Can't Connect Spark 3 to TomTom Sports Connect

edd_ing
edd_ing Registered Users Posts: 2
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hi,

I am having trouble trying to connect my spark 3 to the tom tom sports connect on a new laptop. I had no trouble using a windows 7 computer but now my windows 10 seems to be having problems.
I have read a few other issues on this and have completed the following:
  1. Un-installed and reinstalled the software.
  2. Attempted a factory reset (But as I can't connect to sports connect it doesn't seem to be able to do it).
  3. The watch is charging ok with the computer but is not being recognised when I check the devices.
  4. I even tried a virtual machine with windows 7 but that didn't work.
has anyone had a similar experience and have a fix?
Thanks for your time :-)

Edd

P.s Are Tom Tom ever going bring out a watch that you can download apps on such as Spotify etc. :-)

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    Are you getting any error messages when you plug the watch in or is it being recognized at all? Does the clock face change to a battery charging icon (which indicates it is getting power so there is a partial connection). A few things to look at (and I apologize if some are very basic but it is best to get past the obvious issues first):

1) Are you plugged directly into the machine and not a hub?
    2) Does the port work, can the computer detect other devices (like flash drives) in that port?
    3) Is the watch firmly snapped into the cradle and the USB plug firmly in the port?
    4) Is the USB plug free of any debris or blockages?
    5) Is the Connect software actually running (is there an icon for it in the notification area)?
    6) Did you install MySports Connect, not MyDrive Connect? It is downloaded from tomtom.com/123
    7) Do you have administrator rights to the computer?
    8) Is a firewall or antivirus running that is blocking the software from connecting to TomTom (try turning them off before docking the watch)?
    9) Does the computer have a good Internet connection (Internet is required to sync)?
    10) Can you try installing it on a different machine to determine if it is an issue with the computer versus the watch?

In particular, make sure it is fully snapped into the cradle. If it does not have a full connection it will charge but it will not be recognized by the computer. It seems simple but this is generally the issue. It needs to fully click into the cradle and it may help to take it out of the band to do so. Also check that none of the pins on the dock are bent or pressed in, as that will prevent a connection.

If nothing above helps you may have a bad dock or there may be computer setting blocking it. At that point I would suggest calling Customer Support and seeing what they can do. They are able to more deeply investigate and diagnose problems than we can here on the user forum. To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact, enter the product name and click Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

As to the new device question the answer is no for two reasons. First that would require the watch to have a cellular connection to stream or an OS that can support the Spotify app to play offline. Both would make the watch too expensive. More importantly, TT has left the wearables market and is not producing any new devices so there will be no new devices of any kind.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • edd_ing
    edd_ing Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thank you for your guidance tfarabaugh. I have added my comments below yours.

1) Are you plugged directly into the machine and not a hub?
    Yes straight into the computer, no USB hub. Have tried all 3 com ports.

2) Does the port work, can the computer detect other devices (like flash drives) in that port?
    Yes port works, detects other devices and charges the watch.

3) Is the watch firmly snapped into the cradle and the USB plug firmly in the port?
    Yep

4) Is the USB plug free of any debris or blockages?
    Yep - blown it out with a can of air. There are 4 terminals on the wire that connects to the watch, do you know which terminal is which? I.e power, data?

5) Is the Connect software actually running (is there an icon for it in the notification area)?
    Yes, software is running, however it wont open from "All Programs". But does open when i select the watch symbol from the icons in the task bar.

6) Did you install MySports Connect, not MyDrive Connect? It is downloaded from http://tomtom.com/123
    Yes have downloaded from there, have also tried different versions i.e spark, spark 3, runner etc.

7) Do you have administrator rights to the computer?
    8) Is a firewall or antivirus running that is blocking the software from connecting to TomTom (try turning them off before docking the watch)?
    Yes all turned off and have admin rights.

9) Does the computer have a good Internet connection (Internet is required to sync)?
    Yep

10) Can you try installing it on a different machine to determine if it is an issue with the computer versus the watch?
    Now tried it on 3 different machines but still no luck - can't get passed the connect screen.

Few questions:
    How can I do a reset on the device if it doesn't connect to the computer?
    Am I correct in saying I have a spark if my serial number begins with HN?
    My software version on my watch is 1.3.255, could this be a problem with the drivers? I.e the software is so old it doesn't work with the new drivers?

As you say I think I have to contact customer support.

Cheers,

Edd
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    You cannot reset without a computer, it is a Spark, the software version is fine (the later ones are actually broken so you want to stay on that one). You need to call Customer Support at this point as they can dig into the computer settings.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.