Rider 420 memory card

IvanJBIvanJB Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
edited January 31 in RIDER
I have just acquired a TomTom Rider 420 after a long line of Garmin devices.
I hope this is going to prove as god as the Garmins, but so far the basic user instructions are proving somewhat less than adequate. The main problem I have is that I can find no reference at all to the type and capacity of memory card allowable other than 'some TomTom devices have a memory card slot in the bottom or side of the device'!!
I can see that! What is the max. capacity supported? (I think it's a micro SD slot)
FAQ's don't recognise the term 'memory card'!
Please help?

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,523 Superusers
    Hi
    @IvanJB
    Try Tomtom FAQ....
    Compatible memory cards for map installation (MyDrive Connect)
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25213

58ad74b2-8be5-4bde-afae-04134de4c724.jpg

TomTom Rider 410/400/40/450/420/42 User Guide
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/rider_400_40/index.htm

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

There are more convenient ways to do the first (Bluetooth or MyDrive).
  • EXPORTMANEXPORTMAN Posts: 633 Superusers
    The formatting of the Micro SD cardfor maps is different to the one for routes/tracks
    The route/tracks format can be ready by normal PCs/Macs so you can transfer files to is
    the Maps one you can only install new maps to when it is in the Tomtom device, this is part of the piracy protection. Put it in a different tomtom and it wont load the maps.

If you want to transfer routes/tracks you can use the SD card a direct link through my drive ( or myrouteapp gold) or by Bluetooth from another compatible device provided the files are in the transmitting device as GPX files
    Born free, now in debt
  • IvanJBIvanJB Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Thanks for replies so far.
    So, if I have a memory card, can I plan routes on the PC, enter them on the card, put the card in the 420 and it will pick it up and guide me?
    Yes using something like "Tyre" or "myrouteapp" save your route then copy it to the memory card as a GPX1.1 route insert this into the device and it will recognise your card and ask if you want to import the routes . Follow the on screen prompts and you will have two copies of the route on your device a track and a route. I find that routes are better as they are more forgiving if you do not follow the exact course.

Also worth noting. If you have a route for a group ride it is best not to start the navigation until you have arrived at the start point. On the older devices (Rider 1-5) if you started the route at home it would navigate you to the start point. Now it navigates you to the nearest point on the route then continues it from there.
    Born free, now in debt
    Thanks very much, Exportman. Do I have to format the card using the 420, or can I do it on the PC (Mac)
    Hi

You can format it on the PC but I cant remember what type of format to use. May be best first time to use the device to format it for routes ( if I remember correctly it does give you the option) then use it in the PC
    Born free, now in debt
    Thanks again for all your help, Exportman. May be this Tom Tom will turn out to be as good as the Garmins!!
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 273 [Exalted Navigator]
    i would try taking a memory card in and out once or twice, its a pita for sure. you'll be on to other ways. Bluetooth from phone, usb, lots of options without taking the card out. (yes i have a card in mine, helps with exporting from the 400)

good luck and welcome,
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 725 Superuser
    As already said, the SD card is the least convenient way to transfer files.

Try BlueTooth, MyDrive (you may design routes and transfer files), and USB cable (ordered by the most convenient).

I would advice not to fill the device with routes or tracks but only with what’s necessary because it will be difficult to browse them.
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 273 [Exalted Navigator]
    Though they added a search for stored routes,as firmware update I think.
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 725 Superuser
    Yes, in 17.3. But search is not enough. You've to remember something to search...

Some type of organization is needed. A database? A simple file system like structure?