Setting up Destinations without a computer to hand — TomTom Community

Setting up Destinations without a computer to hand

harleyg98harleyg98 Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
I'm planning a trip to Morocco in March.

Leaving aside the problem that the TomTom maps for Morocco are pretty poor I'm struggling to set up a route from Agadir to my first stop at Douar Ain Lamdiour, Taroudant, 83000, Morocco.

As I don't want to be struggling with a computer on arrival at Agadir Airport – I've been trying to set up a first route and transferring it to my device - but although MyDrive says it's sent the route to my device, the route doesn't show on the device?

I've tried switching the maps on the device, so that the device is showing Africa, with the same result.

There was a really handy option on the Rider V2 to mark where you were (at that moment in time) as a Favourite or POI (for future reference).

So I thought it would be easier to add POI's or My Places when I arrived at Agadir - setting where i would be (Agadir Airport) as a Favourite - for use on the return journey. I could then set a POI as a destination on the device - but I can't work out how to do this without the computer

If I go to My Routes (on the device) to set up a route there's no option to set up a new route - just Share Tracks and Edit List - and Edit list tells me there are no routes. Should there be an Add Route or can you only Add Routes via a computer?

If I go to My Places (on the device) I can set up a 'place' in the nearest town - as the Morocco maps are so poor.

However, then when i search for Agadir Airport - or another 'large' poi the device can't find it.

On the Rider V2 I would simply ride to nowhere, switch the device on, then hit "Navigate to wherever" and it would plan the route.

Can I do this in real time, rather than planning the route on a computer before I leave?

But, even planning on the computer, I can't get it to appear on the device.

As my device isn't receiving the routes from my computer - is it possible the device/software is flaky?

Can I set a 'where i am' poi - on the device?
Can I then set a destination - on the device?
Can I set a 'Route' – on the device?

My old Rider was so simple to use – and so intuitive. It would take five minutes to fire it up, enter a destination, then set off. This is the complete opposite and I'm now wishing I'd hung onto my old device and paid for the map upgrades.

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,497
    Superusers
    Hi
    @harleyg98
    To add your current location to MyPlaces using the GO 520

On the Map screen, 'Long Tap' (Tap and hold for +1 second) On the/your Present Location Cursor/Chevron --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Tap Add to MyPlaces

Note...[1] A 'Quick Tap' and 'Long Tap' of the screen gives different menu options
    Note...[2] To add a Location thats not your present location... You can 'Long tap' anywhere on the Map Screen to add the location to MyPlaces

ATB YFM
  • harleyg98harleyg98 Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    Thanks yet again YamFazMan.

Really appreciate your help.

I'll give that a go tomorrow.