TomTom GO Mobile iOS project dead? — TomTom Community

TomTom GO Mobile iOS project dead?

PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 333 [Supreme Pioneer]
Dear TomTom,

Firstly, I've found TomTom Traffic (when the servers are running) to be excellent, up to the minute, and usually within a few hundred metres of where traffic jams start. So kudos to everybody at TomTom for Traffic.

However, the rest your current range of SatNav products like PNDs and iOS apps are just awful. I can't comment on the Android product as I don't have an Android phone. Let me explain:

I first bought a TomTom SatNav in May 2003 (i.e. over 14 years ago) which was TomTom Navigator 2 on a Compaq iPAQ H3970 Pocket PC. I then bought several PNDs (ONE, 730, 950) and then progressed to the TomTom legacy iOS app when I bought my first iPhone. Up until the TomTom 950 Live PND, features were added. After that PND I saw features being removed which is why I never bought any other of your PND products.

The TomTom legacy iOS app wasn't perfect but you could live with it, especially if you used third party software to add custom POIs. By the way custom POIs are essential to me as the built-in ones either don't exist (e.g. my family and friends) or they are inaccurate and don't take you to the exact location. In some cases the built-in POIs are so wrong that they take you to a location where you can't access the places you need (e.g. Waterperry Gardens, Oxfordshire, UK).

Now for the TomTom GO Mobile iOS app. I signed up for it on 14/03/2016. Today is 11/12/2017 i.e. 21 months ago and it's still awful. It's unfinished and lacking a lot of features that I've come to expect for TomTom, simply because previous TomTom products had those features. Looking at the activity in the TomTom GO Mobile iOS area of the forum you'll notice that it's dead compared to when GO Mobile was first released. Even MikkoK is a "Retired Community Manager". I take that to mean that a lot of people have given up on TomTom GO Mobile iOS and also the TomTom brand name. Here are some of the things that have been repeatedly asked for (i.e. fixes and new features) for nearly 2 whole years but TomTom has not done anything:

1. Dangerous lag at junctions and roundabouts followed by screen wobble for over correction.
2. Display not so easy to read. Also screen display switched between distance and time to go but need both at all times.
3. Uses fractions instead of easier to read decimals when set to miles – when set to km miraculously get decimals.
4. Next instruction isn’t shown until with 2 miles.
5. No advance planning where you can set the day or time.
6. Right hand info bar is useless and configuration options almost non-existent.
7. 3D maps are annoying, to large (e.g. Europe is over 6GB as opposed to 2GB).
8. Cannot report map problems or mark a road as closed for SatNav to take into account.
9. No POIs show on route. No MyDrive support. More importantly Custom POIs are not supported.
10. No URL Scheme, so another app cannot start SatNav or use a URL in an email to start app with destination

In Late November 2017, TomTom sent me a questionnaire and stated that "We always strive to improve our products and your experience using them. This is your chance to make your voice heard and share your ideas. We are listening". Why hasn't TomTom listened to this forum's members to improve the GO Mobile iOS app?

TomTom also asked for beta testers, does this mean that the TomTom GO Mobile iOS project is dead?

Regards,

Comments

• babyboxbabybox Posts: 51 [Master Explorer]
    Ik agree with all of the above. But als on certain roads there is no traffic. Have send this feedback in a lot of times by phone, email and this forum. They still have to solve this. More than one year

The lack features
    The terrible lag
    No roadplan of WHEN they expect to fix things
    We are atually the beta-testers

