2G VODAFONE DATA SHUTDOWN IN AUSTRALIA - MARCH 2018 - Page 2 — TomTom Community

2G VODAFONE DATA SHUTDOWN IN AUSTRALIA - MARCH 2018

Comments

• tonktonktonktonk Posts: 14 [Outstanding Explorer]
    tonktonk wrote:
    I received an email overnight with a $350 voucher for my GO 5100. Quite happy with the result!
    Why is it that I only received a 50% discount voucher for owning a GO 6100? Which means I have to spend about $174 if I want to upgrade to the GO 6200 (GO 620 is the same thing for Australia market at $349???) in order to get live service via bluetooth!!!!

What qualifies an existing owner for a $350 voucher instead of a 50% discount voucher?!
    Would have thought they would be the same. Very odd!
    I bought my GO 6100 only 2 years ago. When did you get yours?
  • fredaroony2fredaroony2 Posts: 111 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    tonktonk wrote:
    tonktonk wrote:
    I received an email overnight with a $350 voucher for my GO 5100. Quite happy with the result!
    Why is it that I only received a 50% discount voucher for owning a GO 6100? Which means I have to spend about $174 if I want to upgrade to the GO 6200 (GO 620 is the same thing for Australia market at $349???) in order to get live service via bluetooth!!!!

What qualifies an existing owner for a $350 voucher instead of a 50% discount voucher?!
    In 2015
    tonktonk wrote:
    tonktonk wrote:

In 2015
    That is very odd indeed. Why then did TOMTOM offer me the 50% off rather than the $350 voucher?
  • fredaroony2fredaroony2 Posts: 111 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    tonktonk wrote:
    tonktonk wrote:
    tonktonk wrote:

In 2015
    That is very odd indeed. Why then did TOMTOM offer me the 50% off rather than the $350 voucher?

No idea mate but I would be asking.
  • TT User2TT User2 Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I've got the TT 6200, only fairly recently purchased too, I find the live traffic to be quite useful and was one of the reasons for purchasing this more expensive model. Due to the wasted money spent I was regretfully ready to utilise the Android Smartphone feature to allow for traffic feed, however I've run into a road block, is it true the mobile hotspot needs to be functioning to allow for this? If so that means I need to turn off my phone's wi-fi function each time I enable it, major inconvenience!? If this is so I think I'm going to have to purchase a competitors product starting with G, that utilises the fm radiowaves or HD frequency. Bumma!!
    TT User2 wrote:
    I've got the TT 6200, only fairly recently purchased too, I find the live traffic to be quite useful and was one of the reasons for purchasing this more expensive model. Due to the wasted money spent I was regretfully ready to utilise the Android Smartphone feature to allow for traffic feed, however I've run into a road block, is it true the mobile hotspot needs to be functioning to allow for this? If so that means I need to turn off my phone's wi-fi function each time I enable it, major inconvenience!? If this is so I think I'm going to have to purchase a competitors product starting with G, that utilises the fm radiowaves or HD frequency. Bumma!!
    I think I might look into other brand as well, it does seem a lot of hassle turning on bluetooth hot spot and connecting between phone and GPS everytime I use it. Does the other brand offer direct built-in live service?

Yes, afaik you need to turn on bluetooth hotspot on your phone and connect it to the TOMTOM in order to have an internet link to access live service data.
  • TT User2TT User2 Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    yeah ok thanks, is a hassle to change those phone settings each time in/out of the car. Yeah from what I understand the competitor's is able to use live service without a phone, but it does require a purchase of a separate gps unit-to-socket car cable to utilise the fm/HD feature. TT should go down that track, not sure if all their current stock would be compatible to handle such a feature though.
    TT User2 wrote:
    yeah ok thanks, is a hassle to change those phone settings each time in/out of the car. Yeah from what I understand the competitor's is able to use live service without a phone, but it does require a purchase of a separate gps unit-to-socket car cable to utilise the fm/HD feature. TT should go down that track, not sure if all their current stock would be compatible to handle such a feature though.
    Could you let me know which model is able to utilise that separate FM unit you mentioned? I just had a look at Garmin (were you referring to a different brand?) but couldn't find this separate FM unit you were referring to as their models seem to also utilise pairing with a mobile phone.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,976 Superusers
    Hi
    @TT User2
    You mean like this Traffic Receiver that Tomtom already sell....
    https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/accessories/chargers-cables/traffic-receiver/
    Scroll down to see compatible SatNav devices
    The Tomtom Live Traffic Over Built-in SIM or Smart Phone is far superior

