Does the Adventurer share firmware updates with the Spark 3 please?

JohnPG
JohnPG Registered Users Posts: 6
Neophyte Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I'm trying to decide between the Adventurer and the Spark 3. Although there are some hardware differences, in general does the Adventure get the same functionality updates as the Spark 3 please? In other words, will the Adventurer always be like the Spark 3 with th additional Barometer-related functionality on top?

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    They main difference is the barometer and extra sports modes (trail running, skiing, etc.). These will never come to the Spark, they are exclusive to the Adventurer. As relates to future updates, TT has left the wearables market and is not producing any new devices, so I would expect at this point any updates will be limited to bug fixes (and even that may be limited - it has been over three months since the last update broke connectivity for many users and introduced battery drain issues and that is still unresolved). I would not expect much more development and certainly not something major particularly on the watch side (they may continue to tweak the MySports site and app, but not the watches themselves). Take extra caution before making your purchase as you are essentially purchasing a retired legacy device. There are options from other brands with a similar price point, greater functionality and active development.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • JohnPG
    JohnPG Registered Users Posts: 6
    Neophyte Traveler
    That's not quite what I asked, but thank you. My question is whether updates made for the Spark (of which there are more) will be useable by the Adventurer (which are fewer). Or rather, are the common elements of the watches all upgraded together with the bespoke (e.g. barometer) elements being done separately.

I bought the Adventurer in the end and have been very much enjoying using it. I rather hope that TomTom continues to manage the firmware for a little while longer as happy customers will stick with TomTom for other products.
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    JohnPG wrote:
    That's not quite what I asked, but thank you. My question is whether updates made for the Spark (of which there are more) will be useable by the Adventurer (which are fewer). Or rather, are the common elements of the watches all upgraded together with the bespoke (e.g. barometer) elements being done separately.

I bought the Adventurer in the end and have been very much enjoying using it. I rather hope that TomTom continues to manage the firmware for a little while longer as happy customers will stick with TomTom for other products.
    There are separate updates although they are sometimes released concurrently. As the software is different for each an update for one may not apply to the other so in that case they will be updated separately.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.