Is all of a bigger plan of contempt for the customer i suppose
  • Clint989Clint989 Posts: 41 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Ditto to all of the above
  • Alster53Alster53 Posts: 24 [Master Explorer]
    I think the lack of response answers the question!!!!! I’ve moved to another app..
  • RJantzRJantz Posts: 22 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Ditto to all of the above. I, like Privateer, have been communicating with TomTom support for over 2 years and it really hasn't gotten us anywhere or anything. They could have (and should have) written a brand new app in the time we've just been waiting for some improvement on an already created product. I also agree on the lack of response...which has been getting less and less. I too have moved on...I'd tell you which one...but the goon squad will remove my post if I do that. I think the thing that is the most frustrating is that we all would be happy to be able to keep using the original TomTom app for iOS. They arbitrarily stopped it from working...all they would have to do is put it back in the App Store and support it again! Then they could fire the programmers that are currently working on GO Mobile (or it would appear....NOT working). That old product is far better than the "new" one.
  • phaasnophaasno Posts: 31 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I, too, have given up on Tomtom. I now use other navigation apps (can't say which, because my reply will be deleted by the moderators).
    All competing apps, even the one from Apple, which has seriously been lacking, are now way ahead of this sorry attempt by Tomtom.

Sadly, it's not even only me, who has given up on the Tomtom Go app for iPhone. Even Tomtom themselves have given up trying.
    I can't begin to describe how sad it is that a no longer very new device like the iPhone X is still not completely supported. Tomtom must have forgotten that this app is one of the most expensive purchases anyone makes on apps for their smartphones.
  • jcochranejcochrane Posts: 34 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    It is indeed sad that TomTom seem to have given up on the iOS platform. linking to MyDrive would be a big and important step forward. Running the app on Android is near perfect so come on TomTom how about us iOS users.
    At the moment running the app on iOS is a waste of time and I've had to stop using it until it is improved. Until it is linked to MyDrive I'll have to resort to other apps out there.
  • tomy141tomy141 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I just asked my first question about importing POI´s an now reading all above makes me very sad....
    Now I´ll also have to look for a new navigation app if nothing changes in the next month or so.
  • livfosslivfoss Posts: 11 [Legendary Explorer]
    Is there any way to get the mother ship to reply to all this? I mean, are they working on improving the iOS GO app or not? I just got hit by the lag issue in London- the app told me to turn after I had passed the turning! This is useless,
  • DavidQPRDavidQPR Posts: 25 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I missed a turning today because of the lag, couldn’t get back for 5 miles. I’ve finally given up on this app now, Tomtom certainly have, never any updates these days.
    Somewhere i read on their twitter, they are working on an update especially for the iPhone X. But maybe the only person working on it has been given a long vacation.

Obviously the TomTom Go app is slowly killed. They are making more money with deals with carmakers and with Fleet-management. And they are working with projects on autonomous driving. This Tomtom Go isn't giving them enough money.

The only reasons why i prefer tomtom is
    • better traffic prediction
    • offline maps
    • camera notification
    • logical route-calculation
    Google maps, Apple maps, Here Maps all are lacking one or more features

I'm using the iphone app since 2010. So i don't like its being terminated slowly

But, why can't they communicate on it? Why is the Tomtom management quiet
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,305 TomTom Moderator
    Hi All,

We’re preparing for an app update (v1.10) with some new features and possible inclusions are MyDrive Sync, Avoid part of a route, Avoid roadblock.

Unfortunately, we do not have any timeline at this point but I will keep you posted here as we near the release date.

Regards,
    lampard
  • davetrurodavetruro Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I worked in software development for many years and the statement from lampard that TT are preparing an update but don't know when it will be ready is incredulous. if they were serious, they would have an approximate date. It sounds as though it's something that's been done when they have a spare minute or two. This is not a professional way to undertake software development.
  • Pies82Pies82 Posts: 21 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Im afraid this app has been dead since it was released. TomTom clearly have bigger priorities but I guess they might as well keep this running and direct no funds to it as they must be making some money from subscriptions. They must give it ten minutes attention every 6 months. As others have said it is such a shame as with minimal work it would be the best sat nav out there. It is just incredibly boring that they constantly pretend there are things in the pipeline when there never are.
    lampard wrote:
    Hi All,

We’re preparing for an app update (v1.10) with some new features and possible inclusions are MyDrive Sync, Avoid part of a route, Avoid roadblock.

Unfortunately, we do not have any timeline at this point but I will keep you posted here as we near the release date.

