TomTom GO Mobile iOS project dead? - Page 2 — TomTom Community

TomTom GO Mobile iOS project dead?

2»

Comments

• PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 333 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Feek wrote:
    GO is still utter garbage. I tried it again at the weekend and it's still the utter lagfest that it's always been.
    I rang TomTom support a few days ago about the late and they said "delete the app and reinstall" which I've done but I haven't tried it out on a long journey with plenty of roundabouts yet. However I'm not expecting the "fix" to solve the lag problem.
    One thing that has always amazed me is that TomTom haven't provided a method of exporting/importing favourites from the old app to the new one. My old one is full and I have no method of transferring them to GO so they're effectively useless if I have to move.
    This is why I have always used POIs instead of favourites.

The TomTom website even states:

Favourites are places that you go to often. You can create Favourites so that you don’t have to enter the address every time you want to navigate there. They don’t have to be places you like, just useful addresses.
    Points of Interest or POIs are interesting places on the map. Some examples could be restaurants, hotels, museums, parking garages or petrol stations.
    • You can split your locations into different POI categories (e.g. ‘private’ and ‘business’).
    • While the number of Favourites is limited to 48 per map (to 100 on Carminat TomTom), the number of POIs is unlimited within a POI category. You can have upto 100 POI categories on your TomTom.
    • Your POIs are not lost when you reset factory settings .
    • You can easily transfer your POIs from one map to another when you purchase a new release of your map in the future.
    The above can be seen:
    http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6871/~/advantages-of-pois-over-favourites

However, I think that you can at least convert the favourites to POIs by using POIEdit (Windows program). The file you need is Mapsettings.cfg, which is in the Documents\map folder.

Unfortunately although you can (possibly) convert the favourites to POIs, it won't do you any good as you can't load POIs onto the iOS GO Mobile app. But at least you will have your POIs which you may wish to use on a different manufacturer's SatNav.

Regards,
  • FeekFeek Posts: 37 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Nice idea but I don't have any Windows computers!
    I've just bought Sygic for about £15, it's on special offer until the end of the month. Now I'll be trying to get a refund for my original TomTom app.
    I'm using Mac and iPhone.

If you don't have windows, are you using Mac?
    If so, GPSBabel may work.

I presume that you have Sygic iOS as you've posted in GO Mobile iOS forum. I've also got Sygic iOS, but I don't think that it's possible to load POIs onto Sygic iOS. Even if it was, I'm sure that their proprietary coded .upi or .rupi POI files can only be created on a Windows PC and not on a Mac when I last asked some time ago.

Regards,
  • Ainsley001Ainsley001 Posts: 35 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Unbelievably, today there is an iOS update for My Drive - WHICH DOESN'T WORK WITH THEIR OWN IOS SAT NAV APP!!
  • JouhkiJouhki Posts: 26 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    lampard wrote:
    Hi All,

We’re preparing for an app update (v1.10) with some new features and possible inclusions are MyDrive Sync, Avoid part of a route, Avoid roadblock.

Unfortunately, we do not have any timeline at this point but I will keep you posted here as we near the release date.

Regards,
    lampard

Who cares about those "new" features (things that were already included in the old app years ago) when the current features are not working.

First fix what there already is and make it a decent app instead of just throwing more half baked buggy stuff in it and make it even a bigger mess then it already is.

I'm (finally) joining the side that is actively looking for an alternative as the lag is just unbearable and makes the app pretty much useless. The lag issue is going on for more then a year now without any signs of actually getting addressed and fixed within my lifetime.

Even apps that are totally free are doing better then TomTom now...
    Only advantage of TomTom is the Live Traffic which is good and accurate, better then the competition... but that function alone doesn't make a navigation app.
    Agree with all of the above.

I really can't understand why TomTom didn't take a long look at the old legacy iOS app and it's features, functionality, etc and use those as a minimum baseline for iOS GO Mobile.

Whilst I've already said that TomTom Traffic is excellent, I'be also found that TomTom's routing (presumably a combination of algorithms and TomTom's IQ Routes) to be one of the best for a SatNav (TomTom please note that I do give credit where credit is due).

