How does my watch know the resistance on my elliptical?

Orsino
Orsino Registered Users Posts: 2
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I'm trying out the fitness activity program that was added to my watch in a software update recently. In thinking things through, I can't figure out how the watch can assess my performance properly, as it has no idea what resistance I'm working against on my elliptical cross-trainer.

Let me explain. As far as I know, all the watch can do is detect my motion and measure my heart rate. Let's say I do an hour's workout at 120 steps a minute and my heart rate is 150. If I'm achieving that against a resistance of ten, I'm pretty fit. But if it's a resistance of only one, I'm pretty unfit.

So, back to my question, how can the watch calculate a level of fitness when it has no idea how much work I'm doing?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    It cannot and it is not intended to. All the watch is doing is measuring your HR and time (there is no distance measured on an elliptical). The Fitness Age and Fitness Points are based on VO2Max and are only calculated for running and cycling activities. It has no idea how many steps you are taking as elliptical is not the same motion as walking or running so it will not be accurate. You should be using gym mode which will give you time, HR and calories based on HR which is the best measure of performance you will get. It is the same as on a treadmill where it doesn't know what incline you are on, it is basing fitness on your HR and where it falls in each zone.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Orsino
    Orsino Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thanks, tfarabaugh - a very useful and succinct explanation!