Tom Tom External Heart Rate Monitor Accuracy

hollandsmailgroups
hollandsmailgroups Registered Users Posts: 9
Legendary Explorer
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I've purchased the external Tom Tom HRM (+ strap) for use with my Spark3 there are a couple of issues I'd like to get feedback upon:
1: Example: ParkRun - I'll perform a warm up (typically after wearing the HRM strap for 30+ minutes beforehand) and, somewhat as expected, the initial measurements are inaccurate then they settle down. I'll stop for maybe 5 - 10 minutes maximum then go for the #parkrun itself. What I observe is the first ~5 - 10 minutes of the #parkrun run the HR is very high then again settles down - any ideas? [In context I have an old Garmin Forerunner however, never seen this particular behaviour)
2: If I pause the watch the HRM disconnects - my initial thought was the battery needed changing and have replaced the battery - could I have a faulty HRM?

Comments

• luca69x
    luca69x Registered Users Posts: 36
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi hollandsmailgroups,
    I had the same problem, the band tomtotm is bad, while the sensor in my opinion good, I replaced the band with the premium garmin and everything' ok.
  • hollandsmailgroups
    Legendary Explorer
    Thanks luca69x - I'll use my Garmin strap over the weekend and see the results
  • hollandsmailgroups
    Legendary Explorer
    luca69x you were 'spot on' the runs over the weekend with the Garmin HRM Strap were exactly where I'd expect them to be - problem solved - the Tom Tom HRM strap will be consigned to the bin :)8c40ca35-a97c-4cb1-ad7a-0eb27c06d91a.jpgab0de88a-7490-4b4e-b39e-41579df4c391.jpg
  • 3DJimbo
    3DJimbo Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    Is there any chance of some more details regarding the Garmin Strap? What model / type was it? Was it a simple swap for the Tom Tom Unit itself, just a "new" strap? Just bought the Tom Tom HRM and want to get the best out of it and if that means a different strap then i'm willing to buy one, I would just like more details. I've got a spark 3 and it connects with no problem, I'm just a little concerned about the potential inaccuracy of it.

Thanks.
  • hollandsmailgroups
    Legendary Explorer
    It is the standard Garmin strap which comes with their cycling / running GPS's. What I have discovered since, is despite wearing the HRM for 30 minutes or so prior to running, is the initial HR is very high ~200+ then settles down after about ~1Km. This effect isn't observed on my previous Garmin GPS watch (same strap different HRM) which as you'd expect rises quickly, overshoots the mean then settles down (similarly not observed on the cycling GPS either). Certainly the Garmin strap is significantly better than the Tom Tom one however, come to the conclusion to accept the HRM as it is and ignore the inital readings (BTW I've changed the battery in the HRM as I noticed as it gets low the HRM performance isn't great)