I use a GO 520 & 620 in the UK....
    Yes when you are in the broadcast area of you Home Wi-Fi the Wi-Fi has priority over Bluetooth (But the device still shows Live Traffic over Wifi)

For me once you are out of the broadcast area of you Home Wi-Fi, the switch over to Bluetooth + Phone is automatic and seamless, iPhone 5 or Nokia 625 Win10 Phone

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

It looks like it's compatible with 6200 series, but not able to purchase in the AU TT webstore. Anyone know if it works in Australia?

I know what you mean about the auto switch to bluetooth, but I think the concern is with the required 'Hot Spot' function needed to be enabled on the phone, this has to be done manually, and that will then disable the phone's wi-fi until manually turned back on again :(
    Hi
    @TT User2
    My GO 520 & 620 are paired to to my Home Wi-Fi (For updating)
    My GO 520 & 620 are paired to the Bluetooth on my Phones

If my Phone is on I simply turn on the GO 5/620 the device the device connects (small pulsing BT logo appears screen bottom right) a phone Icon shows when connected... That's it

If my Phone is off I simply turn on my Phone wait for it to boot-up, turn on the GO x20 the device the device connects as above

If I park the Car I turn off the GO 5/620 & stow the device, walk away... On return start up the GO 5/620 the device the device connects as above... Easy peasy

I used to buy a Data Goody Bag for the Live Traffic...
    One month I forgot to renew, and the Data was billed to my Pay as you Go Account, the charge was so small I haven't bothered to renew my Data Goody Bag
    But obviously If your a Professional Driver on the road every day, you would use more data

[h3]TomTom Traffic data usage[/h3]https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1576

ATB YFM

yeah thanks, I think my issue with the phone & gps unit connection was the "bluetooth tethering", I only had bluetooth and mobile hotspot enabled. But with bluetooth tethering enabled, I think it might auto work without needing to manually turn on the mobile hotspot option in addition...
    https://au.support.tomtom.com/app/content/name/Connect/page/3/session/?utm_source=oneoff&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=co_dr_sundown_201803_prato
  • Robert_xyzRobert_xyz Posts: 32 [Outstanding Explorer]
    WOW! THE ARROGANCE OF TOMTOM FOR ALL TO SEE - WHERE THEY SAY...

"WE UNDERSTAND THAT LIVE SERVICES MIGHT BE IMPORTANT TO YOU"

THAT SUMS UP TOMTOM PERFECTLY. THEY HAVE DOWNPLAYED THE IMPORTANCE OF THIS VERY SERVICE IN WHICH CONSUMERS OF THESE PRODUCTS PAID A HIGH PRICE FOR AND WHICH TOMTOM HAVE PERFECTLY DEMONSTRATED THEIR LACK OF VALUE IN THEIR CUSTOMER BASE.

THIS IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF HOW TO Pxxx OFF YOUR CUSTOMER BASE AND DEMONSTRATE A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND APPRECIATION.

