Showing POI's on a GO 5200

Paulussie
Paulussie Registered Users Posts: 1
New Traveler
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I am a brand new owner of a Go 5200, which is a replacement for a 1005 which was a replacement for a broken 1005, which was a replacement for the ostrich-egg-like Go, which replaced an Ipaq with TomTom software and a separate GPS. You get it, I had them all :-)

All in all I like the 5200 a lot. Very fast. Easy interface. Updating via WiFi instead of the painstaking PC connection. Same quality maps. Same brilliant traffic guidance. Lifetime everything.

The one thing I am wrestling with on this device is POI's. I use a POI file for LPG fuel stations whenever I travel in Europe. I loaded this file on my new 5200 quite easy using MyDrive. I was stupefied that I was no longer able to load the accompanying .bmp file, but I'll live; one of the pre-existing icons will do.

However, the way in which these POI's are shown is beyond me. I understand that I can show POI's as a list (very useless) or on the map. Whole map (which incidentally shows them only around my location and refuses to be moved further along the route), Near me (that does essentially the same), In town or city, Along route and Near destination. But the way I used to use this, just drive and glance at the screen approaching the next fuel stop to see if it has LPG does not work. Or I have missed a setting.

The only alternative I see is that whenever I run out of LPG I go fiddle with the poi file. This means opening up the menu, selecting My Places, scrolling down until I find the file, selecting the file, minimizing the keyboard, selecting show map instead of show list, selecting Along Route instead of Whole Map, then zoom and pan to pick a suitable station in relation to the direction I am driving, select that and add it to my current route. All this while negotiating a German Autobahn. I don't know, but somehow I do not see myself doing this :-)

So my question: is it possible to show POI's (from a file) on the drive screen. How do I do that?

Comments

• RaCo2
    RaCo2 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Apprentice Traveler
    Paulussie wrote:
    I am a brand new owner of a Go 5200, which is a replacement for a 1005 which was a replacement for a broken 1005, which was a replacement for the ostrich-egg-like Go, which replaced an Ipaq with TomTom software and a separate GPS. You get it, I had them all :-)

All in all I like the 5200 a lot. Very fast. Easy interface. Updating via WiFi instead of the painstaking PC connection. Same quality maps. Same brilliant traffic guidance. Lifetime everything.

The one thing I am wrestling with on this device is POI's. I use a POI file for LPG fuel stations whenever I travel in Europe. I loaded this file on my new 5200 quite easy using MyDrive. I was stupefied that I was no longer able to load the accompanying .bmp file, but I'll live; one of the pre-existing icons will do.

However, the way in which these POI's are shown is beyond me. I understand that I can show POI's as a list (very useless) or on the map. Whole map (which incidentally shows them only around my location and refuses to be moved further along the route), Near me (that does essentially the same), In town or city, Along route and Near destination. But the way I used to use this, just drive and glance at the screen approaching the next fuel stop to see if it has LPG does not work. Or I have missed a setting.

The only alternative I see is that whenever I run out of LPG I go fiddle with the poi file. This means opening up the menu, selecting My Places, scrolling down until I find the file, selecting the file, minimizing the keyboard, selecting show map instead of show list, selecting Along Route instead of Whole Map, then zoom and pan to pick a suitable station in relation to the direction I am driving, select that and add it to my current route. All this while negotiating a German Autobahn. I don't know, but somehow I do not see myself doing this :-)

So my question: is it possible to show POI's (from a file) on the drive screen. How do I do that?
  • RaCo2
    RaCo2 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Apprentice Traveler
    I'm interested in this too. and empathise very much with 'Paulussie' . When going on holiday I use small caravan sites that are not listed in the main POI's but in a separate OV2 file that I have. I want to be able to see these on the screen (GO 520 or Mydrive) when I am planning my week ahead, so I can see precisely how many small caravan sites are clustered around the various towns I want to visit or a places I want to walk, and then I can make my choices as part of the planning process. This is the whole point of a-priori PLANNING. I used to be able to do this on my old G0 530, but not on the new GO 520 that we have all been encouraged/forced to 'upgrade' to. The 520 seems to have a lost some of the very useful and valuable functionality of the old 530, and it's just cost me a few months of my savings. I'm not impressed.

Another point I used to like on the 530 was that when driving along on a day out, just touring around, it would give me warning that I was near to a location that was on one of my custom POI's lists, such as a National Trust site or an RSPB reserve, and if I fancied a look I could drop-in 'on spec'. This would be an ad-hoc visit, not part pf an a-priori plan. It seems incredible that this does not happen on the new generation GO models. Why ever not? TomTom seem to have lost the plot and become too focused on getting people to a specific location (usually work) as quickly as possible. Whatever happened to the old 'shortest route' option? This was great fun to use on a touring holiday when you didn't have to get to a destination 'as quickly as possible' but could take time to enjoy the countryside?

So, three questions:-
    1) Why a can't we see standard or custom POI's displayed on either the new GO models or on MyDrive as we browse the map?

2) Why can't we see custom POI's displayed as we are driving along?

3) Why can't we import Icons that identify the various types of custom POI's (e.g. the logo of my favourite supermarket chain)?
  • brucey
    brucey Registered Users Posts: 193
    Supreme Trailblazer
    Hi TomTom,

Any update on this please, as stated previously I too would like an image (bmp) that means something to me be it fuel or food rather than a generic coloured shape?
  • tidg69
    tidg69 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    I have just received my 5200; having read this stream I am also concerned about the reversing of facilities with personal poi's
  • brucey
    Supreme Trailblazer
    Hello TomTom,

Any update please on any progress with this long standing wish to be able to display a user defined image on the map whilst in driving view please?
  • brucey
    Supreme Trailblazer
    Hello TomTom,

Any comment or update on this request for your official forum?

thank you in advance
  • Doug Of The Midlands
    Doug Of The Midlands Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hello Tom Tom,

This is also something I would like to see on my G) 5200.

Is this likely to happen ?.