Tomtom GO 520 Live Traffic not working in Toronto — TomTom Community

Tomtom GO 520 Live Traffic not working in Toronto

Jim FJim F Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
I live and brought my Tomtom 520 wifi in the UK. However I travel to Canada frequently particularly Toronto area. All works fine in the UK traffic included. However when in Toronto (I have the North America map loaded OK) I do not get Live traffic. Is there something I am doing wrong? Tomtom 520 sold there so should work. Thanks if you can help.

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,213 Superusers
    The sim card in your device is not compatible with the 520 sim cards in Canada. So, no Live traffic on your device, I suspect.

You can call Canadian support to confirm:

877-757-7137
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST
  • Jim FJim F Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Thank you. But I do not have a SIM in my TomTom. I made an error in my original notice. I have a TomTom 520 without a SIM which I tether to my mobile phone with a Canadian SIM (Virgin Mobile Canada) via wifi. But when back in Toronto I will call them. Again my thanks.
    OK so to it looks as if no Traffic info for except for Europe. I should have read the 'small print'. I find it hard to believe though that TomTom do not support Live Traffic in North America. But thanks EthoZ.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,213 Superusers
    It does support Live Traffic in North America --- if the device was purchased in North America.

I have a Go 520, live in Toronto, and have Live Traffic.

The North American models of 520 are different than the European ones in that the North American models do not require tethering plans to work.
    Many thanks. Too bad. The 520 here uses wifi tether to smart phone only. The 5200 has the SIM card. I would have thought tethering would be ok for Traffic whether in Toronto or UK. It works well in Toronto for updates, Siri and does link to my mobile for tel calls etc. I looked at the specs for Tom 520 purchased at Best Buy in Toronto and it says that is wifi connected only and does not have SIM. But again thanks for the comments. Cheers.
  • PedrolamiPedrolami Posts: 10 [Master Traveler]
    A Tomtom TMC receiver would allow you to get traffic updates for the device. Whilst it isn’t live traffic, it still allows you to avoid the traffic problems.