Adventurer not recognized by mac

Koan
Koan Registered Users Posts: 5
Master Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I keep on having connectivity issues with my sport watch. Most of the time the problem is data transfer to mobile but today I could not connect to my mac and this actually never happened before.
When I connect the watch to the computer, the screen goes blank for a moment, sometimes tomtom logo appears, and then it goes back to normal. Tomtom connect doesn't even launch.

Any idea how could I fix this? can I restart the watch without the connection? Should I let the battery die?

Thank you

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,938
    Superuser
    I would try to perform a reset on your watch using the recovery mode, follow these steps:

1. Place your watch in the dock before you connect the dock to the computer.
    2. On your watch, move DOWN but keep the button pressed.*
    3. Connect the dock to the computer. Keep pressing the button until your watch shows tomtom.com/reset.
    4. Release the button and wait for MySports Connect to show Update.
    5. Click Update in MySports Connect.
    * If the USB port on your computer is not easily accessible, connect the dock to the computer without the watch. Then move down from the clock screen while you slide the watch into the dock.

If that does not work you should call Customer Support. They are able to more deeply investigate and diagnose problems than we can here on the user forum. To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact, enter the product name and click Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Koan
    Master Traveler
    Hi there

Thanks for your help, unfortunately it didn't work. The watch just show the low battery screen with no reaction to the procedure you recommended. I will contact customer support.

Giampaolo
  • srasse12
    srasse12 Registered Users Posts: 33
    Prominent Wayfarer
    @Koan could you please respond on here if you find a fix as I have the same issue with my spark? Thanks!
  • Koan
    Master Traveler
    @srasse12 I spoke with technical support over the phone and they asked to return the product. Quite disappointing as I will have to buy another watch if I want to keep on training. I'm confident Tomtom can design a service procedure that offers a better experience to customers, focusing on product sales is an old paradigm that does not guarantee long term success.
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    Koan wrote:
    @srasse12 I spoke with technical support over the phone and they asked to return the product. Quite disappointing as I will have to buy another watch if I want to keep on training. I'm confident Tomtom can design a service procedure that offers a better experience to customers, focusing on product sales is an old paradigm that does not guarantee long term success.
    TT has left the wearables market altogether and is no longer producing new devices, so they are not likely to change anything.
  • Koan
    Master Traveler
    @tfarabaugh thanks for the news, I didn't know about that. From my perspective it means that they will hardly sell the left inventory, hence one reason more to provide a timely replacement and keep the customer happy with the brand. The way they managed the issue creates a total disconnect from my side.
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    Koan wrote:
    @tfarabaugh thanks for the news, I didn't know about that. From my perspective it means that they will hardly sell the left inventory, hence one reason more to provide a timely replacement and keep the customer happy with the brand. The way they managed the issue creates a total disconnect from my side.
    They are very good about replacing them in a timely manner. However, they have no need for brand loyalty or customer happiness as they no longer need us as customers. While they still sell SatNav products, there is not a lot of crossover between that and the sports side I believe, so we are lost to them.
  • Koan
    Master Traveler
    This is true an yet would you recommended TT products or speak nicely about the brand? Best companies turn people into advocates when others focus on short terms financial results. TT is not in a kill-or-die situation so such a myopia is not justified. For sure TT can forget about me.
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    Koan wrote:
    This is true an yet would you recommended TT products or speak nicely about the brand? Best companies turn people into advocates when others focus on short terms financial results. TT is not in a kill-or-die situation so such a myopia is not justified. For sure TT can forget about me.
    I have actually been a TT brand ambassador for many years and continue to be one (as evidenced by my continued activity on this forum). However, I also believe in being a realist particularly around corporate behavior (which is my area of employment) and not leading people astray or providing false hope and expectations. At this point I would not recommend the sports watch products since they are no longer in that market so there is an expectation (backed up be recent experience) that support will quickly diminish for the existing product line. In addition, there have been numerous unaddressed issues with the current product line which are worrying. Finally, they are simply not competitive any longer. With numerous other brands offering equivalent of better products for a similar price point, it is hard to justify recommending purchasing a retired product versus one from an active brand. This is in no way a reflection of TomTom as a company or on its people (which are both great), but simply looking at a product comparison. TT, in the sports watch sector, was in a kill-or-die situation (as you put it) and chose die (I guess suicide by your analogy) and removed themselves from the market for the very reasons stated above, they could not produce a competitive product that provided adequate financial results. This is not to say they do not value customer loyalty, but as stated above they have no need for it as we as sports watch customers will not be buying more sports watches from them. This will be a factor in all decisions they make as a company as from here on they are getting no return for their investment in the sports watch market. Any updates or changes they make will be solely for existing customers and will not drive revenues or profits, rather it will cost them money that could be used in a revenue generating effort elsewhere.