NUFF SAID
    I am not happy with the offer from Tom Tom.
    I have a 6100 model bought only 2 years ago.
    I will lose the 2G connection soon here in Australia
    to shutdown on the 30th April 2018.
    I got an offer for a 50% voucher but when I looked
    there is no replacement for the 6100 with a SIM card
    that I can use for say the 3G or 4G network.
    I don't have a smart phone to be able to use Bluetooth for live updates.
    So - I bought the Tom Tom for the live traffic info & now I've lost it.
    I paid more than double the price of a Nav Man all based on the Live traffic info.
    The email from Tom Tom was disingenuous because it didn't make that point clear.
    It made me think that I could buy an upgraded Tom Tom with the same features for 50% off.
    It was only when I looked on their website that I found there was no such model.
    Not only that the latest model doesn't have a suction cup mount
    for my windscreen - it says "a magnetic mount"
    I don't have any steel to stick it to in front of the windscreen.
    I think I know why - the 2G connection was costing Tom Tom a fortune
    so they weren't going to continue with a 3G or 4G version.
    Tom Tom wants me to be spend $1000 on a new Tom Tom with Blue tooth & a smart phone and then not even be able to attach it to my windscreen -
    what a lousy deal.
    As much as I like my 6100 Tom Tom I won't be buying another Tom Tom.
    I will search around for something that will do what the 6100 will do.
    Tom Tom has gone backwards with their technology - offering less for more.
    Also - the email I was sent was a "no reply" type and every other contact I tried didn't work either.
    It seems that Tom Tom doesn't like replying to angry customers.
    Oh well - it was a good 2 years while it lasted.
    Hi
    @Robert_xyz
    Robert_xyz wrote:
    It was only when I looked on their website that I found there was no such model.
    There is a suction cup on the mount the 'magnet' refers to the the way the device is held in the mount not the way the mount is held onto the Windscreen
    9a3101ae-72c7-4629-9893-e7932ea940a1.png
    Robert_xyz wrote:
    Here in the UK 2G is still available and in widespread use
    The Tomtom devices using a SIM for Live Services are available for purchase

It's Australia shutting down 2G service that's the issue

ATB YFM

They offered $174.50 and $100 respectively.

I have rejected their 'offer' and requested a full credit for the GO6100 and at least 50% credit for the GO6200.

I have advised them their 'offer' is not acceptable and if no further 'reasonable' offer is forthcoming then I along with others will be seeking legal advice regarding recourse / class action information through the relevant Australian agencies / courts.

'Lifetime' services was the key selling point.
    Price was the ultimate premium paid in the market.
    Services via SIM with no further out of pocket expenses was the big sell.
    Consumers do not like to be out of pocket - in this case by miles.
    Australian consumer protection agencies do not like this sort of behaviour.

Finally - and here's the killer bit of info - TomTom knew years in advance when the 2G network was going to be shut down by VodaFone Australia, yet continued knowingly to sell their high end products at a premium in that knowledge.

That's the bit that will add to their undoing in this case and demonstrate their disingenuous intentions throughout this ordeal.

Chris
    YamFazMan wrote:
    Hi
    @Robert_xyz
    Robert_xyz wrote:
    There is a suction cup on the mount the 'magnet' refers to the the way the device is held in the mount not the way the mount is held onto the Windscreen9a3101ae-72c7-4629-9893-e7932ea940a1.png

Robert_xyz wrote:
    It is Australia shutting down 2G service that's the issue

ATB YFM
    Thanks for that - the advertising should have told me that -
    I shouldn't have to read it in a forum.
    bad communication by Tom Tom.
    So, TT made their offer to me today. I have a 2.5 yr old GO6100 and a 1yr 3mth GO6200.

I have rejected their 'offer' and requested a full credit for the GO6100 and at least 50% credit for the GO6200.

I have advised them their 'offer' is not acceptable and if no further 'reasonable' offer is forthcoming then I along with others will be seeking legal advice regarding recourse / class action information through the relevant Australian agencies / courts.

Finally - and here's the killer bit of info - TomTom knew years in advance when the 2G network was going to be shut down by VodaFone Australia, yet continued knowingly to sell their high end products at a premium in that knowledge.

That's the bit that will add to their undoing in this case and demonstrate their disingenuous intentions throughout this ordeal.

Chris
    The thing is if I could have paid half price for a 6100 style with 3G or 4G connection
    then I'd buy one tomorrow. I want the same service that I had before -
    not clowning around with a Bluetooth connection
    to a smart phone that I don't have.
  • goonerashgoonerash Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    So, TT made their offer to me today. I have a 2.5 yr old GO6100 and a 1yr 3mth GO6200.