However the rest of of iOS GO is just rubish:
    • Dangerous lag at junctions and roundabouts followed by screen wobble for over correction.
    • Display not so easy to read. Also screen display switched between distance and time to go but need both at all times.
    • Uses fractions instead of easier to read decimals when set to miles – when set to km miraculously get decimals.
    • Next instruction isn’t shown until with 2 miles.
    • No advance planning where you can set the day or time.
    • Right hand info bar is useless and configuration options almost non-existent.
    • 3D maps are annoying, to large (e.g. Europe is over 6GB as opposed to 2GB). Plus buildings are not accurate so 3D maps are useless.
    • Cannot report map problems or mark a road as closed for SatNav to take into account.
    • No POIs show on route. No MyDrive support. More importantly Custom POIs are not supported.
    • No URL Scheme, so another app cannot start SatNav or use a URL in an email to start app with destination.
    As for an alternative. I've bought a Garmin Camper 770 with lifetime maps and lifetime traffic. It's a much better package than iOS GO Mobile.

Come on TomTom. iOS GO Mobile is nearly two years old and is so flawed that it really should be classed as a beta release. Fix it, replace it, or just get out of the SatNav business, but do something!

Regards,
  • PedroStephanoPedroStephano Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    lampard wrote:
    Hi All,

We’re preparing for an app update (v1.10) with some new features and possible inclusions are MyDrive Sync, Avoid part of a route, Avoid roadblock.

Unfortunately, we do not have any timeline at this point but I will keep you posted here as we near the release date.

Regards,
    lampard

New iOS version update released 2 days ago includes Sync of My Places (yay!!) and sharing of destination time; avoid route in part; avoid roadblock. It's also optimised(!) for iPhone X (which sadly I cannot test).

I came here tonight to ask about the custom url issue and remembered how laggy I've noticed the app to be recently. So may I add my voice to the shedloads of comments here to request that these issues be brought up to date? Thanks.

TT lover since 2005. I accept no other, but I'll test anything!
  • jaydiscjaydisc Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I, too, am here for either URL scheme support, or at least some kind of action extension. I find it mind-blowing that I cannot share a Location to the TomTom app, ESPECIALLY when there must be some mechanism that Apple was using to call TomTom before rolling out Transit directions in their Maps.app. The functionality is THERE!!!
    jaydisc wrote:
    II find it mind-blowing that I cannot share a Location to the TomTom app,
    Have a look at the iOS app "POIViewer" by FrenchKiss Development. It's a POI management tool with a lot of feature, although it's not free it is worth the small price.

POIViewer allows you to import POI files (.ov2, .csv, etc) and you can get it to launch a SatNav app with the POI as the destination. The only trouble is that the name of the POI won't appear as a recent destination in TomTom GO Mobile iOS presumably because URL Scheme isn't setup.

Regards,
  • jaydiscjaydisc Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Interesting. They must have a way of launching TomTom Go. I might ask them how they're doing it.
  • KapsoonKapsoon Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    i am android user and new to TTGM (tomtomgomobile) and liking it so far. i don't know the old/original TT smartphone app.

so you guys are saying the TTGM-iOS is not a good application anymore and that it has dangerous gps/position lag during navigation? oic.

is there a notable difference between the quality of TTGM-iOS vs. TTGM-Android? i experience the navigation lag in every gps android app (sygic, navigon, mapfactor, google maps, etc), i think that's normal

i searched the android forum section for keyword and didn't find any hits. so maybe the lag issue is different between iOS and Android version?
    leech wrote:
    i am android user and new to TTGM (tomtomgomobile) and liking it so far. i don't know the old/original TT smartphone app.
    That's good that you like the Android version. What do you think of the iOS version?
    so you guys are saying the TTGM-iOS is not a good application anymore and that it has dangerous gps/position lag during navigation? oic.
    No, we're saying that it's never been a good application at all - ever!

It has always had a very dangerous lag. Something that the legacy iOS app never had.

What you need to know (if you don't already) is that a lot of us here are loyal TomTom SatNav customers and many of us have had TomTom SatNav products for any years, from the PDA and separate GPS units, through to owning TomTom PNDs, and finally to SatNav apps on our smart phones. We have seen great innovations in TomTom products only to see later SatNav products dumbed down and useful features removed. This is why there may be seen hostility to the TomTom GO Mobile iOS app when compared to the legacy one.

The TomTom GO Mobile iOS app has been on General Release to the public for over 2 years and still hasn't got all of the features of the legacy app that was killed off in September 2017. To give you an example: it was only in the last fortnight that we finally got MyDrive on the GO Mobile iOS app but it doesn't handle custom POIs, only favourites.

