Feature Request - Custom Activities — TomTom Community

Feature Request - Custom Activities

MaldwynnzMaldwynnz Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Adventurer
It would be great if we can create our own activities and select what we want it to monitor, for example I kayak so would like it to track my GPS and Heart Rate etc. Possibly this can just be a update for later that says WaterSports so it can include SUP and other water sports.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,526
    Superusers
    It does not appear they are adding any more sports modes, that is what they added Freestyle and gym modes for. Freestyle is for any GPS enabled non-core activities and Gym for non-GPS enabled activities. If they start adding sports modes then you may want SUP and I may want football and someone else may want equestrian sports, this is why then went with the generic Freestyle. The existing sports also tie into the lifetime totals on MySports. If they add more sports modes they would also need to redesign all of MySports to capture them. You should try using Freestyle it gets you distance based on GPS and calories based on HR so it will be the most accurate (cycling and running use METs for calories and ignore HR).

Unfortunately, this is likely not going to happen anyway for several reasons. First, there needs to be enough demand to justify the resources so there needs to be a large enough percentage of users that would use that feature to make it worth the investment of time for TT to program it. Second, there needs to be underlying data available for it. Calories for each activity are calculated based on METs tables so if there are no METs tables for an activity they cannot add it or else they have no way to calculate calories (they do not default it to HR as not everyone has an HR device). The final and most important factor is that TT has left the wearables industry and is no longer producing new devices, so I would not expect much beyond bug fixes go forward as they devices are now legacy products. They will likely support what they have but not add anything new. Essentially the devices are what they are at this point and we are going to have to live with them as the are.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • lansinglansing Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    going further on your answer, I think it is strange that they find snowboarding or running on a tredmill interesting enough to have it's own category. But Stand Up Paddle, kitesurfing, surfing, paddling not? Right now if I go kitesurfing, I put it on freestyle... but as you might know doing freestyle kite is working on your abs, legs etc though you get less accurate info like calorie burning etc then when you go running ..
    Superusers
    lansing wrote:
    going further on your answer, I think it is strange that they find snowboarding or running on a tredmill interesting enough to have it's own category. But Stand Up Paddle, kitesurfing, surfing, paddling not? Right now if I go kitesurfing, I put it on freestyle... but as you might know doing freestyle kite is working on your abs, legs etc though you get less accurate info like calorie burning etc then when you go running ..

It is not a matter of how interesting an activity is, it is how many people participate in the activity and far more run on treadmills or snowboard than do SUP or kite surfing. The watch is targeted to casual athletes and is really a running watch with a few other modes thrown on and the selection reflects that. swimming and other water sports is actually the least used activity on the watch by far.
  • lansinglansing Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    maybe because it is not promoted this way. In a way it's a loss, a new target group is waiting; surfing, kitesurfing, windsurfing, stand up paddle.. damn! that's a big group you could have!
    Superusers
    lansing wrote:
    maybe because it is not promoted this way. In a way it's a loss, a new target group is waiting; surfing, kitesurfing, windsurfing, stand up paddle.. damn! that's a big group you could have!

As big a group as runners or cyclists? If you look at participation statistics it is an immaterial piece of the market. And the sheer numbers do not matter, it is the overlap that matters. How many of those users want to use a sports watch? Of that sub-segment, how many want a TomTom when Garmin and others already cover this?

It does not matter anyway. As I said before, TT has left the wearables market and is no longer making devices, so why would they go after a new tiny sub-market when they are leaving the market in general?
  • MacapakaMacapaka Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    It's 249.99euro for a Woo tracker, why walk away from that market?
    Superusers
    Macapaka wrote:
    It's 249.99euro for a Woo tracker, why walk away from that market?
    They walked away from wearables altogether. they announced they left the market and are no longer producing new devices several months ago, with likely limited support of the current lineup go forward (bug fixes but no other changes or improvements).