Fitness age on Spark 3

mAXoSCAR
mAXoSCAR Registered Users Posts: 1
New Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I am a 63 year old male.
I am active most days and would consider myself fitter than most men my age.
My fitness points reach 500+ at least 3 times a week, and 1500+ at least once a month.
My fitness age is stuck on 76 and vo2 on 31.
Are these indicators of other problems?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,932
    Superuser
    What kind of activities are you performing. Fitness Age is based on VO2Max and it only records VO2Max in running and cycling, so if you are not doing those it will not change.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • bigmazungo
    bigmazungo Registered Users Posts: 4
    Apprentice Traveler
    While not the same on the specifics the issues raised by the correspodent correspond with my experience too. I am - to say the least - most chagrined by the assessment of fitness age that my fitness level is equal to that of a 63 year old man - I'm 10 years younger than that! Am I taking things too personally here and missing the point about what this assessment actually mean and how it is calculated? Interestingly it also puts my VO2 max at "average" for some of my actual age. How has it come to a measure of my VO2, I ask?

My sole activity is running . I run about three to four times a week with a long run at the weekend. I noticed recently that I had in error put my weight at a much heaver scale than I actually ever was but on correcting this recently the assessment is defiant in the view that my youth is well and truly behind me and that I now have more in common fitness wise with a group of male retirees. HELP!
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,932
    Superuser
    bigmazungo wrote:
    While not the same on the specifics the issues raised by the correspodent correspond with my experience too. I am - to say the least - most chagrined by the assessment of fitness age that my fitness level is equal to that of a 63 year old man - I'm 10 years younger than that! Am I taking things too personally here and missing the point about what this assessment actually mean and how it is calculated? Interestingly it also puts my VO2 max at "average" for some of my actual age. How has it come to a measure of my VO2, I ask?

My sole activity is running . I run about three to four times a week with a long run at the weekend. I noticed recently that I had in error put my weight at a much heaver scale than I actually ever was but on correcting this recently the assessment is defiant in the view that my youth is well and truly behind me and that I now have more in common fitness wise with a group of male retirees. HELP!
    The weight and height will be a major factor and once changed it will take a while for the software to catch up. I honestly don't feel you can make any judgments from what it is telling you in terms of fitness points or fitness age. It only uses runs or cycles to calculate points and while it does refine its readings over time but it seems to be a random, capricious measure that ties to very little. It is based on whatever algorithm TT came up with, which is different than what Garmin uses or Strava uses, or anyone else. Ultimately I don't expect a watch to be able to tell me how fit I am.
  • Bimfuhrer
    Bimfuhrer Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    I regularly cycle a 13km MTB route. September 2nd I did the route and got 1477 points. I repeated this exact route 8 days later, (shaving off 2 full minutes) and followed that up with a 2km run but only received 957 points for this combined activity.

Please explain the marked difference in points scored for the same activity. None of my other parameters were changed, I weigh the same, haven't changed gender and remain exactly the same height.