End of life for TomTom devices - Page 2 — TomTom Community

End of life for TomTom devices

Comments

• NiallNiall Posts: 10,564 Superuser
    Help others identify useful content :-
    If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍
    If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • andersp5andersp5 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    My XXL Classic sat nav which still works perfectly and is a great device has just been declared EOL but AFTER I renewed my map subscription on the 4th December 2017, so I have been left with little choice but to receive my 4 updates for 2018, which I assume will be honoured and then consider buying a new Sat Nav.

Taking my subscription a month before you declare an EOL for a product is tantamount to dishonesty at worst or bad business practice at best.

TomTom have successfully driven away a loyal customer after many years, well done!
    crperk44 wrote:
    lol, just bought the 1 year update! Smile you have been screwed!
    I renewed my map subscription on the 4th December 2017, so I have been left with little choice but to receive my 4 updates for 2018, which I assume will be honoured and then consider buying a new Sat Nav.

Taking my subscription a month before you declare an EOL for a product is tantamount to dishonesty at worst or bad business practice at best.

TomTom have successfully driven away a loyal customer after many years, well done!
  • gongyanggongyang Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
    racefan15 wrote:
    Niall wrote:
    @Kott

Contact Customer Services

CS United States
    877-757-7137
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST
    I will for sure. I bought a $250 XXL 540 with guarantee of lifetime maps and traffic. Now I'm being told that "lifetime only means the life of the program being offered by TomTom" ???? Bullshit. I have amply storage for additional maps and can update to a bigger SD card as needed. IF they are "phasing out" all of these old lifetime devices, then they need to replace them with the new model. Not some BS 30% discount.
    Just finished my call to the number above. They will email us again that XXL 540 will have FREE lifetime maps updates. The last update was released in November 2017 and the next is expected in Feb or Mar. I hope they are telling me the truth that I can trust.
  • AM134768AM134768 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am completely confused. The email states "We will continue to provide quick GPS fix updates so your device will continue to function as it does now, but your map will become out-of-date and as such navigation will be less accurate." which implies that there will be no more MAP UPDATES even if I have a subscription?

Is the email wrong or am I correct in understanding that there will be no more MAP UPDATES even though I purchased a 12+6 month subscription in October?
    I hope they are providing updates over 2018 otherwise I for one will want map my update subscription refunded. Can someone from TomTom please clarify?

What I find really annoying is that you can not contact TomTom direct via email, you have to phone a number which is not only expensive, time consuming but not very good in the 21st century. TomTom need to take note of customers concerns or there will be no TomTom in the future, they need a direct email for customers to raise concerns such as this, this forum is not the right process, it can't answer my refund question for example. Very poor customer service I have now found.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,206 Superusers
    Subscriptions will be honoured.
  • gongyanggongyang Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
    gongyang wrote:
    racefan15 wrote:
    Niall wrote:
    @Kott

Contact Customer Services

CS United States
    877-757-7137
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST
    I will for sure. I bought a $250 XXL 540 with guarantee of lifetime maps and traffic. Now I'm being told that "lifetime only means the life of the program being offered by TomTom" ???? Bullshit. I have amply storage for additional maps and can update to a bigger SD card as needed. IF they are "phasing out" all of these old lifetime devices, then they need to replace them with the new model. Not some BS 30% discount.
    Just finished my call to the number above. They will email us again that XXL 540 will have FREE lifetime maps updates. The last update was released in November 2017 and the next is expected in Feb or Mar. I hope they are telling me the truth that I can trust.
    A follow-up email received:

gongyang, as discussed on call, I would like to inform you that the Lifetime Map of USA, Canada and Mexico is still active on your device ( I have XXL 540 TM) and you will also be able to update the Lifetime maps of your device in future.
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 4,840 Community Manager
    AM134768 wrote:
    I am completely confused. The email states "We will continue to provide quick GPS fix updates so your device will continue to function as it does now, but your map will become out-of-date and as such navigation will be less accurate." which implies that there will be no more MAP UPDATES even if I have a subscription?

Is the email wrong or am I correct in understanding that there will be no more MAP UPDATES even though I purchased a 12+6 month subscription in October?
    Sorry for the confusion. If you have a running subscription you should not have received this email. It was sent to you by mistake. You will receive updates to your map over the period of your subscription.
  • vmaxervmaxer Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Niall wrote:
    @Austinpeck

If the serial number of your START 50 does NOT start with "GU" then it has NOT been declared 'End of life'
    Well my 3 year old Start 50 (with Lifetime Map updates) and does start with GU is, in the eyes of TomTom, now obsolete.... What an absolute con!!!

