End of support — TomTom Community

End of support

Today, 29 January 2018, I recieved a mail from TomTom that the support for my old XL IQR has ended since .... 1 January 2018.

If TomTom had informed me earlier in 2017, I would have had the opportunity to load a fresh map, so I had been OK for some time to come.

Now, I'm obliged to continue using the old map, or to buy a new device.

I'm not sure that the new device will be a TomTom again.
The (too) late warning of the end of support feels like a dirty trick to trigger a new purchase.

From a disappointed customer.

Comments

• RappersRappers Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    I'm obviously not the only one to be outraged by the way Tomtom have announced that they're no longer providing updates for the XXL I received an e-mail today saying that there will no longer be updates for it (other than GPS fixes). If a product goes end-of-life (and I appreciate that it will happen), I expect to be warned months in advance, not to be told that it has already happened. I bought updated maps in July, which I wouldn't have done if I'd known that, less than seven months later I'd be getting a message to say that my device won't get any further updates. A discount on an updated device is all very well, but it's not enough to induce me to get another Tomtom sat nav after this treatment.

Have you tried finding customer service contact details on the website to let them know?
  • justmebrowsingjustmebrowsing Posts: 389 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Even the BBC have got wind of this now, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/42859546
  • NiallNiall Posts: 11,014
    Superuser
    A lot of the problems are that the email does not identify the first two characters of the serial number that the notification relates to, so in the BBC case above the user had a previous START 20, but clearly the one she has now is not affected

"AY">Start 20, 8GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3

but if the email had mentioned "AO" then

"AO">Start 20, 2GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3 Eol

Even TomTom's own site does not differentiate between the START 20s :( see https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/obsolete-products/
  • monty4169monty4169 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    TomTom GO 740 Live end of support, end of life? I don't think so, my device is still working and I paid a lot of money for my device new. This is a Microsoft tactic to get people to buy a new device with the special offer upgrade email for $20 off retail price. I WILL NEVER BUY ANTHER TOMTOM AGAIN!

The real problem is TomTom has invented a new software program and upgraded the processors in their devices which does not work with their new update software. Basically the new software speaks Chinese and the older software speaks Russian. They don't want to pay employees to manage older software in support of being loyal and not losing customers.

TomTom, how many people do you think I'm going to tell?

Final comment: My wife has an 11 year old Garmin (no live services, just a GPS), we still update her GPS through Garmin website using an SD card. Sure, I don't get live services for traffic, weather, etc....but I have a cell phone for that. That's the difference between Garmin and TomTom.

TomTom has to pay mobile charges for these services on a GO Live device, pay employees to manage old and newer software, it's taking more employees to keep up with the demand.

What they should have done: Informed folks that maps would be updated only if you use a Micro SD card but, GO Live services will no longer be supported. Then I might have purchased another TomTom in the future. They even deleted my device from my account.

So long TomTom and hello 11 year old Garmin.
  • miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,534
    Superusers
    You can put new map on your Garmin? The last version is 2019.10, do you have it? And, how much do you pay for it?