Swimming and pulse

siggy
siggy Registered Users Posts: 1
New Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hi,

I was wondering why when in swim mode the pulse function does not work. I would find this feature very useful to keep track of my pulse zone while swimming more intense sets. Also I were curious if I put the clock in for example freestyle mode and got my pulse there and then swum, would this be okay or not?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    siggy wrote:
    Hi,

I was wondering why when in swim mode the pulse function does not work. I would find this feature very useful to keep track of my pulse zone while swimming more intense sets. Also I were curious if I put the clock in for example freestyle mode and got my pulse there and then swum, would this be okay or not?
    It does not activate the HR monitor in swimming because the technology is not as accurate in the water and will give poor results. You can use freestyle and see if it is accurate enough for you. You will get pulse but will lose swim metrics.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Noetxu
    Noetxu Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi,
    I used it as freestyle and the results in HR were poor and the GPS tracking were no better because it lost the GPS signal everytime I put my wrist under the water (you know, when you swim it happens each second)
    I found a solution which is not the best one, but I used it and it works better than using the device in the standard way (I tried only in open waters). I set the watch in freestyle and put it on my head below my swimming hat. Surprisingly the HR and the GPS work because the device is not under the water, and it is protected by the hat. And the results with the GPS were very good... HR: Not very sure they were the best, but definitly better than using it on my wrist.
    Disadvantages: the watch was no designed for that purpouse and it is unconfortable.