GO 6200 no voice on directions

Vicozzy
Vicozzy Registered Users Posts: 2
Apprentice Traveler
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
Keeps losing voice have to turn off and on to get voice back last a day or so then goes again

Comments

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,800
    Superuser
    Hi
    Have you tried a Drum roll restart on the device ????

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965//session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI2NjM0NDUyL3NpZC9EQTdTVHpobQ

Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles......

ATB YFM
  • Vicozzy
    Vicozzy Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thank you will try
  • MrTD
    MrTD Registered Users Posts: 69
    Prominent Wayfarer
    I have experienced the same problem, yes doing a drum roll reset does get voice back, but what a pain that is when your in the middle of a planned route through a busy city.
    And it has nothing to do with power as my device is always fully charged and on constant charge when in use.

A link to a page that says this
    "In rare cases, your navigation device may not start correctly or may stop responding. If this happens, try resetting your device. The only information lost on your device is the clock's time zone setting. You can find instructions for how to set the clock in the user manual for your device."

It Is not a solution the problem is the device software is buggy as always when Tom Tom release a new model

Instead of using the customer as a tester TomTom should get there devices fit gor use before selling them
  • basmeyer
    basmeyer Registered Users Posts: 24
    Master Traveler
    I have the exact same issue for many months now, so this bug is going back to a few software versions already.

I have the feeling I am drum rolling ALL THE TIME. And yes, like the others said, the voices usually fail when it should not.

When going on a important trip on a tour (I use this device, so a 6200, professionally on tours for live performances all over Europe) I sometimes pre-drumroll it just to make sure the memory and the variables are not mucked up.

This is ridiculous! It is more then about time to get this fixed!!

And if you are busy with it, implement an option to let it tell not to keep left when it is just straight on and more than obvious to keep going straight on. That is VERY ANNOYING now and then. I sometimes find myself to take an exit because of it.

Third related sound wish: a setting to moderate the flash camera warnings. The sound is way to loud compared to the voice. I hear even hear the speaker produce it with distortion.

Looking forward to hear (!) about the improvements of this all.
    Thanks.
  • Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,114
    Superuser
    @MrTD @basmeyer

Are you using a USB port in your vehicle?
    As the USB ports in your vehicle provides only 0.5Amps whereas your device should have 1.2Amps to run AND charge the battery. With a vehicle USB port the reduced power means that the device tries to save it's power requirements by dimming the screen, reducing power to the SIM thus dropping traffic info.
    Try plugging the original cable into the original cigarette lighter charger, does it then keep dimming?
  • basmeyer
    basmeyer Registered Users Posts: 24
    Master Traveler
    Hi Naill,
    Thank you for trying to help. Although I have a strong impression that this answer is not applicable to the question and is put here by mistake.
    This is not about the screen being dimmed.

Nevertheless, I am using the original car charger. I am also using a 2.1A combi charger in another car. The problem appears in both cars.

Besides this and perhaps merely applicable to the other forum thread, I am surprised that the device does not incorporate a system that reports the user about the current being too low for basic functioning, besides the dimming of the screen.
  • MrTD
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Niall wrote:
    @MrTD @basmeyer

Are you using a USB port in your vehicle?
    As the USB ports in your vehicle provides only 0.5Amps whereas your device should have 1.2Amps to run AND charge the battery. With a vehicle USB port the reduced power means that the device tries to save it's power requirements by dimming the screen, reducing power to the SIM thus dropping traffic info.
    Try plugging the original cable into the original cigarette lighter charger, does it then keep dimming?
    @Niall
    You clearly did not read my post.
    My device is always fully powered yes I check battery full.
    It is connected 1.2 Amp connection while in use.
    My power is not dropping I do not experience dimming of the screen ( A power saving function built in the device)
    I do not suffer traffic info dropping.
    My problem is like others say I loose my voice guidance part way through a journey for no reason.
    And in order to get it back I have to do a drum roll reset.
    Turning voice off and on does not restore it
    Turning volume up and down does not restore it.
    Making sure the device is fully charged does not prevent it.

