Heartbeat (BPM) on Spark 3

Matje
Matje Registered Users Posts: 2
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
My heartbeat during an activity on the road bike is very low.
The average heart rate is around 85 while it must be much higher. If I take a rest break, raise the arm and keep it horizontal, the heart rate rises to the actual value.
How is this possible?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,935
    Superuser
    Low HR is often seen in rowing, cycling and weight lifting. Any time you do an activity that squeezes or tenses the forearms (like the pull stroke in rowing, bearing down on your handlebars in cycling, or virtually any weight lifting move) you are squeezing the blood vessels the watch is reading, so it sees this as a reduced pulse. It is not that the watch is having a problem reading your pulse; it is that your pulse at the wrist has actually dropped because you are temporarily cutting off blood flow to the vessels it is reading. When you raise your arms you are releasing the tension in your forearms and opening up the blood vessels again. I have experienced this with every optical HR I have used, including a Mio and a Scosche unit. For these sorts of activities you are better off using a chest strap synced to the watch if getting a more exact reading is important to you.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Matje
    Matje Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    But it seems person dependent? A friend with whom I bike has the same watch but does not have this problem.
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,935
    Superuser
    Matje wrote:
    But it seems person dependent? A friend with whom I bike has the same watch but does not have this problem.
    Yes, as everyone's form is different and physiology is different. You may have deeper blood vessels or a weaker pulse signal in general or he may not be bearing down as hard. on his arms. You may each be wearing the watch a bit differently as well. Try switching it to the inside of the wrist which may help as there is a clearer view of the blood vessels.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.