Regards,
    lampard

@ lampard

does this also include:

bugfixes including the most dangerous: the lag which must cause serious accidents

and iphone X support? how long is this phone on the market ?
  • Ainsley001Ainsley001 Posts: 35 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Well, any progress is good news I suppose, but forgive us being cynical given the length of time this is taking and, as babybox says, unless it addresses some of the other issues, just adding features won't be enough.
  • PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 333 [Supreme Pioneer]
    lampard wrote:
    Hi All,

Regards,
    lampard

Hi lampard,

would you please explain why development of iOS has been so slow and evidence of improvement has been non-existent for the last few months?

22 months ago today, I signed up for 3 free years subscription to iOS GO Mobile, I have only 14 months left. Based on current rate of development then TomTom iOS GO Mobile will still feel like a beta release after 3 whole years on 14/03/2019 (14 March 2019). This will only change if TomTom actually spends a serious amount of money on resources but I'm not sure that that will happen. Will TomTom extend the free subscription of iOS GO Mobile when it becomes a useful SatNav app?

The lack of development is annoying but the lack of communication is insulting to your customers.

Regards,
    babybox wrote:
    Obviously the TomTom Go app is slowly killed. They are making more money with deals with carmakers and with Fleet-management. And they are working with projects on autonomous driving. This Tomtom Go isn't giving them enough money.

If TomTom can't develop a SatNav app like iOS GO Mobile then why are they working on something as complex and dangerous as autonomous driving?

Regards,
    Don’t hold your breath waiting for any responses from TomTom, Maybe in a few months time if we’re lucky
  • yehoudinyehoudin Posts: 352 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Alster53 wrote:
    I think the lack of response answers the question!!!!! I’ve moved to another app..
    I am on search of alternatives as well. Which one did you choose?
  • yehoudinyehoudin Posts: 352 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    lampard wrote:
    Hi All,

Regards,

:joy::joy::joy:
    btw, thats what your german colleagues wrote in March 2016 as well....
    I’ve moved on as well. I had 24 app updates showing on my phone today. I thought one of them has got to be tomtom. Nope. They must have the mostly useless lazy developers around. Still probably wouldn’t come back now anyway, mucked us around too long
    Sygic all the way. Far better, a few downsides but not many. I know this post will be removed as we are not allowed to mention competitors that actually do develop their apps ????
  • Alster53Alster53 Posts: 24 [Master Explorer]
    To be honest I’ve tryed gmaps, sygic, herewego & navigon over the last few weeks and I’ve come back to tomtom go!! For me it still has the best routes. Traffic is spot on and the maps are clear & easy to follow. So despite its problems I’m sticking with it!! Al
    Alster53 wrote:
    To be honest I’ve tryed gmaps, sygic, herewego & navigon over the last few weeks and I’ve come back to tomtom go!! For me it still has the best routes. Traffic is spot on and the maps are clear & easy to follow. So despite its problems I’m sticking with it!! Al
    I agree that the Traffic is good (as I mentioned in the beginning of this thread) and the routing is OK but everything else is so awful.

I really do not understand why TomTom spent the money that they did in developing iOS GO Mobile, running this forum and then completely ignoring the free feedback, requests, and suggestions from those of us who have been effectively beta testers of iOS GO Mobile for the last two years.

Surely any company wants to retain and keep its customer base and TomTom could AND should easily have done that by using the feedback here to create a premium SatNav app. Unfortunately this hasn't happened and some of us unhappy with iOS GO Mobile have made our views known in many other SatNav forums whilst others would have quietly dropped iOS GO Mobile and moved to another SatNav make. Well done TomTom for driving your customers to a competitor!

For 14 years, TomTom have sold a lot of products due to my recommendations, but I no longer insult my friends and family by mentioning TomTom because how can I recommend any product that looks like iOS GO Mobile?

Regards,
  • FeekFeek Posts: 37 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    GO is still utter garbage. I tried it again at the weekend and it's still the utter lagfest that it's always been.

One thing that has always amazed me is that TomTom haven't provided a method of exporting/importing favourites from the old app to the new one. My old one is full and I have no method of transferring them to GO so they're effectively useless if I have to move.