flashing red x- XL device — TomTom Community

flashing red x- XL device

mkade666mkade666 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
any know how to fix my tomtom XL n14644???

it will power up when plugged in but gets stuck on the startup screen and displays a flashing red X doesn't do anything else, ive tried the reset button with no joy.

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,363
    Superusers
    First of all, check whether your device is considered End of Life by Tomtom:
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22600#list

If your model is NOT listed then maybe you might want to try this (NO guarantees!!):
    1. Make a manual backup -- not Home -- of your unit's contents. See here: https://www.tomtomforums.com/threads/how-to-backup-the-contents-of-your-unit-to-the-computer-and-how-to-restore-it.17864/
    2. Delete all the loose files in the root of your device, in other words, all files NOT in any folders. Do not delete any folders.
    3. Connect the device to Home and Home should detect you are missing an application and offer to download one. Accept it and let it install.
    4. Remove your device properly from Home using the disconnect icon at the bottom of Home's screen.
    5. Restart the device and see if that helps.
    Again, no promises.
  • mkade666mkade666 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    ive plugged it into pc and it keeps coming up saying its a storage device and needs formatting which ive ignored and ive managed to open the file folders and none of them contain any contents and can see its saying file system ( RAW) and 100 percent free space 954mb
  • eltonio75eltonio75 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    mkade666 wrote:
    any know how to fix my tomtom XL n14644???

it will power up when plugged in but gets stuck on the startup screen and displays a flashing red X doesn't do anything else, ive tried the reset button with no joy.

same happened with mine fella, had not used my device for 8mnths, started some delivery work and first night after made sure it was all good to go, and circle and X, spent the last week trying to sort it, but as previous post with link list of devices at end of life, mine is one of them.
    Cheers TomTom, my device i spent shitloads on, yet i never even had a say of when 'I CHOSE' that MY device was done with.
    Like many have said, time for a Garmin, now got one and all the bits n add ons etc and not had to remortgage or sell a body part

just pissed i wasted a week trying to sort a problem i had no chance sorting pft