Instant Pace

Freestyle75
Freestyle75 Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hi, I’ve just bought this watch and went for my first run to try it out. Please help fix your terrible lag issues on the instant pace. It’s simply terrible. I’ve seen forums about this and seen talk of its design to make data reporting smoother. This is ok to a point, but seriously Tom Tom?? I run along, watch reporting 8.15min/mile and I know I’m running quicker. Then I put in an effort for 150 metres (approx 6min/mile pace) and the watch still says 8.15 - 8.30 pace?? I then slow back down after ~40 secs to 9 min /mile pace and the watch now says 6.45 pace?? The lag is massive and totally unacceptable. All miles out of the 4 I ran today were all approx 7.30 min/mile pace and the APP showed this beautifully and the AVG pace on the watch works fine. However when viewing the instant pace rarely EVER did the watch display anything under 8 min/mile. HELP fix this problem. We all accept a little lag but not 45 seconds!!

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,932
    Superuser
    No watch has true "instant pace". It is all computed in arrears and is a balance between responsiveness and smoothness. A longer lag time gives you smoother data but is slow to react. A short lag time gets faster responsiveness but choppier data. TomTom is slow to react to changes in pace because it applies a long smoothing period to produce smooth, non-choppy data. If you are running at a fairly steady pace you will not notice the lag. However, if you are doing intervals or sprints or changing speed a lot the lag can be become more apparent.

That being said, this has been a complaint since the first version of the watch was released 5 years ago and really has not changed much, so I would not expect much to change now. Considering TT has left the wearables market and is not producing any new devices (and never even released the Adventurer in the US), I am surprised you bought one. I would assume at this point any updates will be limited to bug fixes (and even that may be limited - it has been over three months since the last update broke connectivity for many users and introduced battery drain issues and that is still unresolved). I would not expect much more development and certainly not something major particularly on the watch side (they may continue to tweak the MySports site and app, but not the watches themselves).

If this is a vital feature for you and you are within your return period you may want to look at other devices that offer this option now. I would not count on it coming, you need to make your decision based on the features that are currently offered, and not what may come in the future.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Freestyle75
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thanks for your thorough response. I didn’t t know about the wearables market being no more! I bought the device as a second unit to wear everyday. All my training is usually done wearing a Garmin 910xt which has amazing and accurate pace changing and data recording every second so this device was never going to compare I just didn’t think it would have a 30 - 40 sec lag! The watch is recording the data in the backgroud just doesn’t display it. I ran 4 miles at 7.37 minmile avg and yet I only saw the watch dip below 8.15 a couple of times. APP interface is lovely and the recall stats on the APP is great. Hey I guess it is what it is. Just a shame they never addressed this obvious flaw. Cheers
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    Thanks for your thorough response. I didn’t t know about the wearables market being no more! I bought the device as a second unit to wear everyday. All my training is usually done wearing a Garmin 910xt which has amazing and accurate pace changing and data recording every second so this device was never going to compare I just didn’t think it would have a 30 - 40 sec lag! The watch is recording the data in the backgroud just doesn’t display it. I ran 4 miles at 7.37 minmile avg and yet I only saw the watch dip below 8.15 a couple of times. APP interface is lovely and the recall stats on the APP is great. Hey I guess it is what it is. Just a shame they never addressed this obvious flaw. Cheers
    I think they tried to figure it out, but were unable to. Garmin has a 10+ year lead on them and they were never able to catch up. The idea of the watch was good (simple interface, minimal design, few customizations) but it was not implemented well and it took too long to fix things (which is still happening with the latest updates). I also have a Garmin Vivoactive3 I wear as an everyday watch and it is amazing. Looks like a regular watch and works flawlessly.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • djlegge
    djlegge Registered Users Posts: 14
    Apprentice Traveler
    It is a shame because other than that and the bluetooth problems (mostly okay for me) I think these are great devices and good value. I can't believe this would not be really easy to fix in the software because if you set freestyle / cycling mode the speed reading is accurate and stable. Pace = 1 / speed so the hardware is capable of working well. It seems crazy that TomTom don't just modify the software filtering so it doesn't get stuck showing rubbish readings for several minutes. I guess they have their hands full with the bluetooth issues right now though...
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    djlegge wrote:
    It is a shame because other than that and the bluetooth problems (mostly okay for me) I think these are great devices and good value. I can't believe this would not be really easy to fix in the software because if you set freestyle / cycling mode the speed reading is accurate and stable. Pace = 1 / speed so the hardware is capable of working well. It seems crazy that TomTom don't just modify the software filtering so it doesn't get stuck showing rubbish readings for several minutes. I guess they have their hands full with the bluetooth issues right now though...
    I don't think they have many developers left on staff judging by how long it is taking them to fix the update issues (3+ months and counting) so this is not likely to ever change.
  • Freestyle75
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thanks for the feedback. I’m gonna try a run on Freestyle mode. Data fields are the same and from just giving it a quick test, walk run it immediately seem much more responsive. If this is the answer that would be great!! ?