Fitness age is killing me — TomTom Community

Fitness age is killing me

pintasmpintasm Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
I know the title is a little weird, but bear with me.
I bought a Spark Premium in December I set it up and it told me my fitness age was 42 based on some previous exercises it maybe synced to Google Fit. I'm actually 41, but i admit i'm not the most fit guy around, but i'm ok, i can run for an hour and make 40 min hiit sessions a few times a week, so i'm not that bad...

Well, the app displayed a message saying to exercise more to improve my fitness age. "Let's do it!" - I thought.

Then i made a 20 minute run, it increased my fitness age to 43. Another 40 minute the next day, it increased to 44 years old, today i made an hour run 7.6km and it's telling me my fitness age is 45.

I'm thinking i'll be dead a a couple of months if i keep exercising!! :joy:

But seriously.... i'm am understanding fitness age wrong?
The setup a custom run today for fat burning. Basically 2 min easy jog followed by a minute of speed burst. I noticed my heart rate took some time to go back down after the speed bursts, and sometimes i felt like going a little stronger for some more time, but still.... it just feels something is very wrong.

Can anyone explain whats going on, please?

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,326
    Superusers
    What is going on is the Fitness Age is a bit of a joke. I honestly don't feel you can make any judgments from what it is telling you in terms of fitness points or fitness age. It only uses runs or cycles to calculate points and only if you are in a certain HR zone and while it does refine its readings over time but it seems to be a random, capricious measure that ties to very little. It is based on whatever algorithm TT came up with, which is different than what Garmin uses or Strava uses, or anyone else. Ultimately I don't expect a watch to be able to tell me how fit I am.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • pintasmpintasm Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    It did. Thank you.
  • magnumqtmagnumqt Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I'm having the opposite problem. I'm 56, in pretty decent shape, it started me at 36! But over the next few weeks dropped me steadily to where I stand now at 20!! I was afraid of going negative there for a bit, but it seems that it will not push us back to the teen years (which I enjoyed in the 70s). I'm sure there is some algorithm that you are I are hitting in the opposite fashion (perhaps VO2 max, mine is 52)...mystery. I'm just waiting for my youthful hair to grow back, I'll keep you posted.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,326
    Superusers
    magnumqt wrote:
    I'm having the opposite problem. I'm 56, in pretty decent shape, it started me at 36! But over the next few weeks dropped me steadily to where I stand now at 20!! I was afraid of going negative there for a bit, but it seems that it will not push us back to the teen years (which I enjoyed in the 70s). I'm sure there is some algorithm that you are I are hitting in the opposite fashion (perhaps VO2 max, mine is 52)...mystery. I'm just waiting for my youthful hair to grow back, I'll keep you posted.
    There is a direct correlation between VO2Max and Fitness Age. Anything above 50 or so gets you to an age of around 20. It will not go lower than that but it would take a marked decrease in fitness (dropping your VO2Max several points) to get the age to rise.
    Thanks for the tip! Makes sense. I WISH I had a fitness age of 20, but I'm not clicking of 5 minute miles any more (used to run 6:30 for an aerobic workout, ha!). I can still do a 1:30 half but 20??

Cheers,

Steve
  • pintasmpintasm Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    magnumqt wrote:

That is funny.

My fitness age just went to 47 and 48 the very next day.
    I'm running more and better, but i think it just doesn't like me.
    It's a shame that i bought a product considering things like battery and features like VO2Max and Fitness age and everything's different from what TomTom advertises... (my battery lasts three days with 1h30m exercise without GPS or all day HR for example.)

Its easier to tell users "Oh, we'll be leaving this market, sorry." than to have the spine to do whats right and replace their faulty products/software.

It's the 'little things' that turn a company into a very good or very bad one.

Bad TomTom! :neutral_face:
    I think it is designed for the average segment of the population from a VO2 max/Fitness age standpoint. Beside my Age 20 box is a handy disclaimer something to the effect of "For athletes like you, VO2 Max is a better indicator" meaning if your VO2 max is >50, you'll stick at age 20. I've drifted up to 53 now so I'm still 20. And haven't seen any new hair growth yet!

The TomTom has its quirks, though having it for just a couple weeks, I'm still on the fence. My biggest beef is the syncing, I've had to re-pair the watch 2-3 times as it doesn't see my iphone. I still enjoy what it can do fairly well: heart rate and GPS. In a hyper competitive market, I suppose you have to claim the sun and moon to get folks to buy. I like the saved trails feature but there are exactly TWO available for the entire US (Central park being one of them -- cool, but its 3000 miles from me). Seems that this is a GB/Europe product because that's where all the cool trails are.

Oh well, I'm a glass half full guy so its still a nice device on the balance...

Happy Trails.
  • pugwash94pugwash94 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Probably a bit late to add this but my stats tell me I have a fitness age of 34 and a VO2 Max of 44 - down from 46 a few days ago. My last run was on a route that has a number of short steep hills where as the one before was 10K on a track and included high intensity sections. I am also suffering from an Achilles problem, both these factors probably account for the changes.
    I am actually 63 and taking part in a study and have had my VO2 Max measured in a lab - it came out as 47 about 3 weeks ago.
    All in all I think that the watch's ability to calculate VO2 Max is pretty impressive.
    As for fitness age - Its great to be younger than my children. The most worrying thing is that my fitness age really says more about the fitness of the population than about me. As my son commented - most of his friends couldn't run 10k - even gently.
  • martinberwickmartinberwick Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The fitness age seems to be a hot topic of conversation and my take on this is that TT have designed an algorithm that is designed mainly for runners who work hard and not casual runners such as myself and I assume many others. So this calculation can be very controversial and in most cases as I read not that accurate. If I start to do some interval training I think I could improve but I dont want to do interval training since I am on a mission to lose a few Kg and burn some fat :grin: I now choose to ignore this measurement Its just a shame that TT are now out of business so no more development could be done to solve this obvious annoying metric - HAPPY RUNNING FOLKS :grinning:
  • SecrycomSecrycom Posts: 33 [Apprentice Traveler]
    My fitness age varies in my chart on the app in a strange way. I think that is not good!