We have asked for so many things in the last 2 years to make TomTom GO Mobile iOS full of features and a world beater, but TomTom don't listen to us here, if they do then they are ignoring us.
    is there a notable difference between the quality of TTGM-iOS vs. TTGM-Android? i experience the navigation lag in every gps android app (sygic, navigon, mapfactor, google maps, etc), i think that's normal
    Don't know. I've never tried TomTom GO Mobile Android. Normally people will either have Android or iPhone (or another OS) but not both at the same time, perhaps you can tell us.
    i searched the android forum section for keyword and didn't find any hits. so maybe the lag issue is different between iOS and Android version?
    Possibly.
  • KapsoonKapsoon Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for your explanations!
    so is this the correct summary of the situation?
    • legacy TTGM-iOS = never had issues with dangerous lags; good set of functions; got killed off Sep 2017
    • new TTGM-iOS = has dangerous lags; even in the latest version v1.10 2018-03-06; dumbed down compared to legacy app version; not liked by so many original TT customers/fans
    • legacy TT Android app = got killed off years go; afaik Android users liked it quite a bit
    • new TTGM-Android app = market release 3.0yr ago; has imo no unusual lags; liked by newbie me for numerous criteria; latest version v1.17.1 2017-10-25
    oic then. i was just curious about the situation and why people wouldn't like TTGM. so TTGM, in general, is a dumbed down version of the legacy smartphone app; at the same time TTGM-Android has a few more functions (and no lag issues) than TTGM-iOS because the former has an advance in the development (v1.17.1 vs v1.10), although basically they aim to be the same app.

Sorry I don't have an iOS device and never saw the TTGM-iOS app. i can't tell anything about differences in functions, performance, lags. As a newbie i am rather satisfied with the Android app. It is imho likable as it is.

Btw I've trialed and compared the start-target navigation quality of CoPilot, Sygic Premium (and its FREE cousins), Navigon, iGO, Navitel, Google Maps, MapFactor-OSM, MapFactor-TTM, Maps.me, HERE WeGo, and TTGM, all on Android. And TTGM delivered the most agreeable, convincing navigation experience, right behind Navigon in the test county of gemani. So even if the app could have more functions (as the legacy version had), i am not unhappy with the status quo. TTGM-Android, as it is, still beats all other apps when it comes down to the actual navigation on the road (except for Navigon); this is the result of my careful objective comparison after my personal weighted critieria and hardly disputable.

I am sorry to hear though if the current iOS product is a lesser product than the former release. Guys, don't abandon TT phone app fanship!!, unless you know a factually better app :smiley:
  • graham_rgraham_r Posts: 275 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    leech wrote:

Btw I've trialed and compared the start-target navigation quality of CoPilot, Sygic Premium (and its FREE cousins), Navigon, iGO, Navitel, Google Maps, MapFactor-OSM, MapFactor-TTM, Maps.me, HERE WeGo, and TTGM, all on Android.

Just as an FYI, as of May 14th Garmin dropped all support for their nav apps and Navigon apps, Making the opening for TomTom to improve and gain marketshare even more real than ever :D here's to hoping!

now that 3rd party nav apps can get CarPlay support in iOS 12 (when it comes out) I hope TomTom jumps at the opportunity.
  • Bronco65Bronco65 Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    • Dangerous lag at junctions and roundabouts followed by screen wobble for over correction.

Hello Privateer,

I can't comment on the previous iOS app, but I actually think the Go Mobile iOS app isn't that bad. I can live with the "dangerous" lag you mention as you look at what's coming ahead, so even if the screen doesn't follow the road as smooth as it should you know where you are going. As a motorcycle rider I watch the nav screen much less as I need to look down slightly. I did a section today with multiple roundabouts short after another, screen was shown correct in time before the next roundabout. So I agree there is a lag, but on my iPhone X it's not a major problem (speed of iPhone X probably helps as well).

I actually stopped using Go Mobile as I can't get routes/tracks I created with MyDrive/Tyre/MyRoute onto the iPhone. Personally been waiting for 1 year now to have this feature implemented. (seems to work fine on Android)

So I bought a TT Rider as well just for this feature (might sell it again as soon as Go Mobile iOS has it)

By the way, speaking of lag, it's much worse on my TT Rider 410!