SLEEP TRACKER & MUSIC to the Spark Watch

FARMMAN
FARMMAN Registered Users Posts: 10
Master Explorer
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I just want to know why my sleep tracker doesn't track my sleep every night even though the sleep function is on and the watch is on my wrist. Explain this? It only tracks my sleep every now and then like every second or third night. On the days it doesn't track my sleep, the watch says I have slept for 0 hours and 0 minutes in the morning when I wake up after a 7 or 8 hour sleep. Why is this? How does one fix this problem?

The other question I have is that I am unable to scan for playlists on the Tom Tom Sports Connect to add music to my watch when I connect my watch to the computer even though I have some playlists in the Windows Media Player and on ITunes. There is no option to scan for playlists in the Tom Tom Sports Connect. I want to add music to my watch. How do I do this?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,932
    Superuser
    Do you have a Music version of the watch? Go to About and see if it says Music at the top of the screen. The MySports Connect application talks to Windows Media Player and iTunes (if they are installed) to query the playlists you have created (you cannot upload individual files; they need to be organized into playlists). These playlists are then listed when you connect your watch. To make it easier to load them, give the playlists distinctive names like "My Spark Playlist" or something similar so they are easier to find. You then use MySports Connect to copy the playlists you want to the watch. In iTunes & WMP you need to create playlists (the watch only plays playlists, not individual files as there is no folder system on the watch). Once you have the playlists created, dock the watch and hit the music note button on the Connect interface, which will take you to the Music screen where it will list all playlists on the computer. When you see the one you want to load, click on it to add it to the watch. Make sure the tracks are in the right format. If tracks are not in an acceptable format they will not play, nor will the playlists they are in.

MP3:
    Sample rate: 16KHz to 48KHz
    Bit rate: 8 kbps to 320 kbps
    Mono/stereo channels and joint stereo.
    Artist, track title and length are displayed for the following languages: English, Czech, Danish, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Finnish and Swedish. Other languages may display correctly if the only used characters available in a supported language.

AAC:
    MPEG2 and MPEG4 AAC-LC and HE-AACv2 are supported.
    Sample rate: up to 48KHz
    Bit rate: up to 320 kbps
    Mono/stereo/dual mono are supported.
    Artist, track title and length for AAC is not supported.

The watch does not support files with DRM of any type. This includes offline tracks from Apple Music and Spotify. MySports Connect will not count any DRM tracks as part of a playlist, so if all the tracks in a playlist are DRM then the playlist will not be shown at all.

You can also go to the watch in a file explorer window (the watch will be mounted as a drive) and create a folder in the Music folder and move the tracks into that folder. The software will then automatically create a playlist with all the tracks in the folder named after the folder.

If you are not using Windows Media Player or iTunes then you need to create an .m3u or .m3u8 playlist file (various music programs do this) and then set the Playlist Root Folder. Press the Gear icon in MySports Connect and then scroll down to Advanced Settings and set the location here. The playlist root folder is searched (and sub-directories) for any .m3u/.m3u8 playlist files and those will be listed (along with any Windows Media Player/iTunes playlists) by MySports Connect when you connect your watch. This only needs to be done if you are not using WMP or iTunes; otherwise they search the default locations. The playlists need to be on a physical drive on your machine, it will not find cloud drives.

If using iTunes, check that iTunes is set to share libraries. You need to click the dropdown at the very top left and select Preferences. On the Advanced tab, make sure there is a check next to "Share iTunes Library XML with other applications".

Is it not showing any sleep on the watch or are the progress charts blank when you go to MySports? if it is MySports, try clearing the cache and restarting the browser or viewing it in a different browser. I had an issue where it was not showing on Edge (the chart was all blank) but was showing on Chrome. I cleared the Edge cache and it started showing me the data. If it is truly not recording it (the watch always shows zero when you press left and up when you wake up), it could be an issue with the watch or a smaller possibility it is a function of how you sleep. All the watch is using to detect sleep is movement; when you stop moving for some specified period of time (likely around 30 minutes) it assumes you are asleep and assumes you are awake when it gets a sustained period of movement. If 25 minutes into the 30 minute detection period you suddenly move a bit it is going to start over the 30 minute evaluation period again. So if you are a fairly restless sleeper and move around a lot there is a chance that it will not be able to accurately detect your sleep patterns.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • FARMMAN
    Master Explorer
    Thanks, except everything must be in MP3 format otherwise sports connect does not pick up the files and you cannot put the music on the watch. My iTunes transfer never worked because it is DRM protected.
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    FARMMAN wrote:
    Thanks, except everything must be in MP3 format otherwise sports connect does not pick up the files and you cannot put the music on the watch. My iTunes transfer never worked because it is DRM protected.

