No GPS signal on TomTom GO Mobile iOS app — TomTom Community

No GPS signal on TomTom GO Mobile iOS app

donspecudonspecu Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi, my tomtom ios app keeps losing and regaining gps signal. Reinstalled system, reinstalled app, still struggling to get gps signal. Satellite icon is grey and flushing.
It works so 5secs then looses the signal for 20 secs. Then gets is for 2 secs then loat again. All other aps no problem. Checked ios settings and tomrom app location services are on!! Any advice?

Comments

• HjeresenHjeresen Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    donspecu wrote:
    Hi, my tomtom ios app keeps losing and regaining gps signal. Reinstalled system, reinstalled app, still struggling to get gps signal. Satellite icon is grey and flushing.
    It works so 5secs then looses the signal for 20 secs. Then gets is for 2 secs then loat again. All other aps no problem. Checked ios settings and tomrom app location services are on!! Any advice?
    I have same problem! Any suggestions?
  • donspecudonspecu Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Looks like tomtom account not picking up purchased subscription. Signing in and out solved the problem for me.
  • HjeresenHjeresen Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks. I will try it!
  • JasperkJasperk Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I also have problems with the gps location.
    The app has permission to use gps. I also see that app use the gps (in blue bar: go uses location)

Other apps work correctly with the gps.

What I have tried so far:
    Reinstalled the app
    Reset privacy settings and network settings.
    sign in / sign out tomtom account
    Complete reset of iphone. Restored backup after that.

iPhone 6S
    IOS 11.3
    Tomtom go mobile 1.10
  • Jack D.Jack D. Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    on Iphone 6S through various IOS updates found it took ages for the new TomTom Go app to get a GPS satelliite lock.

(only after already driving for 15 minutes or so the app would suddenly get a lock and arrow turn from grey to blue)
    at the same time other apps (iMaps, Maze,Maps and my old tomtom app, etc.. had no problem whatsover to get a gps position.

once it finally did get a lock it would work just fine.
    tried and did not help:
    -close all apps and start fresh.
    -reset iPhone (hold home+pwr key)
    - switch maps
    -remove and reinstall maps
    -remove and reinstall tomtom go itself

Today finally fixed:
    1) connect iphone to itunes and make a complete backup (incl encryption to save passwords!)
    2) Restore iphone: Note this FULLY WIPES and factory rests the phone and installs latest fresh IOS.
    3) Restore iPhone from backup.

after this had to reload maps etc but it fixed my GPS sat lock issue!!

procedure takes about an hour and a half and you need to ensure you got your email, whatsapp, photos etc backed up, but after Months of dinking around well worth the few hours to fix whatever hidden Ios issue causing this.
    hope this helps you. cheers, Jack D
    Jasperk, saw your screenshot. my 6S was similar: grey arrow and top left showing searching for sat lock. note that restoring a backup for me did not work. it needed a factory reset - which is what the “Restore iphone” in iTunes does - see picture0dbecf67-575e-402c-87c8-abf5e708daa4.jpg
  • JME74JME74 Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    Same problem here: iPhone 6s, iOS 11.3 (but has been like this in previous versions as well), Tomtom Go 1.10, all permissions granted, account is unlimited until 16 March 2019, but still no GPS. Sometimes it gets a fix for a few seconds, then it drops again. I tried all of the options mentioned in this thread. A complete factory reset a couple of months ago did the trick, but since a few days it stopped working again. Other GPS apps do not show this problem, so it must be Tomtom. What else can I do, except using another app and wait for Tomtom to fix this while my subscription is ticking away... :-(
    JME74,

yep, hear ya.

much agreed: while the itunes full re-init/restore did the trick for me and it sounds like it did for you (you mention factory reset few Months ago) there is ZERO guarantee for how long it will stay working..

it only shows the problem is not related to any user-setting but by no means identifies a root cause or how to to prevent it from happening again.
    tomtom ( and Apple?) developers really need to review this for root cause and quick, or at least provide us with a “GPS search reset” option or such to reinitialize the gps related setting without full factory reset of the whole phone.

next ios update or whatever (..) can cause it to happen again and I’d have to fully reset and restore again to get it going.
    (btw, I never! do OTA ios updates -always via itunes so its not an Over-The-Air ios update issue )

my original totom western-europe app still works if we loose gps-sat locks again in “Go”, but those maps are getting old quickly now.. :-(
    Thanks for the replies.

Yesterday I send an email to tomtom support about the issue.
    Hopefully they will look into it seriously and fix the issue.

Jasper
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,569 Superuser
    @Jasperk

A phone call will get a far quicker reply.

:flag_nl: Nederland (Holland)
    020 850 1007
    Maandag t/m vrijdag van 9.00 tot 17:30
    Help others identify useful content :-
    If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍
    If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
    I just noticed that Google Maps is showing similar problems, but it continues to function because apparently it better deals with varying gps signals. So it might be a phone issue after all! Just an issue that some apps can deal with and others not ;-)
    It’s working again!! Don’t know for how long, but I got it to work without a factory reset!! I tried a combination of methods and for me it worked, so I thought I’d share it. I have no idea which of the following steps (or combination of them) did the trick, so feel free to experiment. Here’s what I did on an iPhone 6s:
    1. go to Settings and enter flight mode
    2. wait 15 seconds (no clue if this is necessary, but that’s what I did)
    3. turn off WiFi (also in Settings, so a real off)
    4. turn off Bluetooth (same)
    5. turn off cellular data (same)
    6. close Settings
    7. do a reset (press and hold home button and side button till restart)
    8. go to Settings and turn flight mode off and everything else back on
    9. presto!!!
    Hmm, flight mode also turns off all those other settings, so I must have turned on flight mode last, not first. Then restart.
    Yesterday, after about the 2 months since last complete restore, the GPS location was not accurate in all apps. Also in the TomTom Go app no GPS location could be determined.
    However the I followed the steps from JME74, and that worked! I have a have an iPhone 6S, not if this works on all iPhones.