Cannot create this file F:\data.chk- TomTom HOME error — TomTom Community

Cannot create this file F:\data.chk- TomTom HOME error

Phil36Phil36 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
Hi,
Tomtom home listed updates but keep getting error message as above.
I've reset device, tried a different usb cable even uninstalled home and re-installed it.
Still same message..... any advice appreciated

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,311
    Superusers
    What model do you have and what exactly are you trying to update? A map?
  • Phil36Phil36 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Hi, thanks for your reply, I have a tomtom xl, I signed into home, clicked on update my device, it says "application for car and motor navigation" the latest version 9.510 so your device has the latest features and best performance bla bla bla.
    It downloads ok but then fails to install to internal memory.
    Its only 35.5 mb and I have plenty of storage space.
    Superusers
    You could try the following:
    1. First, make a manual, not Home, backup of the unit's contents. See here: https://www.tomtomforums.com/threads/how-to-backup-the-contents-of-your-unit-to-the-computer-and-how-to-restore-it.17864/
    2. Use Windows Explorer (or Finder if a Mac) delete all the loose files in the root of the drive letter assigned to the unit. NO folders. Loose files are all those not in any folder)
    3. Start Home and connect the device to the computer. Log into Home if necessary. You should get a message that you need an application update. Accept and see if things go better.
    Hi,
    when I tried to do the manual back up, I created a folder then clicked on F drive where the tomtom device is located and it says I don't have access to this folder, I am the administrator, I followed the prompts to gain access but it still denies me.
    Superusers
    I don't know what to tell you then........ obviously what you describe shouldn't be happening.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,814
    Superuser
    @Phil36

As you seem to have exhausted the knowledge of us users, I think it is time that you contact Customer Services to see what they can suggest

SAV France
    01 70 36 35 82
    du lundi au vendredi de 09h00 à 17h30
    Thank you both for your input, I will try the after sales number as suggested, I just seem to be going around in circles.
    THANK AGAIN - APPRECIATED
    SUCCESS!!
    it appears I had two separate problems, I've recently had a new computer and Windows 10 has a "secret" administrator,
    so when I was logged in on my own account I was getting a message "you don't have the right to access these files" when trying to update my device.
    Once I made myself the administrator, I followed the advice of dhn and now my device has been updated and is working correctly. THANKS AGAIN
    Superusers
    Glad you got the issue resolved, Phil.