Heart rate signal lost when wet

AlbertPaddles
AlbertPaddles Registered Users Posts: 1
New Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I use my Spark mostly for paddling surfski in the ocean. It's the model with only a chest strap, no optical heart rate measurement.

I wear a second skin and a light life jacket.

The problem comes in when the second skin and life jacket get wet. Any splash from a wave on my way out, for example.

It works fine SUPing (and falling in a lot) without the clothing. So the salt water itself does not seem to be the issue. I replaced the sensor's battery. No luck.

I never had any issues with old polars. My friends all use garmins. They don't have issues.

It seems the salt water in the wet clothing blocks the signal?

Solutions? Are other Bluetooth Smart sensors more powerful or is Bluetooth Smart itself the issue?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    Bluetooth Smart is the issue as there is a limited range and it will not transmit through water. The wetsuit may be enough to block it but if your chest is in the water it will definitely not work. Your only other option would be to try a wrist mounted sensor like the Scosche or Wahoo ones, as they can be mounted right next to the watch so they may have a more stable connection.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.