2G VODAFONE DATA SHUTDOWN IN AUSTRALIA - MARCH 2018 — TomTom Community

2G VODAFONE DATA SHUTDOWN IN AUSTRALIA - MARCH 2018

chrisworld_un12chrisworld_un12 Posts: 65 [Prominent Wayfarer]
COULD TOMTOM PLEASE ADVISE ALL AUSTRALIAN GO 6100 / 6200 CONSUMERS OF WHAT ACTIONS TOMTOM HAS TAKEN TO PREVENT DISADVANTAGE THROUGH THEIR DEVICE NOT WORKING AS INTENDED WHEN THE 2G NETWORK SHUTS DOWN IN APPROXIMATELY 2 MONTHS TIME?

Comments

• NiallNiall Posts: 10,570 Superuser
    Help others identify useful content :-
    If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍
    If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • chrisworld_un12chrisworld_un12 Posts: 65 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Hi Niall

I had a read through the thread for the 17.301 update for the WiFi 6200 and this does not address the issue i have raised in my thread.

TomTom need to advise what action they have taken so no consumers in Australia are left disadvantaged by the 2G shutdown.

If the 17.301 update simply allows a user to receive Live Services via a smartphone, then the consumer is disadvantaged by having to use their own data at a personal financial cost that is perpetual.

That outcome is unacceptable as the very reason why consumers purchased their hi-end expensive WiFi models was to ensure no further ongoing costs.

So i along with a number of Australian consumers are eagerly awaiting TomTom's response to this issue and one that is FAIR AND REASONABLE - as is expected under Australian Consumer Law.

THE COUNT-DOWN IS ON
  • fredaroony2fredaroony2 Posts: 111 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I have a GO 5100 so keen to hear what they are planning to do. They released an update for the x200 devices already.
    I not only have a GO 6200 / I also have a GO 6100 which will also be in need of a 'FIX' by TT in March when the 2G Network is shut-down. We have all paid a premium for these devices and will expect a replacement at the very least of like for like or financial compensation by way of refunds should TT not remedy this unacceptable situation - One that TT has known about for a number of years.
    Could a TT representative / moderator please provide some information to us all on this important issue because the Australian 2G shutdown happens next month.
    HI ETHOZ

SO I NOTE FROM THE TT MODERATORS FIRST POST TO THAT TOPIC YOUR LINK GOES TO, STATES THAT ALL AFFECTED CUSTOMERS WOULD RECEIVE AN EMAIL IN DUE COURSE OUTLINING THE NEXT STEPS.

... SO TO TOMTOM / MODERATORS, WHERE IS THIS EMAIL??? WE HAVE APPROX 6 WEEKS LEFT TO RUN.

TICK TOCK ...
    Australian Customer Support said... (QUOTE - with redacted identifiers)

"As discussed, you wanted to know what is happening post 2G SIM stops working on your Go 6100 / Go 6200 Wi-Fi devices.

As informed, this is still under discussion in our team and the customers having such devices will be notified via emails before 31 March 2018.

Be rest assured that as a valuable TomTom Customer , we will try our best to come up with most feasible solution for you."

BTW the above are not my grammatical errors either. It is a direct cut and paste from the email they sent me.

So as you can see, they are STILL trying to come to some sort of resolution. This is simply startling considering they have known about this shutdown for years!

TICK TOCK
    March 1st tomorrow and nothing from Tomtom. I guess the traffic on my GO5100 is going to stop working.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,213 Superusers
    Call support to see what is being done:

:flag_au: Australia
    1300 135 604
    Monday-Friday:9:00 am to 5:30 pm AEST
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 629 [Supreme Pioneer]
    It is noticeable that, despite this thread being in existence for 5 weeks, NOT a single TomTom Rep has bothered to respond!!

:drooling_face::rage:

Regards,

John-Jay

John-Jay wrote:
    It is noticeable that, despite this thread being in existence for 5 weeks, NOT a single TomTom Rep has bothered to respond!!

:drooling_face::rage:

Yes, it's poor and then you have someone suggesting to call them lol
    ... I know right? - What a joke!

On 31 March in 4 weeks time they will need to have this sorted. If not then Australian Consumer Protection action commences.
  • SpectrixSpectrix Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    I had traffic services working up until late last night (29th February).
    This message appeared on my Go 6200 this morning around 1:30am (1st March) as I was driving home.

"Your device's built-in SIM is no longer supported in this country. You can still connect to TomTom Traffic and other services by connecting your device to a phone that has a data connection."

For the record, there has been no email or any sort of explanation from TomTom at this point.

07afdb06-d889-4ecb-a28f-a87a9f13db88.jpg
    Spectrix wrote:
    I had traffic services working up until late last night (29th February).
    This message appeared on my Go 6200 this morning around 1:30am (1st March) as I was driving home.

"Your device's built-in SIM is no longer supported in this country. You can still connect to TomTom Traffic and other services by connecting your device to a phone that has a data connection."

For the record, there has been no email or any sort of explanation from TomTom at this point.