Chris
    They made me a 50% offer last week and i said to them basically what you said here and got a $350 offer on Monday night, which covers the cost of a new device. I had a 5100 that was 26 months old
  • fechfech Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    I'M NOT HAPPY EITHER.

Have been offered a 50% discount on new device.

That means I have to fork out a further $150 on another device of similar features. That will take my total outlay to over $500 dollars.

TOMTOM should offer replacement devices.

We are being conned.

I will be rejecting their offer and shall contact Consumer Affairs.
  • chrisworld_un12chrisworld_un12 Posts: 65 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Everyone should be rejecting an offer similar to mine and contacting Fair Trading without delay so that a register of complaints is formed. Once the stream of complaints start building - and they are, Fair Trading will no doubt engage and act.

The fact that TomTom knew years in advance when the 2G network was going to be shut down by Vodafone Australia, yet continued to knowingly sell their high end products at a premium is the king hit on top of the fact that we have devices in some cases only a little over a year old that now do not perform as intended with LiveTraffic. And those are the main points.

As an aside, I had the customer service (Shraddah) pass my complaint on to the Supervisor (Tejas) - letter replicated below...

Dear XXXXX, my name is Tejas and I will be assisting you to resolve your query.

This incident was escalated to me by Shraddha.

I understand that you are not happy with 2G Shut Down and the compensation offer your received is not reasonable.

We are sorry for the trouble and I would feel the same if that happened to me.

Dear Chris, the offer being sent is customized for every customer considering the date of purchase and model of their TomTom Device like in your case the device has already served you for more than a year and hence we have offered you a discount for the loss of SIM Connection.

Please note that device is still in working condition and you will still be able to use it for Navigation & Speed Camera Alerts according to the Australian Consumer Law. Please be rest assured that we have already checked all the resources, rules and laws before sending you these offers and this is the best we can offer you at the moment.

If you need the traffic feature then please use this discount to purchase our SmartPhone Connected devices and it should resolve your issue.

Also, you can use this discount to purchase any other products from our website, as your device is still in working condition and if you don't want to purchase a new device.

We will be more than happy to assist you further if you need any help.

We thank you for your patience and cooperation all this while.

With Best Regards

Tejas P.
    Supervisor-APAC Customer Support
  • biffkensonbiffkenson Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    YamFazMan wrote:
    Hi
    @Robert_xyz
    Robert_xyz wrote:
    There is a suction cup on the mount the 'magnet' refers to the the way the device is held in the mount not the way the mount is held onto the Windscreen9a3101ae-72c7-4629-9893-e7932ea940a1.png

Robert_xyz wrote:

It's Australia shutting down 2G service that's the issue

ATB YFM

It's not as if Australia is the odd man out on this. Aside from the UK, France and Germany much of the world has either moved or has scheduled a move away from 2G. It's not a Country or Government issue either so 'Australia' is not shutting down 2G - wireless carriers that do business there are. These moves are being driven by competition in these markets.

TomTom could have guaranteed a longer lifespan for these devices by adding a small incremental cost upfront using 3G radios but instead they are taking a bath with vouchers and discounts.

Why make and market a product you know won't work in a couple of years? You think Vodafone told them they were never shutting off 2G?
    biffkensen - the point that was and is continuing to be made loudly was the fact that TT knew precisely when VodaFone were shutting down the 2G network in Australia - yet continued to sell the GPS units close to this time frame in that full knowledge.

They were not forthcoming on whether or not the internal sim was 2G/3G compatible - nor were they upfront about what was happening irrespective of those important aspects.

They treated their customer base with disrespect and for that they are now having to make amends - and compensate.
    Further to my last post - it is interesting to note that VodaFone continue to have 2G available in Sydney CBD. Perhaps it is switched off in segments and areas over time? Until then, the GPS continues to provide LiveTraffic services in the interim - although this will discontinue without further notice.

Goodbye 2G - it was nice knowing you.

PS - i am also unhappy that there were no TT moderators providing any info or feedback in these posts.

Does TT or any moderators know when or if TT will have a GPS with in-built sim running off the 4G network coming anytime soon?
  • goonerashgoonerash Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    On the Vodafone site it has been announced that they are delaying the switch off by two months