Loading music onto Spark 3 Music

fatlo
fatlo Registered Users Posts: 10
Legendary Explorer
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Uploading music to the device does not work for me.
I was wondering if there is a special trick to accomplish this.

I have:
  • Windows 10
  • mp3 files without copyright protection stored on the computer's hard drive
  • a playlist organised in Windows Media Player
  • a freshly downloaded TomTom Sports Connect
  • when I click the music icon, the playlist is offered as source for the file transfer
  • after a few seconds, the program says I has encountered an error and I should contact customer support
I still hope that customer support can find a better answer than the standard "file stored on computer, no copy protection, suitable format, needs playlist" answer ...

Any suggestions what I could try?

Comments

  • Secrycom
    Secrycom Registered Users Posts: 33
    Apprentice Traveler
    For a couple of weeks, I have the same problem. Till december it worked well, but now I have constantly errors when the watch has searced for playllists. Customer support knows about the problem, but they can't fix it (till so far).
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 17,004
     Superuser
    fatlo wrote:
    Uploading music to the device does not work for me.
    I was wondering if there is a special trick to accomplish this.

    I have:
    • Windows 10
    • mp3 files without copyright protection stored on the computer's hard drive
    • a playlist organised in Windows Media Player
    • a freshly downloaded TomTom Sports Connect
    • when I click the music icon, the playlist is offered as source for the file transfer
    • after a few seconds, the program says I has encountered an error and I should contact customer support
    I still hope that customer support can find a better answer than the standard "file stored on computer, no copy protection, suitable format, needs playlist" answer ...

    Any suggestions what I could try?
    Have you followed the instructions you were given and contacted Customer Support?
  • Secrycom
    Secrycom Registered Users Posts: 33
    Apprentice Traveler
    Yes I have. They have (TomTom support) also logged in on my computer, and I have sent all the crash reports and log files. I even have resetted my desktop, but nothing works. The synchronisation goes well, but searching for playlists not. I made the playlist with Windwows Media Player in the right way.
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 17,004
     Superuser
    Secrycom wrote:
    Yes I have. They have (TomTom support) also logged in on my computer, and I have sent all the crash reports and log files. I even have resetted my desktop, but nothing works. The synchronisation goes well, but searching for playlists not. I made the playlist with Windwows Media Player in the right way.
    You know you can simply drag the playlists right into the Music Folder through a File Explorer window, right? When you plug the watch into your computer it mounts as a hard drive. You do not need to use the Connect software.
  • Secrycom
    Secrycom Registered Users Posts: 33
    Apprentice Traveler
    According to TomTom support, that is not the right way and it can give problems when you listen to it. But I can try doing it this way.
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 17,004
     Superuser
    Secrycom wrote:
    According to TomTom support, that is not the right way and it can give problems when you listen to it. But I can try doing it this way.
    It is worth a shot and it does work. I do not know why they say it is not the right way as it is in the documentation.
  • Secrycom
    Secrycom Registered Users Posts: 33
    Apprentice Traveler
    I can't find it in the documentation, only the other way (let sports connect search). Is it possible to give a link or an attachment? Is the problem solved for you?
  • fatlo
    fatlo Registered Users Posts: 10
    Legendary Explorer
    Interesting idea to use the file explorer. But my system refuses to copy the playlist file, says it needs admin rights. And even if I grant admin rights, it then says I need permission to write a file to the music folder.

    Frankly, I did not expect it to be that difficult. Copying music files to an external drive should not be an issue in 2018.

    But maybe there is a special trick I am not aware of. The thing that worries me for tomtom is that I don't need anything fancy for other external drives, USB sticks, Arduino Microcontroler Boards, SmartPhones ... they simply work.
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,710
    Moderator
    Hi Secrycom

    I see that the customer service has booked a repair for your device after trying different troubleshooting ways to resolve the issue.

    Once the replacement watch arrives, try to upload the music again and let's see how it goes.

    Regards
    Vikram
  • Secrycom
    Secrycom Registered Users Posts: 33
    Apprentice Traveler
    Yes, but that is my first watch. I have another Spark 3 with the same problem. This watch crashes also after searching for playlists. Till December both watches worked well.
    I don't understand it at all.
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,710
    Moderator
    @Secrycom

    Have you tried using a different computer, just in case that works?
    :thinking:

    -Vikram
  • Secrycom
    Secrycom Registered Users Posts: 33
    Apprentice Traveler
    My friend also has a desktop with Windows 10 and there we have the same problem. The watch have been to a computershop and they have also tried it on a laptop with a clean installation. The same problem.
  • fatlo
    fatlo Registered Users Posts: 10
    Legendary Explorer
    I have finally solved the issue for my case:

    When I tried to copy file manually, the system complained about missing access rights.
    And that continued even after I had granted admin privileges.
    This puzzled me for a bit. But then I found a software on my (new) computer (HP Client Security) that blocked write access to (some) USB media: I was able to write to an external HDD but not to USB sticks ... or the Spark.
    After I granted write access to the USB sticks, the software worked as expected and copied the play lists.

    As an after though: it would have been more helpful if the software said "I cannot write to the Spark, please check your access rights." instead of something along the lines of "Oups, some terrible problem happened, please contact support".
  • Secrycom
    Secrycom Registered Users Posts: 33
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thanks for all your replies. How can I granted write access to the USB sticks/ Spark 3? What is the right procedure to to this?
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 17,004
     Superuser
    That is going to be a setting specifically for your computer. We would not know how to do that here. I would suggest searching the documentation for your computer or OS. You can try calling Customer Support but they may not have it as there are thousands of different computers out there.
  • fatlo
    fatlo Registered Users Posts: 10
    Legendary Explorer
    vor my HP computer it was the software "HP Client Security"