The only solution is drum roll reset so that points to software error.
  • dhn
    dhn Posts: 33,382
    Superuser
    Log the issue with support please:

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • MrTD
    Prominent Wayfarer
    dhn wrote:
    Log the issue with support please:

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

already have done by email waiting for a reply
  • MrTD
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Here is the great reply from Customer support.
    I could of read this in the manual do they think there customers are thick4Do they have an answer to this problem I don,t think so

Please be assured that I will put my best efforts to assist you.

As we are looking further to get this issue resolved, I would request you to please make sure that you have set the volume of the device to maximum.

On the map or guidance view, select the Main Menu button to open the Main Menu.

Select and slide the volume control to change the volume of voice instructions and warnings. If the voice instructions are switched off, the volume control will still change the volume of the warnings.

39f3a931aa5cff62d9574c85a73a5b89
    In case the issue persists, I would request you to please follow steps mentioned below which will reset your device and will assist you to pair your phone to GO 6200 device for Handsfree calling. Step 1 : Reset your device. Note: This removes all personal settings including MyPlaces.
    1. Select the Main Menu button 949d4aa25bbb19fed0d67b4fa0e0ec3f in Map View or Guidance View to show the Main Menu.
    2. Scroll to the right of the screen and select the Settings d25356f1f3a90824c5bfe280ce35522b button.
    3. Scroll to the right of this menu and select System.
    4. In the System menu, select Reset.
    5. Select Reset again to confirm.
    6. A warning screen appears to confirm the deletion of your saved places and settings. Select Reset to confirm.
    Step 2 : Pair your phone with the device. Follow steps mentioned in the below link. Connecting your phone for data, hands-free calls, and smartphone messages I hope the above provided information will get the issue resolved for you.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. I will be more than happy to assist you again.
  • big
    big Posts: 1,712
    Superuser
    This may be related to the problem of losing advanced lane guidance and 3D buildings when the device is "stressed". I have also noticed voices and traffic disappearing when in that state. (Starts with ALG failing and gets progressively worse.)

Since TomTom has announced they've identified the ALG problem I'm hopeful the root cause is the same and fixing the ALG problem will fix these other issues too.
  • MrTD
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Update from Customer service

This is Nikhilesh again from TomTom Customer Care Team following up with you. Thank you for your response.

I have now discussed this issue with our 2nd line technical team and we do have same issue reported by some other customers as well. Based on this we have created a ticket to be investigated on this and forwarded it to the developers.

Our developers are actively looking into this issue impacting some owners of some new generation TomTom devices. I regret that at this time they have not determined the underlying cause and cannot therefore give me any reference point on when they will have the issue fixed.

We continue to investigate the issue and look forward to pushing an application update to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

For your convenience, I am keeping this case with me and will revert back to you as soon as we have any update from the Technical team.

In the interim please accept my sincere apologies for any and all frustrations incurred.
  • MrTD
    Prominent Wayfarer
    big wrote:
    This may be related to the problem of losing advanced lane guidance and 3D buildings when the device is "stressed". I have also noticed voices and traffic disappearing when in that state. (Starts with ALG failing and gets progressively worse.)

Since TomTom has announced they've identified the ALG problem I'm hopeful the root cause is the same and fixing the ALG problem will fix these other issues too.
    Looking at the reply I have received this is not related and they do not have a solution yet
  • big
    Superuser
    @MrTD It may indeed not be related -- I just surmise but do not know -- but I would be very surprised if anyone in support actually KNEW if it was related. It's difficult enough to get them to admit a problem we all know about here even exists.
  • MrTD
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Well after multiple messages to support this still has not been resolved, I have requested a refund for my device and here is my reply.
    Do not forget that I reported to tom tom my device was not working correct within 14 days of purchasing it.
    So they have kept me waiting for them to work on it and now I have to keep the faulty device
    It is disgusting you pay £300 for a device that does not work as advertised and you have no warranty.

