Start 25 End of Life

Darkspark
Darkspark Registered Users Posts: 7
Master Explorer
I have just discovered today that my Start 25 (with life time map updates) has been classified as End of Life and I will not get any further updates. I bought this TT from Halfords on 11/08/2015 so it's just over 2 years old and I am absolutely disgusted. According to the webpage I can receive a discount off one of two similar sat nav's but both are well out of my price range. All I can say is "shame on you" TT for treating your customers like this ! and to find this out by reading it on the BBC webpage is also a disgrace. Very, very poor customer service !!

Comments

• Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,114
    Superuser
    @Darkspark

The only START 25 that has been declared 'End of Life' is one with the serial number starting with "BK"

"BK">Start 25, 2GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3 Eol
  • Darkspark
    Master Explorer
    Hi Niall,
    The TT website shows the sat navs that are affected are : START 20/25/45/55/60 and does not mention anything about the S/N starting with BK. So how did you know it's only the BK version?
    Mine is a BQ - so does that mean it will still be supported?
  • Niall
    Superuser
    @Darkspark

"BQ">Start 25, 8GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3

Your device has 8GB of main memory so is unaffected.
    I have an outstanding request with @Lorna / @VikramK to get that site properly set-up; with the Australian and USA sites being even worse with wrong/missing device names
  • Darkspark
    Master Explorer
    Hi Niall,
    Ok - thanks for the explanation and thanks for your assistance. :nerd:
  • Ginodicamper
    Ginodicamper Registered Users Posts: 3
    Apprentice Traveler
    The link from the bbc article gives serial number starting codes. My sat nav seems to be ok as it is ST, which is not one of the ones listed as at end of life, and as I write it is downloading a map update. I wonder how long this will continue though. I don’t know what a consumer lawyer would make of what seems to be a unilateral declaration by Tom tom. I would say that lifetime means lifetime, but then Apple has stopped updating old iPads iPods and iPhones.
  • Darkspark
    Master Explorer
    Hi Ginodicamper,
    I have again checked the BBC article "Tom Tom ditches map updates for some sat-navs"
    and I still can't see anywhere that shows serial number starting codes.
    Surely TT wouldn't rely on people reading this article by pure chance, I would have at least expected an email informing customers of their intentions!
  • Niall
    Superuser
    @Darkspark

TomTom have finally updated the FAQ https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/obsolete-products/ to include serial number info :)
  • Ginodicamper
    Ginodicamper Registered Users Posts: 3
    Apprentice Traveler
    The link in the bbc article in darker text will take you to the tt piece. I didn’t hear from tt probably because my model is not one of the unlucky ones (yet?)
  • Darkspark
    Master Explorer
    Hi Ginodicamper/Niall
    Thanks for the feedback - so now I can breathe easy but I am still amazed at how badly this announcement has been made - not very professional to say the least. Come on Tom Tom - you are better than this !! :fearful:
  • Niall
    Superuser
    TomTom have made an announcement on Facebook :) Lets see how this fairs
  • pauljloz
    pauljloz Registered Users Posts: 10
    Outstanding Explorer
    "Is your device affected? Most likely not."

Do they actually believe their own BS?