End of life for TomTom devices - Page 3 — TomTom Community

End of life for TomTom devices

Comments

• KrystalTom25KrystalTom25 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    To say I'm not happy is an understatement. I bought a product with lifetime updates expecting to get a good few years for my extra cost. I haven't. Now you tell me, too late to even update one last time, that my Lifetime of updates is approximately the lifetime of your average rabbit. To add insult to injury you offer an oh so generous 30% discount on a very expensive model that I for one cannot afford and tell us again it will have lifetime updates. How long this time? The lifetime of a fruitfly? Did it occur to you to offer us either a partial refund for our now useless satnavs or to cut your 'too large' maps into smaller segments that we can still use? For example how about UK or England, Scotland or Wales etc and let us choose which was most relevant to us. Heavens, you may even have created a new market for older satnavs with people opting for one for each region! But no, you try to make the most money out of it that you can and bugger the implicit contract you created when you invented 'lifetime maps' Just next time spell out to people that it's not even the lifetime of their new device, it's until you pen a new obituary!
  • MRQ1MRQ1 Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Kott wrote:
    How do I go about filing a complaint?
    Find the nearest brick wall - stand about 18" away from it, and bang your head against it until you pass out....

TomTom don't give a **** - they've got you're money.
    The 700 that I DID get an email about has 2.5Gb of memory... The Go1000 that I discovered on the EOL list (no email) has 4Gb...

This is about as crude a way of shafting customers as could be imagined... the 'discounted price' - once you unbury it, is more than you can buy the replacement unit for from retailers!
  • ClarkeyClarkey Posts: 11 [Master Traveler]
    With the news of TomTom withdrawing support for many different models, I would like to express my disgust at such news. As a long-standing customer of no fewer than five devices my decision will be to take my custom elsewhere. Whilst I understand that some devices no longer have the storage capacity or processing power necessary for the latest technology it is not for TomTom to decide when these older are no longer viable, it should be the owners decision. TomTom are now joining the ranks of the likes of Microsoft, Apple, HP etc who think we should live in a throw away society and just want us to update to the latest model! What action are TomTom taking in ensuring that these old devices are suitably recycled. Time for TomTom to act responsibly and keep their customer base as today you have just lost a lot more!
  • mickroddmickrodd Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I got my TomTom email yesterday with a new exclusive offer/claim your discount. It says "Fill in your details below and receive a replacement offer today" but there is nowhere to fill in any details!? so how are you supposed to see any offers or claim any discount?
  • gecoffingecoffin Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Got the email also, called TomTom and found out everyone got the email.
    My 2011 540 XXL is still covered for updates. I had lifetime maps
    They gave me USA maps, instead of USA and Canada.

Worked fine

Gary
  • TheslowdutchmanTheslowdutchman Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I got the email today as well and I don't understand s**t what they are saying.
    Personally I have the Tomtom 6100 and they write me that my device is no longer supported. If I look in the list my device is not there. So what is it?

I have just send them a email (by the contact form on the website) for clarification. If it turns out they don't support my device anymore I will start legal actions. My device is less then 2 years old. Great that they found away around the marketingterm Lifetime but this won't hold in court (and yes I have experience with this). It's unbelievable that they are doing it this way. Even if my device is still supported I lost a lot of trust in this company today. Trust that they have been building for over 10 years with me.

So I will wait for there reply to see what my next step is. The time is over that big companies can pull this kind of marketing tricks on their customers. Shame on you Tomtom!
  • ClarkeyClarkey Posts: 11 [Master Traveler]
    My advice for those that have just bought one, would be to take it back to the retailer and get a refund! If you have a device already then carry on using it but don’t buy a replacement from TomTom! They will file for bankruptcy in a year or so!
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,170 Superusers
    @Theslowdutchman :

The email was sent in error to many with devices not on the list. The 6100 is NOT an End of Life device.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,563 Superuser
    @dhn

The other reason for so much confusion is that the email does NOT specify exactly (could have used the first two characters of the serial number) which device is affected :( So if the user did have an old device which has been binned/lost/stolen they still get this message and think it relates to their current device.
  • pauljlozpauljloz Posts: 10 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I suggest Australian customers assert their consumer rights and request a full refund for the device regardless of age given that Tomtom's claims of lifetime support are deceptive and you were mislead when it induced you to purchase a product with lifetime support. The exception clause regarding the lifetime definition would appear to be Unconscionable conduct

Oh - and don't give them another cent.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,170 Superusers
    Very true. Plus VikramK replied to one poster:

If you have a device with Lifetime maps then, it will be honored and you will continue to receive map updates.

Well, that should be emphasized on this site (and requested V to do so).
    dhn wrote:

If you have a device with Lifetime maps then, it will be honored and you will continue to receive map updates.

But elsewhere they basically say "lifetime" is limited to when they take it upon themselves to cease to support the device... Which can be ten years down the line or ten months! So; essentially this is an out-and-out con!
    MRQ1 wrote:
    dhn wrote:

But elsewhere they basically say "lifetime" is limited to when they take it upon themselves to cease to support the device... Which can be ten years down the line or ten months! So; essentially this is an out-and-out con!