Reply from tomtom
    If you are looking for full refund of the device and accessories, I would suggest you to contact the point of sale. If the device is purchased directly from TomTom then, I would like to inform you that we can only process refund within 14 days of delivery (30 days in Exceptions cases). But, it's been more than 30 days and we cannot process refund.
    May I apologies again for the inconvenience caused.
    I look forward to hearing from you.
  • MrTD
    Prominent Wayfarer
    big wrote:
    @MrTD It may indeed not be related -- I just surmise but do not know -- but I would be very surprised if anyone in support actually KNEW if it was related. It's difficult enough to get them to admit a problem we all know about here even exists.
    @big
    They do not like to admit anything, and I have noticed all the replies they send me seem to be generic like taken from a script that they all use ( Copy Paste answers ).
    They do not admit any problems with devices they always try to make it out to be the fault of the customer, not setting device up correct.
    Apparently when you buy direct from tomtom you have no consumer rights after 14 days.
    No right to a repair
    No right to a replacement
    No right to a refund

The problem is you report a fault they get back to you saying they are looking into it then say a fix should come in the next update when it does not get a fix you have passed your 14 days and your device is not working as it should.
    I have been a long standing tomtom customer, must of had at least 7 devices from them and always there so called flag ship top of the range and they treat you like an idiot
    Worst customer service I have ever experienced
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,800
    Superuser
    Hi
    Reply from tomtom
    If you are looking for full refund of the device and accessories, I would suggest you to
    contact the point of sale. If the device is purchased directly from TomTom then, I would like to inform you that we can only process refund within 14 days of delivery (30 days in Exceptions cases). But, it's been more than 30 days and we cannot process refund.

MrTD wrote:
    Apparently when you buy direct from tomtom you have no consumer rights after 14 days.
    No right to a repair
    No right to a refund

Surely Tomtoms reply 14 days (30 days in Exceptions cases) only refers to a refund
    I have had Devices repaired FOC and Accessories replaced by Tomtom in the Warrantee period

ATB YFM
  • MrTD
    Prominent Wayfarer
    YamFazMan wrote:
    HiReply from tomtom
    If you are looking for full refund of the device and accessories, I would suggest you to
    contact the point of sale. If the device is purchased directly from TomTom then, I would like to inform you that we can only process refund within 14 days of delivery (30 days in Exceptions cases). But, it's been more than 30 days and we cannot process refund.

MrTD wrote:
    No right to a repair
    No right to a refund

Surely Tomtoms reply 14 days (30 days in Exceptions cases) only refers to only to a refund
    I have had Devices repaired FOC and Accessories replaced by Tomtom in the Warrantee period

ATB YFM
    @YamFazMan
    The point is I reported my device not working correct months ago and customer support did what they always do, replied to say they are looking into a fix.
    Well a fix did not come and I have been in contact several times regarding the problem with no help from customer support.
    So I got fed up and decided I want to return the item I purchased that is not fit for purpose.
    I had not been offered any option to send the device back for repair I also had not been offered a replacement device.
    After tomtom had kept me waiting for a fix for so long put my device out of the 14 day return policy they have and it also put me out of the 30 day policy they have.
    This was in no way my fault but theres, if they would of said send the device back when I first complained I would be with in there terms.
    If they would of told me when I first complained that they may not beable to fix this problem I would of sent my device back within 14 days for a full refund.

Tomtom must be the only company that can get away with selling devices that do not work as they are said to and then not have to replace or refund the item.

Other tech companies who fail to fix glitches with devices they sell get slated and end up doing recalls or free repairs

Any way after threatening tomtom with my consumer rights and that I was going to make a complaint to the consumer ombudsmen and also take it up with my card company
    And I explained under the consumer rights I have the right to repair replace of full refund.
    tomtom have acted very swiftly and are now offering me to send my device to them for repair.
    Only problem is they do not know what is causing the problem and there terms state they can replace my brand new device with a refurbished device should they not be able to repair it.

