Faulty heart rate?

kennethdud
kennethdud Registered Users Posts: 2
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Bought my Tom Tom Runner 3 cardio watch 1 week ago (heart rate on the wrist). The watch is working nice, but my heart rate feels faulty. I do cardio workouts and the highest my heart rate gets is like 155 Bpm (and it almost feels like I wanna fall over). I asked my friend to wear my watch while he measured his heart rate with his Garmin watch. When his watch showed 120 bpm, mine only showed 100 Bpm on his wrist? Every time my watch indicated +- 20BPM wrong compared to his. Is this normal or do I have a faulty watch?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,938
    Superuser
    Was he wearing both watches on the same wrist? If so, that will cause the issues you are seeing as the watches will interfere with one another. Even on different wrists it may not be accurate as people can have different pulses on each wrist. Are you taking a manual measurement at the same time (counting your pulse at the neck) and determining the actual pulse? How do you know his is right and yours is wrong? What kind of exercise are you doing? If it is anything that involves wrist tension (pull ups, push ups, etc.) the pressure on the wrist is cutting off blood supply and lowering your pulse reading at the wrist. If it is high intensity with a lot of arm movement and the watch is not situated properly (1" above the wrist and fairly tight) it may also get a poor reading due to excess movement.

If you are concerned, call Customer Support and talk to them about it and they may swap out the device. To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact at the bottom, select the service required and the product name and click Contact Customer Care and then Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • kennethdud
    kennethdud Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi, he has a garmin fenix 3 and that watch has a chest strap. So he was wearing his chest strap and watch in hand and my watch on his arm. I went for a jog and picked up that my heart rate is low and then did cardio workouts like sprinting and squads etc when I picked up heart rate is low. Just don't want to replace watch if there isn't a real problem. So you recomend working out the pulse manually to compare which is right?
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,938
    Superuser
    Definitely, as you will get different results from a chest strap versus a wrist based sensor, particularly if you are not warmed up (wrist based can take longer to ramp up at times). Put your watch on, warm up a bit and do a manual count at your neck (count for 10 seconds and multiple by 6). I do this regularly during workouts to spot check the readings, particularly if they seem low. It should be within a few beats.