However if you look on the EU or US list of obsolete devices the Start 50 isn't listed .... here is the list START 20/25/45/55/60

So are our Start 50s obsolete or not????
    @vmaxer

So you bought your START 50 in the US? The US obsolete list is in fact inaccurate and is being amended by TomTom's FAQ team, as it contains a mixture of European device names and is completely missing some US device names :(
    If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
    Hi Yes although I live in the UK I bought the Start 50 in the US as we holiday there every year and I considered it an investment as it would work out cheaper than hiring one with the car rental....or perhaps not
  • Disgruntled UserDisgruntled User Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    At the end of the day whether the device is obsolete or not, why not email prior to the suspension warning people so they at least have notice to update their devices one last time before the deadline? That's just common courtesy and is the basis of better customer relationships in my book. You upset the consumer in this way, you may not have such a strong profit margin moving forward as word soon gets around when you lose Customers and why!
  • tonypatfishertonypatfisher Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I was so unhappy at this contract violation that I Trashed the working XXL and bought another brand. You just lost a customer and I will never buy any of your products.
  • jatcojatco Posts: 77 [Apprentice Traveler]
    AM134768 wrote:

Sorry for the confusion. If you have a running subscription you should not have received this email. It was sent to you by mistake. You will receive updates to your map over the period of your subscription.
    Thanks for the clarification Jurgen..
    As with previous issues with my GO730, now with a recent subscription ( late Oct 2017), I don't have to freak out and buy a new gps right away.. tho I did get their offer for their GO620..! -
    Any idea on how long the 'offer' will last..?
    GO730 - V9.43
    Well I phoned customer support in EU today regarding our issue and was told that the device could no longer hold the map of the US as the device only has 2GB memory (as we know) They informed me that the US map was now over 7GB!!! They couldn't explain why the map had over trebled on size ..... you must have a massive road building expansion going on:wink:
    The adviser also couldn't explain why it is no longer possible to select a region of the US like I did in november for my trip to Florida ........... I guess they expect me to spend about 200 GBP on a new device .............. dream on!!

I have asked for an explanation in writing, lets see what they say
  • Scoops39Scoops39 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    On 25th January I renewed TomTom Live Services for my trusty GO LIVE 820.
    This morning, 29th January, I received an e-mail from TomTom - no previous e-mails received - announcing the discontinuation of such sales and software support. If the machine dies, it dies.

There is reference to an "exclusive discount" for an alternative TomTom device. No prices are shown.

Ring the telephone number given and a recorded message tells you that number is no longer in use! (It does give you an alternative: 11 minute queue).

TomTom, I should like a refund for my recent purchase of Live services. I should also like much more clarity and transparency from you in your business methods. Thank you.
    @Scoops39

As this is a user forum you will need to contact Customer Services to claim a refund

CS United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
    Thank you, Niall. When you ring this number several options are offered, including devices purchased within the past 5 years, or before then. Obviously, in this case the second option is applicable but the voice simply refers you to the support section of the TomTom website. The only other option is to enquire about Loyalty ...
    Any further suggestion(s) would be appreciated. Thank you.
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 4,840 Community Manager
    Scoops39 wrote:
    Ring the telephone number given and a recorded message tells you that number is no longer in use! (It does give you an alternative: 11 minute queue).
    As far as I know there is no phone number in the email. Where did you see that number that didn't work?
    @Scoops39

When you call back, do NOT mention which device it concerns, then you will be put through to a rep, ;)

"Silence wins through"
  • timmystimmys Posts: 8 [Legendary Explorer]
    Scoops39 wrote:

There is reference to an "exclusive discount" for an alternative TomTom device. No prices are shown.

I love how the discount is not only not detailed, but is also only for the highest cost equivalent possible.

For instant for a GO 750 with a 4.3" screen the offer is only for a 620 with a 6" screen rather than the 520 with a 5" screen.
    Jurgen: the website appears to be changing. There most definitely was a number, because I rang it: 02079 490 129. I was then redirected to 02079 490 132. Niall then suggested 02079 490 134, which uses exactly the same automated message as the ... 132 number! (Another change: earlier, the recommended replacement model was a 620; now it is the 6200).
    Niall: the message suggests that you have to respond, either "1" for newer devices or "2" for 5+yrs. But I think you are right: say nothing, twice, and eventually you are given a wait time before speaking to a rep.
    Eventually, got through to helpful Ramesh. But as he was checking my order details the line went dead .... I am giving this one more go, but beginning to despair.
    Up-date! On my second attempt (the line having gone dead whilst Ramesh was checking my account), I managed to get through to Alamdar after waiting 14 minutes, rather than the predicted 8. NB On this occasion I had opted for "subscriptions" when listening to the Customer Services automated message on 02079 490 134. That seemed to work.

After some discussion, I am to receive a full refund for the Live services purchased just 4 days ago. After further discussion it was agreed that the Live Service on my current device would cease in 3 days (to coincide with the refund reaching my account) rather than immediately, as was first suggested. (Little victories).

I have spent a long time on hold today, especially to CS. The music strikes me as curious for a SatNav company, as it would be a perfect sound-track to a horse and wagon trundling along the prairie. I suppose the driver could always rely on the horse finding its way home!
  • justmebrowsingjustmebrowsing Posts: 389 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Even the BBC have got wind of this now. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/42859546