End of life for TomTom devices - Page 5 — TomTom Community

End of life for TomTom devices

Comments

• kimcsabakimcsaba Posts: 23 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    VikramK wrote: »
    Starting from the 05th March 2019 some more Nav2 and Nav3 devices will be considered as EOL. This means that for those devices we won't sell any maps or services. I have updated the announcement with the serial numbers above.

Dont buy a replacement TomTom, as when they want more revenue they will EOL the new one too, very devious practice. I will never buy TomTom again.
  • kimcsabakimcsaba Posts: 23 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Bchops wrote: »
    Hi VikramK, I received my email on 19th March telling me my TT is EOL. I have a Go 910 V7 with 18 GB which seems plenty of capacity for the new maps. Therefore, would you let me know whether there is another reason why it has made EOL please.

.......so they can extort more money from your wallet to put in their bank account, there is no other reason, do not waste your money buying a new TomTom, they will EOL that whenever they fancy, you have no guarantee when EOL will happen so it could be the day after you buy it. TomTom cannot be trusted. They are also contributing to massive environmental damage by killing off perfectly good devices.
  • LeonardHLeonardH Posts: 8 [Apprentice Seeker]
    interesting reading all the comments about end-of-life of devices. I have a Via 220, purchased around Sept 2011. I created an account, and got 2 emails.

1) A voucher for $20 AUS - which i never used, and now it seems to have expired (tried using the voucher today just to see if it is active). However, reading the terms and conditions in the email below no mention of the fact that the voucher will expired...

Terms and conditions
    - Each voucher code is valid for one transaction at www.tomtom.com, when its full value will be deducted. Please note it is a case sensitive.
    -Your voucher code must be used in the web shop of your country of registration and is not exchangeable for cash.
    - Your voucher code cannot be redeemed via TomTom HOME or the Apple iTunes Store.
    - Each device owner may only redeem one voucher code.
    -The voucher code may only be used to buy products and accessories with a value of $20 or more.

2) At the time I bought the Tomtom circa 2011 I just couldn't connect the TomTom software with the device and update the map. It just never worked for me so I gave up on that.

3) For 8 years the device worked, until in April 2019 it stopped. Couldn't get signal anymore - due to the 1024 week bug. I got the patch, and it is working again.
    (Had lost the map, etc, long story) but back on the 2011 map.

4) Tomtom offer now a new map to me with $15 discount. However, the Via is not a supported device anymore (execpt if you have lifetime maps!)l So it is not supported, yet it is supported. Tomtom wants to sell me a new map, but the device is not supported, but they do offer the map on the Via (which is supported) if you originally have the coupon with activation code for lifetime maps.

5) I checked my Gmail account. I don't see any old email that tells me the Via 220 is going unsupported device, so that I can quickly buy the latest map before the goes belly up (except for those lucky people that had lifetime maps). Its supported, its not supported, its supported its not supported you get the idea.

6) I am now trying to buy a map +4 updates for the VIA 220. Contacted Support to hear what they say. Can I buy a map for the VIA 220 ? Its a mystery...
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,958 Superuser
    Hi @LeonardH

Here are details on the Obsolete units and I don't see the Via 220 listed. Also on a recent post you did Vikram suggested that you contacted Customer support which does not suggest your unit is Obsolete.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1031975/end-of-life-for-tomtom-devices/p1

There have been a number who received emails incorrectly suggesting their units were becoming obsolete when they were not or they had had an older unit they no longer used.

If you are considering a new unit you can always contact customer support and see what discount they will offer as a loyalty discount.

Doug
    Hi @DougLap

I checked the published link out:
    https://www.tomtom.com/en_au/obsolete-products/#car
    (Australia/NZ)

LIST OF AFFECTED DEVICES
    Devices no longer supported:
    * VIA 110(AG)/130(AV)/220(AQ)

I have a VIA 220 - so this link says its unsupported.
    When I get offered $15 dollar discount when I select to buy a map, in the shopping trolley area it says a small ? mark rollover/popup that my device is not supported My guess would be that if I do buy the map then it won't install and I have to ask for a refund.

What is amazing to me is that if I understand it correctly I could install the latest map, if I had that magic lifetime maps thingy for the VIA 220. The VIA 220 is capable to be upgrade with the latest map.

Digging further, the USA list doesn't list the VIA 220 as absolute, however does list the
    START 20(AO)/25(BK) as absolute. I think START 20 and VIA 220 is the exact same device just different names for different continents.

I am now waiting on support to hear if I can buy the map...
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,976 Superusers
    edited April 28
    Hi
    @LeonardH

Australian Models... Find the model of your navigation device and what software it uses
    https://au.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9520
    Serial Numbers beginning 'AO' or 'AQ' 2GB inboard Memory Eol
    "AO">Via 220, 2GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect
    "AQ">Via 220, 2GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect

Serial Numbers beginning 'AR' 4GB inboard Memory
    "AR">Via 220, 4GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect
    Your device is a TomTom Via 220 with 4GB memory and it updates through MyDrive Connect.
    Your device is fully supported through phone and email. You can also get help through our user forum and FAQs.

