Fitness points for Swimming — TomTom Community

Fitness points for Swimming

GrahamG123GrahamG123 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
Why can't we get an alternative Fitness points for Swimming?

I like the fitness points idea and concept but it does make swimming not worthwhile? Why no fix or estimates for this, related to time or best efforts, or something?

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,329
    Superusers
    Because Fitness Points are based on VO2Max which are only calculated for running and cycling. It also requires an HR reading which you cannot get in swimming as the HR is turned off by default as it is inaccurate in the water.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • GrahamG123GrahamG123 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    It is the expected answer, but not one that should be the last.

Tomtom need to try harder, think about all the people who swim that are being discriminated against. Come up with a formula to encourage fitness with swimming. Why should you just accept you have no solution. Obviously a 30 minute swim should earn some rudimentary predictive fitness points not just zero?

one of the main reasons for Tomtom over a competitors watch is the swimming component, and I would expect Tomtom to support this.

Try harder Please!
    Superusers
    GrahamG123 wrote:
    It is the expected answer, but not one that should be the last.

Tomtom need to try harder, think about all the people who swim that are being discriminated against. Come up with a formula to encourage fitness with swimming. Why should you just accept you have no solution. Obviously a 30 minute swim should earn some rudimentary predictive fitness points not just zero?

one of the main reasons for Tomtom over a competitors watch is the swimming component, and I would expect Tomtom to support this.

Try harder Please!
    There is no discrimination. HR is not activated in swimming for most sports watches as the technology is simply not accurate in the water. For Fitness Points to be at all meaningful they need to be based on real, accurate, repeatable calculations, which requires a baseline measurement like VO2Max. To just base it on effort would be useless as everyone's effort is different.

Every major multi-sport watch released in the last several years from every brand has had swimming (and generally implemented better than TT) so I am not sure what made it a deciding factor for you, but it is actually the least used function on the TT watches and has not changed since the day they released the first device. This is a essentially a running watch with some optional sports modes added on, it has never been marketed for swimming exclusively.

In any case, TT has left the wearables market and is not producing any new devices, so I would expect at this point any updates will be limited to bug fixes (and even that may be limited - it has been over three months since the last update broke connectivity for many users and introduced battery drain issues and that is still unresolved). I would not expect much more development and certainly not something major particularly on the watch side (they may continue to tweak the MySports site and app, but not the watches themselves).

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • giving upgiving up Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    I’m a swimmer too. These points are a bit of a nonsense but if they are there to do anything, it’s to encourage you. Give us some swimming points to laud it over the Lycra louts.

My my watch is very unpredictable in the gym in that it shows a lot of 50bpm (I’m not big mig indurain) therefore I miss out on points there. Plus if I do a few extra things during the week I knock years off my fitness age- really? No I just get knackered knees and Achilles. I thought my times would be compared to the times of whatever year olds to see if I have the fitness of an x year old. And people say swimmers get f all because the results wouldn’t be accurate!
  • Jeff1_lewistonJeff1_lewiston Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Adding swimming points should be easy points = distance/time X some variable that corresponds to a known value in other sports. It may not be perfect, but it is something,
    Superusers
    Adding swimming points should be easy points = distance/time X some variable that corresponds to a known value in other sports. It may not be perfect, but it is something,

TomTom Sports went out of business almost 2 years ago and ceased all development at that time. Nothing is changing, there will be no updates, it is a dead product.