
  • CTDrewCTDrew Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Wow, I wonder if this is what is wrong with my XXL model. I posted a question about why the map doesn't work anymore. Have they actually obsoleted the product?

I read that support is done, but I figured that meant once the device dies, don't bother calling. But if it still works, have fun. My XXL started complaining that the map can't be used with this device a few weeks ago and I couldn't figure out what the heck happened.

Is it possible that it is a result of Tom Tom discontinuing support for the device?
  • CTDrewCTDrew Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hello all. My XXL is working again. Tom Tom did NOT leave us high and dry!
    I received a response from @VikramK , the moderator, regarding the map that was loaded to my device and how to get it back to a working version.

I still don't know what caused the map on my device to change/get corrupted, but at least I now know that I can delete a corrupted map and reload the map that was working.

My recommendation for all users of older devices; it is IMPERATIVE that you have a copy of the map that was last working on your device saved to your computer/Tom Tom Home application.

At the end of the day, all I had to do was clear the device (delete) and reload that original map and all was right with the world.

I suppose I should note that, with these older devices, we can't update the maps otherwise the device will stop working. Which means... we won't be able to rely for too long on outdated maps. That in mind, upgrade plans are warranted.