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

My serial number starts with AO.

Serial Number

Your device is a TomTom Via 220 with 2GB memory and it updates through MyDrive Connect.
    Important:​ Your device is no longer supported through phone, and it's not possible to buy new maps and services for your device. You can still get help through our user forum and FAQs. More information.

Okay I see, so if you have a 2GB memory its unsupported, but if it was a 4GB memory it would be supported. I am still bit perplexed here.

1) So the SD card then has nothing to do with it, this is purely an internal memory issue. Can't load the map into a "small" 2GB internal memory.

2) I checked my Gmail a couple of time (i never delete emails). TomTom at no point seems to have contacted me with the following information:

a) Via 220 (your device) is unsupported from date onwards.

b) This is the last map for this device which will fit into the 2GB of internal memory.

(PS as an aside, the internal memory is the working memory if you did buy a SD card of 16 GB and have a 10 GB map in it it should still work, since the working 2GB of memory only reads portions of the larger map. I would guess with 3D maps you need more internal memory hence the 2GB is getting to small for all those cool 3D map features...)

c) You can continue to buy the "latest" map that fits for another 5 years.

So in the end, what is the version number of the latest map that will still fit?
    PS: the NZ map that I currently have the 2011 version is about 27 MB in size, so tiny.
    How big is the 2019 NZ map in comparison? PS: I think I have the latest operating system on the device, I didn't see any new features to indicate that the operating system will now need much more internal memory to run the features of the device.

I am still perplexed ;)

Hi
    @LeonardH

Devices with lifetime maps are not affected
    Tomtom have already stated that Lifetime Maps and any Existing Map Subscriptions will be honoured

See VikramK Post (TomTom Staff) Here....

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/news-and-announcements-37/end-of-life-device-with-lifetime-maps-1032484/index1.html#post1207861

If you have Lifetime Maps or an existing Map Subscriptions
    Call Tomtom Support...

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/988105/customer-support-phone-numbers/p1

When calling....
    Tomtom are monitoring Eol support by an Auto Response System
    When prompted DO NOT provide your Tomtom model information, If you do, you will only receive an recoded message
    Wait for a live agent to respond

ATB YFM

@LeonardH

Back in May 2011 I purchased my first Tomtom it was a NAV2 XL Live IQ Europe, I returned home and updated the device, I immediately realised the latest Full Europe Map would not install and I was offered Map Zones... for me this was a deal breaker
    I returned the XL Live IQ routes to the retail outlet... Paid the difference in price and exchanged it for for a NAV3 Via 120 Live (With 4GB on-board Memory), so even 8 years ago Memory versus Map size was a problem
    Until they recently Tomtom were still supporting devices up to 14 years old, I guess they decided they needed to draw a line in the sand, and chose devices with 2GB or less on-board Memory

At the time I Purchased the NAV3 Via 120 Live Europe... For less money I could have purchased the NAV3 Via 120 Live UK&ROI Model and I would have now been the wrong side of the 2GB Memory line
    I suppose it could be argued there could/should be exceptions, but then the whole world and his mate would be on the forum arguing their Memory/Map size combination should be an exception
    Only Tomtom have the data to show many of these old devices actually have the Maps updated regularly or not at all... and whether its cost effective to produce the quarterly Map updates for the devices with 2GB or less Memory ???

ATB YFM

Hi VikramK, I received my email on 19th March telling me my TT is EOL. I have a Go 910 V7 with 18 GB which seems plenty of capacity for the new maps. Therefore, would you let me know whether there is another reason why it has made EOL please.

Hi VikramK,

On 20th March I asked you the above question. As yet, I still do not have any explanation why my 18GB memory device is included in EOL. Please answer this question for me.
    edited April 28
    Hi
    @Bchops
    @VikramK

Edit... I'm Wondering if the 20GB on the system has been misread as 2GB ???

Have you previously owned another Tomtom device ??? Maybe the Email may refer to another device

Enter the first 2 characters of the Go 910 V7 Serial number into the appropriate link bellow... Only devices with 2GB or less on-board Memory should be affected ???

See... Find the model of your navigation device and what software it uses
    UK... https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9508/locale/en_GB
    USA... https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9508/locale/en_US
    Australia... https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9508/locale/en_AU

Tomtom have already stated that Lifetime Maps and any Existing Map Subscriptions will be honoured

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/news-and-announcements-37/end-of-life-device-with-lifetime-maps-1032484/index1.html#post1207861

Call Tomtom Support...
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/988105/customer-support-phone-numbers/p1

When calling....
    When prompted DO NOT provide your Tomtom model information, wait for a live agent to respond

ATB YFM

I got an answer back from Support:

I understand that you are getting $15 discount to buy a new map but then the Via 220 is not a supported device to buy a new map.

As your TomTom is end of life for support, new maps are no longer compatible with your TomTom.

To help you in this situation, I can offer you with 30% discount on new purchase of new TomTom GO 520/620 which comes with unlimited world map and all the unlimited services.