You can have non-MP3 files (AAC works) but as I stated above, it must not be DRM protected. I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • FARMMAN
    Master Explorer
    With the Tom Tom Runner 3 when I am in the cycling mode to cycle, is the tracker also supposed to track the daily activities like distance etc. because my one doesn’t? It only tracks if you are in the running mode or doing daily activities. I haven’t tried the other modes like swimming etc.
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    It will not track the distance of cycling, since it gets distance off steps and you are not gaining any steps like you are with running. I am not sure about swimming but I would assume not as there are no steps to count.
  • skoteroverall
    skoteroverall Registered Users Posts: 19
    Apprentice Traveler
    I have 1.7.60 Spark Cardio Music and every other morning I get the following scenario:
    * I glance at sleep and it says about 8 hours
    * I then sync watch with phone
    * After the sync the watch says 0 hours of sleep and also the phone and webpage. The sleep is lost.
  • FARMMAN
    Master Explorer
    I have a Tom Tom Runner 3 and I thought the tracker only tracks distance in steps when one is moving, but my watch tracks distance etc when I am stationary driving in a vehicle. Why is this?
  • FARMMAN
    Master Explorer
    I am rephrasing my question that I asked earlier. I wear my Tom Tom Runner 3 all the time. It seems the tracker on my watch tracks the distance, time, steps etc while I am driving over and above the other daily activities. Why is this? For example, I did a run this morning of 13 kms that the tracker tracked 13 kms which is correct. I then drove 260kms and after this my watch was reading 15.25km just from sitting in the car and doing no exercise. I would have thought the distance should still have been on 13km and not 15.25km. So the watch is saying I did 2.25km while driving in the car! How is this possible? Can anyone explain this or is this a technical error? I have reset my watch before and everything is updated.
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    FARMMAN wrote:
    I am rephrasing my question that I asked earlier. I wear my Tom Tom Runner 3 all the time. It seems the tracker on my watch tracks the distance, time, steps etc while I am driving over and above the other daily activities. Why is this? For example, I did a run this morning of 13 kms that the tracker tracked 13 kms which is correct. I then drove 260kms and after this my watch was reading 15.25km just from sitting in the car and doing no exercise. I would have thought the distance should still have been on 13km and not 15.25km. So the watch is saying I did 2.25km while driving in the car! How is this possible? Can anyone explain this or is this a technical error? I have reset my watch before and everything is updated.

The activity tracker is detecting steps based on movement and incidental movement of your arm will be enough to trigger steps. It is not an exact science, it is meant to be directional guidance. For every extra step it picks up from brushing your teeth, or moving your arms while talking or driving, it is missing steps when you are walking pushing a cart or walking with your hands in your pockets. Again, it is meant to give you a directional view if you are active enough, not an exact count. I personally find it directionally accurate, in that during a day I am fairly active it is picking up more steps than on sedentary days. If it is off by a few hundred or a thousand steps I am not concerned, if I am several thousand short it means I need to get up and move around more.
  • FARMMAN
    Master Explorer
    Thank you, I do understand the principle now of the tracker. I had the impression before it only measures distance etc if one is personally active like running or walking and physically taking steps. Is it true then to say the tracker doesn’t entirely measure fitness, because you can say for example, get a truck driver who isn’t doing any exercise and is unfit, but driving all day, everyday and talking and moving his hands and the tracker will then track all these movements?
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    FARMMAN wrote:
    Thank you, I do understand the principle now of the tracker. I had the impression before it only measures distance etc if one is personally active like running or walking and physically taking steps. Is it true then to say the tracker doesn’t entirely measure fitness, because you can say for example, get a truck driver who isn’t doing any exercise and is unfit, but driving all day, everyday and talking and moving his hands and the tracker will then track all these movements?

There should be a minimum of extraneous steps from arm movement as it is looking for a step-like movement, but there will always be some. It is not an exact science. It is meant to promote overall fitness by encouraging more movement. It is not a scientific instrument making exact counts, it is showing you overall trends.
  • FARMMAN
    Master Explorer
    I have the Tom Tom Runner 3 that is only 2 weeks old. This morning when I woke up I saw that the sleep tracker did not monitor my sleep as everything shows zero. This is the second time my watch is doing this and I did reset my watch a couple of days after purchase when it did it the first time. I also noticed last week when I slept for about an hour in the afternoon the sleep tracker didn’t detect that hour that I slept. I am wearing the watch correctly. I had another Tom Tom Runner 3 that was also new that did the same thing.
    Is this a fault or can an expert tell me why this is happening?