So basically I do have a right to repair but tomtom also still have the option to stuff me up even more
  • Kiwi Brian
    Kiwi Brian Registered Users Posts: 11
    Master Traveler
    Hi My voice control works on everything accept the most important. Go to an address. I gave up trying to get an answer from tom tom on how to fix it. There best advice is reset to the drum roll. They think you are stupid and would not try that. I would never buy any of there products again
  • MrTD
    Prominent Wayfarer
    OK so here is an update to this problem.

Finally managed to get tomtom to honour my warranty after all my device was only 3 month old when I first reported the problem.
    Tomtom sent me a repairs return slip and of my device went to Romania for checking on the 04.06.2018 and returned today 13.06.2018.
    Communication with tomtom very poor UPS tracking stated delivered to there warehouse tomtom tracking stated waiting for device it stayed this way for 3 days.
    Eventually it changed to received next bit of information I received was from UPS to say my delivery was going to arrive today.
    Nothing from tomtom no email no nothing.

So the device arrived note says
    Defect found: BAT - BATTERY OUT OF SPECIFICATIONS
    In order to solve this defect we repaired your unit, reprogrammed to factory specs, installed he latest fully functional software, reimaged all software content including maps.

The software version was out of date they sent it back with an older version than I sent it to them with.
    Had 2 maps installed both were out of date had to update them both

No mention if they had put a new battery in the device apart from in the list of retuned items.

1 x Prat Premium 616G GPRS BT HF WIFI ( ZA)
    1 x Label
    1 x Wtenergy_ Maxwell_ICP553450_1100 (5pin)

I guess the last in the list is a battery ? must be in the device as not in box seperate.
    And I take it Prat Premium is my device in some strange code they are using.

I had to send my receipt for the device in the box as proof of purchase ( Strange as purchased direct and shows in my tomtom account ) luckily I sent photo copy as some how they have managed to shread 3 big holes in the A4 sized paper ( My proof of purchase that tomtom demand when making repairs )

Any way only time will tell now if the repair has actually solved this and for all those trying to find your battery model for this device that number above may help.

One last thing to all those people who listen to the solution of
    Do a drum roll reset take note yes drum roll reset may cure the problem momentary but if you need to do this more than once get your device sent back to tom tom.

My case has proved without doubt there was a defect causing this problem,it was not just a case of resetting the device.
  • big
    Superuser
    MrTD wrote:
    My case has proved without doubt there was a defect causing this problem, it was not just a case of resetting the device.

Very unlikely the battery had anything to do with it -- I think you'll find the problem has not changed. Really pretty sure this is a software bug which many of us have experienced.
  • John_S
    John_S Registered Users Posts: 54
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    I have rang TT today with the same problem with lack of Voice Instructions and if I have any hassle, I will demand a refund. Well done MrTD for sticking with it.
  • MrTD
    Prominent Wayfarer
    big wrote:
    MrTD wrote:
    My case has proved without doubt there was a defect causing this problem, it was not just a case of resetting the device.
    Very unlikely the battery had anything to do with it -- I think you'll find the problem has not changed. Really pretty sure this is a software bug which many of us have experienced.
    So your saying tomtom tested my device and did not find a fault with the battery but decided they would put a new battery in the device and say that was the problem.
    Bug you keep referring to is not the problem I was experiencing, I had no problems with lane guidance and other things others have mentioned.
    And upto to now my previous problem has not recurred after the fix, also my sound is now louder which was also a complaint I had.
  • MrTD
    Prominent Wayfarer
    John_S wrote:
    I have rang TT today with the same problem with lack of Voice Instructions and if I have any hassle, I will demand a refund. Well done MrTD for sticking with it.
    I told them in the end they had 3 choices
    repair it
    replace it
    refund me
    If not I go to trading standards

They sent me email with free UPS postage to send device in for repair

Good luck dont sit back and listen to all the crap about drum roll reset, if you have to do that more than once then your device is not working right
  • big
    Superuser
    @MrTD I'm not saying they didn't find fault with the battery. I'm saying the battery fault has nothing to do with the problem you are experiencing.