Some questions on Rider 450 vs Go 5200 — TomTom Community

Some questions on Rider 450 vs Go 5200

uktomtommeruktomtommer Posts: 69 [Master Explorer]
edited January 2019 in RIDER
I have some questions on the motorcycle rider 450 vs the car-only Go 5200:
  • Does the rider 450 have built-in speakers? Can I use it in a car?
  • Do both the rider and the Go 5200 support mydrive cloud, or only the Go? I.e. the option to set routes etc from the web and have them sync to all your tomtom devices
  • The Go updates via wifi; how about the rider?
  • The Go has a built-in sim. Does the rider? Or does the rider need to be connected via bluetooth to a phone which has a data connection, in order to retrieve traffic and other info?
Thanks!

Comments

• exportmanukexportmanuk Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    • Does the rider 450 have built-in speakers? Can I use it in a car?
    Yes but you will need to buy the car dock
    • Do both the rider and the Go 5200 support mydrive cloud, or only the Go? I.e. the option to set routes etc from the web and have them sync to all your tomtom devices
    Yes privided both are linked to the same log in
    • The Go updates via wifi; how about the rider?
    Updates are via Mydrive. You have to connect to a computer/mac for updates
    • The Go has a built-in sim. Does the rider? Or does the rider need to be connected via bluetooth to a phone which has a data connection, in order to retrieve traffic and other info?
    Rider needs to be connected by bluetooth to your phone for traffic updates on the move.
    Also worth checking out the comments over issues with certain BT headsets
  • uktomtommeruktomtommer Posts: 69 [Master Explorer]
    Thanks. So is the integrated speaker in the car dock or in the rider unit?

If I use the rider in my car, can I take a call using the microphone and the speaker of the Rider? Or does the Rider need to be connected to a headset and to divert the call to the headset? I don't want to keep a headset in my ear all the time while driving.

Question on both the rider and the go 5200: is there a way to automatically accept an incoming call without taking my hands off the wheel or handlebars?

I have looked at the manuals for both but couldn't find answers to these questions.
  • EXPORTMANEXPORTMAN Posts: 634
    Superusers
    Hi

The riders 450 has the speaker built in so not in the car dock like the v5 and prior
    You would need a BT headset to answer calls on the 450. Not tried mine in the car (I have a GO 620 for the car) so not sure how good it is but it seems reasonably loud.

As far as I am aware at the moment it is not possible on either device to answer calls via voice command, so technically in the UK you would be in breach of the law if you answered a call ( pressing the button is interacting with the system therefor not technically in control of the vehicle if one of the BiBs wanted to be difficult)
    Thanks!

When you say a I need a BT headset to answer calls, do you mean I need it on a motorbike (clearly), but not in a car, right?
    Superusers
    Hi

If you are using the rider in the car to take calls then you will need it there too. There is no mike facility on the rider so you would need a BT option that works with the rider.
    Ah, I see. Instead, does the Go 5200 have an integrated microphone? Ie can you use the Go 5200 to take and make calls in a car without needing additional devices / contraptions, etc?
    Superusers
    Hi

Sorry don't know not got one looking on the tomtom main site it says the following fetures for the Go 5200
    • Active magnetic mount
    • Updates via Wi-Fi
    • Smartphone messages
    • Compatible with Siri and Google Now™
    • Hands-free calling
    • MyDrive Cloud App
    • Lifetime Maps (World)*
    • Lifetime Speed Cameras*
    So I expect so, My Go 620 does

Maybe ask in the GO 5200 forum ?