TomTom software's on Chromebook — TomTom Community

TomTom software's on Chromebook

robcprobcp Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in Travel lounge
hi i only have a chromebook how is it possible to download tomtom on it please

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,526
    Superusers
    What program? The Sports Connect software for the sports watches will not work on a Chromebook, it requires a full Windows or Mac OS. Not sure about the navigation programs, but I would assume they are the same.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • PBRunnerPBRunner Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    This seems quite short sighted from TomTom they seem to be drastically behind the times. It's bad enough the TomTom Runner 3 cant sync with music platforms people actually use but only supporting Windows and Mac OS isn't sustainable. Linux is not a new platform it has existed for over 25 years. Granted they cant be expected to make their software available for every platform but Ubuntu is very well established and Chrome OS certainly isn't going anywhere.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,526
    Superusers
    There is a Linux version of the software. Chrome is not a computer OS it is a mobile operating system and does not support the drivers necessary to run the software. There are numerous major programs that will not run on Chrome, so TT is not in any way out of the ordinary. Chromebooks are still a very miniscule portion of the market (3.6% in 2016) and are focused primarily in education (they are given out for free to students in many schools in the US) so there is virtually no overlap with TT's market and no particular incentive to develop an app for it. And since TT has left the wearables market they really have no incentive to pursue this, they are not producing new watches, just selling out the stock they have and then it will be legacy support, I do not see them throwing any money after a market they have given up on.
    Chrome OS is not a mobile operating system. It's a striped down desktop OS running on Linux kernel that utilizes web based applications for 90% of its applications.
  • RaddersredRaddersred Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I agree with others, TomTom should build a version for Chromebook. It does not matter that Chromebook is not a full blown (overblown) OS. It doesn't phase other software suppliers/developers. I can do 99% of the things i need on my Chromebook. Sales of Chromebooks are rising rapidly as people leave behind the baggage of Windows 10. So come on TomTom let's have a Chrome version so I don't have to switch on my Windows PC and wait for the hundreds of Windows updates it throws at me each day before I can do any useful work on your app.
    Good luck @Raddersred, I don't think TomTom have any interest in a Chrome OS version or at least making the Android app more capable. I gave up and got a Samsung Gear Sport instead. It's not perfect but but I don't have plug it in to sync anything.
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 666
    Superuser
    If you have a spare Windows license (and a beefy Intel-based Chromebook), I believe you can install TomTom Home on Windows in VirtualBox, which has been installed on Ubuntu alongside the Chrome OS.

Not had personal experience of this, but Google is your friend.
  • PKazimirPKazimir Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Agree with the comments here. I have just bought a Chromebook and I am very disappointed that Tomtom does not support them.
    After checking on the Internet, I see that Suunto and Garmin apps are supported. I know what to choose when I need to change watch.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0