07afdb06-d889-4ecb-a28f-a87a9f13db88.jpg
    My 5100 is still working for data, I just checked it now at 6:05AM in Sydney
    Found this on the vodafone website https://www.vodafone.com.au/red-wire/goodbye-to-2g

00eddee8-5b1b-4e68-b725-b92f0f2a4e25.png
    I updated my GO6200 yesterday and yes the same message "NO DATA CONNECTION" appeared as well. The unit still does work and receive the GPRS 2G connection - and i dare say that will be the case up until the day it is switched off.

It appears TT have prepared the end users in this update with embedded info to ensure they can connect via their own smart phone and data connection at their expense in order to maintain a Live Traffic Data connection.

And this is the main point. TT have yet to advise their customer base how they are going to ensure that no customer is 'disadvantaged' (i.e.- having to pay more money) to ensure the same level of service continues via this product going forward. To date they have not.

Many people - including me - have paid a high premium when we purchased these products (I have a Go 6100 and 6200 for both cars) to ensure a continuous Live Data Connection was included at no extra cost for the 'Lifetime' of these products. Less than two years let alone 5 years is unreasonable in the extreme - and it is for this reason alone that consumers will be seeking compensation and redress through Australia's Consumer Protection Agencies.

TICK TOCK... time is running out!
    I received an email overnight with a $350 voucher for my GO 5100. Quite happy with the result!
    If this is true then you are the only one to date that i have heard of.

Are you able to copy the email or content so we can see how TT are dealing with this in words?

Are there any moderators out there able to add any further information to this issue?

Cheers, Chris
    OK HOLD THE PRESS!

I JUST SPOKE WITH TT CUST SERVICE IN AUSTRALIA AND THEY TELL ME ALL AFFECTED CUSTOMERS SHOULD RECEIVE AN EMAIL OVER THE NEXT WEEK OR TWO. SOME HAVE ALREADY RECEIVED THESE.

DEPENDING ON WHICH MODEL YOU HAVE AND WHEN YOU PURCHASED IT - WILL DETERMINE THE AMOUNT OF FINANCIAL COMPENSATION BY BY WAY OF VOUCHER THAT YOU WILL RECEIVE.

IF YOU HAVE A WIFI MODEL- GO 52/6200 THEN YOU WILL BE ABLE TO KEEP THE DEVICE AND CONNECT VIA YOUR SMARTPHONE - AND RECEIVE A COMPENSATION VOUCHER AS WELL.

HOPE THIS HELPS - BECAUSE TT SHORE AS HELL HAVE NOT BEEN VERY HELPFUL WITH KEEPING THEIR CUSTOMER BASE WELL INFORMED AS YOU WOULD EXPECT.

CHEERS, CHRIS
    Here you go15c2363a-246f-457e-ab46-14c55507de6b.png
    WOW! THE ARROGANCE OF TOMTOM FOR ALL TO SEE - WHERE THEY SAY...

"WE UNDERSTAND THAT LIVE SERVICES MIGHT BE IMPORTANT TO YOU"

THAT SUMS UP TOMTOM PERFECTLY. THEY HAVE DOWNPLAYED THE IMPORTANCE OF THIS VERY SERVICE IN WHICH CONSUMERS OF THESE PRODUCTS PAID A HIGH PRICE FOR AND WHICH TOMTOM HAVE PERFECTLY DEMONSTRATED THEIR LACK OF VALUE IN THEIR CUSTOMER BASE.

THIS IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF HOW TO PISS OFF YOUR CUSTOMER BASE AND DEMONSTRATE A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND APPRECIATION.

NUFF SAID
    WOW! THE ARROGANCE OF TOMTOM FOR ALL TO SEE - WHERE THEY SAY...

"WE UNDERSTAND THAT LIVE SERVICES MIGHT BE IMPORTANT TO YOU"

THAT SUMS UP TOMTOM PERFECTLY. THEY HAVE DOWNPLAYED THE IMPORTANCE OF THIS VERY SERVICE IN WHICH CONSUMERS OF THESE PRODUCTS PAID A HIGH PRICE FOR AND WHICH TOMTOM HAVE PERFECTLY DEMONSTRATED THEIR LACK OF VALUE IN THEIR CUSTOMER BASE.

THIS IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF HOW TO PISS OFF YOUR CUSTOMER BASE AND DEMONSTRATE A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND APPRECIATION.

NUFF SAID

Mate, enough with the caps lock! lol

Not sure how you can say that when they are giving the customer a free GPS years afterwards to make up for it.
  • tonktonktonktonk Posts: 14 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I received an email overnight with a $350 voucher for my GO 5100. Quite happy with the result!
    Why is it that I only received a 50% discount voucher for owning a GO 6100? Which means I have to spend about $174 if I want to upgrade to the GO 6200 (GO 620 is the same thing for Australia market at $349???) in order to get live service via bluetooth!!!!

What qualifies an existing owner for a $350 voucher instead of a 50% discount voucher?!
    tonktonk wrote:
    Why is it that I only received a 50% discount voucher for owning a GO 6100? Which means I have to spend about $174 if I want to upgrade to the GO 6200 (GO 620 is the same thing for Australia market at $349???) in order to get live service via bluetooth!!!!

What qualifies an existing owner for a $350 voucher instead of a 50% discount voucher?!

Would have thought they would be the same. Very odd!