Runner 2 battery life expectancy with increased cycle discharge since firmware 1.7.53

Cheeky Chappers
Cheeky Chappers Registered Users Posts: 4
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Background:
Since I updated the firmware to 1.7.53 a while back my Runner 2 Cardio has been practically unusable as a day-to-day device, even with everything set to zero and left overnight in a drawer it shows the battery approximately 75% or so depleted by morning.

As a result I have acquired a Touch Cardio + body composition for day-to-day activities and just use the watch for runs...which although I think is unacceptable (considering I bought the Runner 2 Cardio because it claimed day-to-day activity recording), it is for now the only solution I have other than charging the watch twice on a running day.

Do I have to keep going through the farce of charging the Runner 2 Cardio EVERY DAY, whether I use it or not, or is it safe to let it discharge and just charge on my run days (I currently run every other day)?

Aside from the inconvenience of continually charging the Runner 2 Cardio, I am fully aware that all rechargeable batteries have two basic issues:

1) a limited charge/discharge cycle rate, the more often one part-charges a battery and recharges, the less time the battery will be serviceable.

2) an issue if taken to fully discharged state too often.

I had been very happy with the Runner 2 Cardio, but the battery life is now horrendous, and since also obtaining a Touch Cardio with its five days activity tracking, the Runner series watches are not something I would recommend anyone buy until Tomtom sort out the battery life...which WAS acceptable before!

The question:

Which is best practice for prolonging the serviceable life of the Runner 2 Cardio: 1) discharge completely, and then charge only on running days; or 2) keep charging it every day until the firmware gets sorted?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    I keep my plugged in in between uses (every day or other day) and have had no battery issues. Have you tried a factory reset, which may solve the problem? A faulty firmware install may be keeping a sensor on behind the scenes. I would also suggest calling Customer Support as it would be covered under warranty (if you are still in your warranty period).

To do a factory reset, make sure the Connect software is running and dock the device to your computer. The Connect window will open; press the gear at the top right and select factory reset from the next screen. Follow the steps provided and when prompted to register or sign in to MySports, select sign in and use your existing account credentials. It is fairly straightforward and should take less than 5 minutes.

To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact at the bottom, select the service required and the product name and click Contact Customer Care and then Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Cheeky Chappers
    Cheeky Chappers Registered Users Posts: 4
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi, tfarabaugh,

Thanks for your reply.

I have lost count how many factory resets I have done, nothing changes.

I was wearing the Runner 2 24/7, mostly with all the tracking and HRM on, and used to recharge it maybe every three to five days or so depending on how many sport/GPS activities I undertook.

After update 1.7.53 the watch may last perhaps a day with NO tracking on whatsoever, it is crazy, I do not think it is the watch, I had no issue until the update...and unfortunately it is out of warranty now anyway...but giving how bad things went I can't see me buying another one, well, not Tomtom anyway :-(

I have been reading the forum for over a month or so and keep seeing comments that Tomtom seem to think there is an issue with some watches and 1.7.53, and are working on a fix update, but the time taken is crazy, as I have said above, I now use a TT Touch for 24/7 monitoring and put the watch on charge a couple of hours before a run, but it is ruddy annoying if I forget to put it on charge in the morning and it has depleted overnight!

Having the TT Touch has actually mad me even madder about the Runner 2, the Touch has a tracking battery life that beats the Runner 2 hands down, and so proves to me that Tomtom can make an activity tracker that is worth having...

If they could put the Touch's activity tracking into a Runner 2, then just add a GPS when needed I'd be happy, it is infuriating to see a so-called sports activity tracking watch that can't last a day WITHOUT GPS or tracking...I mean, it is sold as having a 24/7 tracking ability, but the battery WITHOUT tracking or GPS is currently barely lasting the 24 hours.

OK, it is out of warranty, but is this supposed to be a product that only lasts 12 months?

Darn it is annoying, I have spent much of the last year praising the watch too...

Anyway, rant over...

Thanks for your input!
  • DaftnDirect
    DaftnDirect Registered Users Posts: 6
    Master Explorer
    I have the same problem after 1.7.53 on a Runner 2.
    I had recently asked in a similar thread if there was an ETA for a fix as the problem is still there after firmware update 1.7.62
    Unfortunately I see my post was deleted and that thread closed so I'll ask the same question here.

thanks
  • DaftnDirect
    Master Explorer
    Update to above: TomTom have reset my watch to 1.3.255 and this has not solved the problem. Battery life of my Runner 2 is still approx. 24 hrs without activity or sensor use.

It seems from the forum that this 1.3.255 reset has not worked for any of those people who have reported carrying out this reset.

So my question is, is my watch permanently damaged by the 1.7.53 firmware update? and if so, what are my options as the watch is out of warranty but was working perfectly before that update?

TomTom have been working on a fix for 3 months but are providing users temporary fixes that don't work. Is this a sign that there is no fix?
  • BB_7477
    BB_7477 Registered Users Posts: 4
    Master Traveler
    I have Runner3, and have exactly the same battery problem.
  • Anette J.T
    Anette J.T Registered Users Posts: 22
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    I also have battery problem with my Runner 2 since the two latest updates.
    But I think worse..
    It does show that I have 50% battery left, but after running 20 min, the clock dies.
    And some days it is warning me for low battery when I try to start an activity, but after going back to clock screen again it shows that I have a lot of battery left.

When will it be a fix for battery problem?
    I have been waiting for 4 months now, you should really priority this more then you do!
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    Anette J.T wrote:
    I also have battery problem with my Runner 2 since the two latest updates.
    But I think worse..
    It does show that I have 50% battery left, but after running 20 min, the clock dies.
    And some days it is warning me for low battery when I try to start an activity, but after going back to clock screen again it shows that I have a lot of battery left.

When will it be a fix for battery problem?
    I have been waiting for 4 months now, you should really priority this more then you do!
    TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see. Considering it has been 4+ months since the bad updates, they have left the wearables market and laid off the Sports staff, it may never get resolved.
  • DaftnDirect
    Master Explorer
    Second update. I strongly urge anyone with the battery issue, who's watch is still within warranty (2 years within the UK/EU), to contact support and arrange a repair/replacement. DO NOT wait for a firmware fix if your warranty is almost up.

I wrongly assumed my warranty was 1 year but checked, contacted support and have had my watch serviced. It has now been returned (approx. 6 day turn-around) but they haven't included the charge cable I sent so am awaiting a replacement cable which is in the post. I'll then confirm if the repair has worked and what firmware the watch is running.
  • DaftnDirect
    Master Explorer
    Final Update. OK the watch's battery performance is back to normal.

Within the return documentation, TomTom confirmed that the fault existed and stated that they 'repaired the unit, reprogrammed to factory specifics, installed the latest functioning software release and reimaged all software'

The firmware they installed was 1.3.255, so that's what I'm sticking with. Once again, a simple factory reset carried out at home to 1.3.255 did not cure the fault, the same is true for others who have tried so TomTom, including moderators and experienced forum users should be recommending support be contacted immediately if a firmware reset to 1.3.255 did not work, and arrange repair or replacement. Wasting time whilst warranties expire is poor support. If this had been out of warranty (which it nearly was for me), the charge would have been €95.

Having said that, I'm grateful for the reasonably quick turn-around time. I'd recommend, if returning your watch, that you ask not to include the charge cable. Mine was not returned and a new one had to be sent which delayed the process by over a week, surely TomTom's repair department have a cable they can use!

Anyway, good luck!