So, the bottom line is, the VIA 220 (2GB) is now an unsupported device.

So, since this device were not "minted" with lifetime maps when manufactured, it will be dropped from support. I would guess "minted" means 4GB internal memory. Or were 2GB devices "minted" with Lifetime maps as well - not sure.

PS:

I have a counter offering, I'm offering TomTom a 30% unlimited buyback option on my obsoleted Via 220!

The joke was on me buying it, might as well share in the fun ;)

• BchopsBchops Posts: 14 [Legendary Explorer]
    Hi @YamFazMan,

I've only ever owned one TT device, i.e. Go 910. I entered first two characters (V7) into the UK link and got this reply:

'Your device is a TomTom GO 910 with 20GB memory and it updates through TomTom HOME. Important:​ Your device is no longer supported through phone , and it's not possible to buy new maps and services for your device.'

When connected to TT Home the device shows Device Memory 19064.4MB; Free space 11188.2MB; Installed items 7876.2MB. Therefore, TT website says it's 20GB and the device near enough says the same. It does not make sense that the above quote says that for the GO 910 it's not possible to buy new maps and services for your device (presumably because it does not have enough memory for the new maps).

Hi @Bchops

Got this from a review site

TomTom GO 910 personal portable GPS system features 4 inch LCD touch screen – a world’s first in portable navigation, 20 GB hard disk with fully integrated MP3 player for playing audiobooks, music and podcasts as well as text-to-speech functionality, multi-continental map coverage including the whole of Europe, the USA and Canada, HOME dock – enabling users to connect to TomTom HOME through their computer, and full extensive iPod integration.

My guess would be that internally (if you would break open the TomTom) you would find 2 memory chips, 1 chip of 2GB - the chip were the working memory of the TT is kept, and another chip or chips, to make up the other 18GB.

It is somewhat the same as with me. I have a 2GB internal chip, and a micro SD slot where I can add lots of more memory, but it doesnt matter, my device is still obsolete.

PS. on your TT it is a bit weird, since memory usually is made in order of 2, like 1, 2, 4, 6, 16, 32, 64... to get to 20 is a weird number. On the other hand, perhaps memory chips are manufactured in a 20GB size? I am surprised then.

Cheers, Leonard.
    Hi
    @LeonardH

it's a 20GB Hardrive
    See specs... https://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/910Datasheet.pdf

ATB YFM

@YamFazMan,

Thanks for your comments. I'm still hoping that @VikramK will answer me with a definitive explanation of why mine is EOL.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,991 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @Bchops

The GO 910 device you was released in 2006 and there is a limit not just in terms of software but also in terms of hardware to adapt with the new maps we release on a quarterly basis.

From the official website: https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/obsolete-products/#car

Every day, at TomTom, we work very hard to bring you the best navigation experience ever. A big part of this work is to continuously improve the quality of the maps, services and software that your sat nav runs on.

It has become clear that some of our older generation navigation devices do not have sufficient resources to run the newest maps and software available.

Regards
    Vikram :)
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
  • BchopsBchops Posts: 14 [Legendary Explorer]
    Hi @VikramK,

Thanks for your reply.
  • Will_WWill_W Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Come on TT, your marketing of built-in obsolescence was intentional. Your R&D could have provided an SD memory option to keep these units operational. SHAME! I cannot believe that buying an upgrade TT model will not also experience obsolescence later on. I like the Tom Tom but must consider other options for this device.
  • miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,120 Superusers
  • cbair1cbair1 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I have been trying to get support for my Spark 3 watch since 5/8 and have received no response from customer service. I've tried the email and can't get on the chat.
    Anyone know what's up?
    cbair1
    edited May 15
    Hi
    @cbair1

The Sports Division went out of business 18 months ago and ceased all development and production. Support is being phased out and is now limited to live chat and email. Maybe time to throw the device out and move onto a brand that is active in the industry.

For more info see... TomTom Sports and Fitness products
    Maybe repost your question there ???
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/categories/your-sports-fitness

ATB YFM

Hi @macofjack

Your comment is incorrect

If the Tomtom unit you have was sold with lifetime map updates then that is being honoured as announced in the following Post on this Forum by @VikramK from Tomtom. in January last year.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1032484/end-of-life-device-with-lifetime-maps/p1

There has also been a clear definition of what lifetime means on Tomtom units on their website.

They are supporting many units far beyond the likes of Apples support their products.

Doug
    Hi
    @macofjack
    macofjack wrote: »
    So as usual TomTom's Lifetime Map Updates is not lifetime! Why expect anything else!
    Because your statement is 'Fake News'

Enter the first 2 characters of the devices Serial number into the appropriate link bellow... Only devices with 2GB or less on-board Memory should be affected ???

See... Find the model of your navigation device and what software it uses
    UK... https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9508/locale/en_GB
    USA... https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9508/locale/en_US
    Australia... https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9508/locale/en_AU

Call Tomtom Support...

When calling....
    When prompted DO NOT provide your Tomtom model information, wait for a live agent to respond

ATB YFM