Which I suggest is by definition, Unconscionable conduct

Which I suggest is by definition, is Unconscionable conduct

I suggest it's pure, unadulterated, dishonesty... The issue affects consumers all over the globe and therefore different jurisdictions. Some may have legal fallback, others won't

For my part the FOURTEEN Tom Tom satnavs we own between business and family vehicles will NOT be getting replaced with TomTom products - And if we're offered a vehicle with TomTom built in as its native navigation system, that will be the dealbreaker. they will need to do a MASSIVE about-turn before they'll get another brass penny of mine!
    MRQ1 wrote:
    Which I suggest is by definition, is Unconscionable conduct
    I suggest it's pure, unadulterated, dishonesty... The issue affects consumers all over the globe and therefore different jurisdictions. Some may have legal fallback, others won't
    Quote from Tomtom website
    "Building Trust into Autonomous Driving : The evolution of navigation – from satnavs to autonomous driving systems – is based on continuously building trust into innovation."

Imagine driving an autonomous vehicle using software from this mob????
    New meaning of lifetime - the length of time a comedian can support themselves off this spin .....
  • GeorgeBowyerGeorgeBowyer Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I have gone overnight from being a massive fan of TomTom to incredibly pissed off with them.

I can understand that they can't continue offering new upgrades for every product forever.

I can also live with the fact that "lifetime" doesn't mean "lifetime" - I was too cynical to believe it in the first place anyway.

But to remove access to the existing last available upgrades, that's just foul play. Plain and simple.

Really dirty trick - and absolutely unjustifiable.

No wonder no one from the company has the guts to come on here - their own forum, for pity's sakes - and try to explain themselves...

Cowards.
  • kingjohn6200kingjohn6200 Posts: 122 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    It wasn't that long ago my 1005 was no longer any good for the much larger map, at that time they did give me the option to download Europe in split up sections, and so I ended up with the UK and some parts of Europe.

Right now I have the 6200, it has 16gb of internal memory and can use up to 32gb external memory, and so with a Europe map around 7gb its going to be a while before they could pull this stunt with these models.

A good company would have continued to release smaller maps in sections for those with the current 2gb problem, but there is no way they will do this, they want the unit switched off and want you to buy the latest model.

The latest model (including my wifi 6200) isnt anywhere near as good as older models like the 1005, 720,730 with a mass of features not in the new models. Who cares if we can pinch the screen, or click it to pick a location, our own POI's (example) was a much better device than today's model, wifi update is nothing more than a gimmick !

Thats life ! (Tomtoms lifetime)
  • Canadian365Canadian365 Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    I never received any emails about maps no longer being offered for my GO630. Only found out about it when I updated my device online. I x’d the discount pop up menu in disbelief. Just after I replaced screen to get device working again. Wonder how older competitor Devices can manage just fine? Just a P**s off! And wonder why people rather just use Google maps for free on phones.

Why not just offer slightly lower quality maps, to keep existing customers? 30% discount laughable for Canadian user, after UK pricing currency exchange!!
  • DryCreekDryCreek Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    OK, since they've established that they will honor the subscriptions for Lifetime Maps, I'm no longer an angry customer.
  • finderjackfinderjack Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have a TT one XXL IQ and have never received an email.Updating today I saw a message that my TT is not supported now. However I bought an update deal in September 2017 for a year which went through OK.
    Do I now understand that this was a waste of money and I will get no more map updates or??
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,563 Superuser
    @finderjack

Can I re-assure you that you year long subscription will be honoured, BUT you will not be able to extended it when it expires in September :(
  • howdenbikerhowdenbiker Posts: 26 [Outstanding Explorer]
    VikramK wrote:
    Hello all,

From the 16th of January 2018, we will stop to sell maps and services for devices with an internal memory of 2GB or less.

It has become clear that some of our older-generation navigation devices do not have enough memory to accommodate the latest available maps and software updates.

In case you have an active subscription, you will be able to update the device till the subscription expires. Once the subscription has expired customers won't be able to renew the services.

Anyone who has an EOL device associated with their account should already have received about 2 emails with a discount on upgrading to a current device. We started adding 2GB devices to this offer in October.

What is EOL?

Like last time - users can no longer buy new updates and services. Some features of TomTom HOME are no longer available. When an EOL device is connected, you will find that some icons are greyed out by TomTom HOME. You should get a popup when the device is connected as a reminder that the product is EOL and so you don't not have all the options. It will also link to the obsolete page for an upgrade offer.

To know more about EOL and see the list of devices please visit the official website link below:
    UK and Europe: https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/obsolete-products/

US: https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/obsolete-products/

Asia and Pacific: https://www.tomtom.com/en_au/obsolete-products/

Regards
    Vikram
    I have to say I did not receive any emails until 15th February, that email was asking me to upgrade my maps so you can imagine my surprise when trying to order this to be told that my unit is now obsolete. Why? There is plenty of memory, I only use UK maps and am more than happy with the standard and quality, why change?
    Of course the more cynical among us see it as a way for TomTom to force users into shelling out over £180 for a new model, sorry, I'll not be doing that.

My previous high respect for TomTom has hit rock bottom.
  • Jez1122Jez1122 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    TomTom Via 220. Went to buy a new map and can't. Loads of space left.

Hello Garmin.
  • sjm002sjm002 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    If my EOL device with lifetime maps will continue to update how do I get all the functions back in TomTom Home? And why in the h-ll would the "Operate my Device" function be disabled?