TomTom announced your device "End of life" ?

Has your device has been declared "End of Life"?
Depending on where you purchased your device (due TomTom's extraordinary naming convention)
  • In Europe check here
  • In the Americas check here
  • In Australasia check here

If your device is on the list please answer the poll below

Comments

• NiallNiall Posts: 10,365 [Superuser]
    Are people having problems with this survey?
  • DryCreekDryCreek Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    I was informed that my model XXL 540 TM was going to become a paperweight only after I went to update it tonight. No communications beforehand.
  • crperk44crperk44 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Bought the 1 year update service 3 months ago, smile you have been screwed!
  • racefan15racefan15 Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    DryCreek wrote:
    I was informed that my model XXL 540 TM was going to become a paperweight only after I went to update it tonight. No communications beforehand.

Ditto...Same exact GPS. Just filed a BBB complaint. Will see what happens from there.

I encourage others to file with BBB Complaint too. If enough do, maybe TT will stop screwing us over.
  • racefan15racefan15 Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Niall wrote:
    Has your device has been declared "End of Life"?
    Depending on where you purchased your device (due TomTom's extraordinary naming convention) If your device is on the list please answer the poll below

And Id just like to add, that MY life is not over yet, nor is my DEVICES life over yet.... So canceling a feature you guaranteed at time of purchase is illegal. Please await your lawsuit!!!!
  • julnoljulnol Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Good Grief! I notice that your "survey" is dated One Month Ago!
    I received an email offer today.
    And your survey needs to ask if I received an email offering me a refund for the unusable portion of my subscription ( if I don't update a discount now then I am screwed)
    Not ethical.
  • weecosseweecosse Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    Since the suggested replacement device uses wi-fi to get traffic is it worthwhile to purchase the replacement or is it better just using one's cell phone to access a traffic service such as Waze or Google?
  • DryCreekDryCreek Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    weecosse wrote:
    Since the suggested replacement device uses wi-fi to get traffic is it worthwhile to purchase the replacement or is it better just using one's cell phone to access a traffic service such as Waze or Google?

I think that if you've already got a smart phone (I don't, dinosaur flip-phone user here), you've found your replacement device. From my son - who has adopted technology better than I - he loves Wayz, and gave me one of his older TomToms to keep in another vehicle we have.

I'm still waiting to get a clear position from TomTom on one of my devices. Since they said that they'd honor the remaining term for any "purchased" map updates, what does that mean in regards to those of us with the Lifetime Map Updates? Are we gonna' be cast to the curb? Is my unit now a paperweight?
  • rogdodgerogdodge Posts: 29 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I just received my 'offer'. The GO520 was €6.28 more than I would pay locally. Although the GO5200 was €16.14 less than I would pay elsewhere, it did not appear to be a particularly special offer.
  • NigelCoxNigelCox Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    I accepted an offer in August for a year of map updates. So now they wish to renege on that deal. I see a full refund coming.
    Whilst my device has nominally 2Gb internal memory, currently only 322.5Mb is used. So plenty of space for map updates.

I've tried to contact them, but the contact us page has broken links and does not display properly. So they've cut off the means to contact them. Is this deliberate?
  • dhndhn Posts: 32,877 [Superusers]
    You can call:

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

But if you had a year's subscription starting last August (I assume you got November's 1000 map) then you still will get both February's and May's maps before your device is cut off from further maps.

In other words: ongoing subscriptions will be honoured.
  • DejikoDejiko Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    I had to go digging in my spam folders, but I found the email. Boo. :-( The Canada + Northern US map is only ~850MB, there's plenty of space left on my 2GB device (serial starting with RU). Well, I'll see if the February update loads up or not.

I've gotten eight years out of it, that's pretty decent for any piece of electronics (I have had to replace the mount three times).
    Thank you. I did get November's 1000 map, so will look forward to February. Hopefully will download OK.

Perhaps by then the website might be mended too.
  • MRQ1MRQ1 Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I see the Go1000 on the list... Got an email for my old 700 which I haven't used in years, but NOT for the 1000, which was bought with LIFETIME map updates...

On another thread a user is saying that their device - bought in June 2016 in now 'EOL'

Now I find I've been LIED to - 'Lifetime' in TomTom parlance means 'until we decide to screw you over for another over-priced, short-lived device... We have roughly a dozen of these things between work and family vehicle -

The so-called 'replacement' discount is nowthing short of a swift kick in the Alberts to add to the insult of being screwed-over on 'lifetime' maps. Not a discount at all; but the price that then 'new' units can be bought online anyway!

Quick tip TomTom - Other 'market leaders' have gone bust screwing their customers; I'd suggest that anyone working for this company find another job sooner rather than later - Because the plain truth is TomTom cannot be trusted, and their products are increasingly irrelevant.
  • TabbTabb Posts: 27 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I hope that areas and locations where class action suits are permitted that TomTom are sued to the greatest extent of the law for their shady corrupt business practices.

I will also be writing to the DVLA about rethinking using a device from a company that clearly intends to rip its customers off.
  • SuperstripeySuperstripey Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hmmm, fell out with tomtom a long time ago, bought 18 months worth of map updates for my Go720, which would then not download after many tries on a limited internet package in those days, and tech support tried a few obvious things which I had already tried, then you could hear the shrugging of shoulder as they announced they have no solution and it was up to me to sort, but no refund, purchase was non refundable, so I'm guessing a lot of you will be disappointed. Sorted in the end but missed one and only just caught the second of those updates in the meantime.....
    Along with the fact that the damn thing never worked properly anyhow, it would take you off at a junction of the motorway only to get you to get back on again at the same place, oh did I chuckle at that one after my 45 minute wait at the high wycombe/beaconsfield turn........
    And the original traffic aerial which mysteriously stopped working directly after an update, but you could buy a super new style one that is in the power lead.....
    Or she would just stop in her tracks, eventually rebooting after 5 minutes or so of ramping up to full volume and shouting the same last instruction at you repeatedly 'cause you are driving and haven't got/cant use the rediculously small and ill placed reset switch and there is no where to pull over.

Or tom-tombola as she is sometimes known because she gets bored and decides she wants to go somewhere of her her own choosing, and selects a destination at random, but says nothing until you realise your not going where you think you are going, good job i tend to ignore till i get to local to where I need to be or I would have ended up some exciting new places....

My Go 720 is currently 4gb, the reason being is that the internal disc corrupted many years ago and after some playing got the back up onto the SD card, shes a bit laggy at times(needs a faster card I think), hence her other name of Zomb-tom as she is reanimated and a bit cumbersome (leave locked in the car in case of wanting brain flavoured snacks....), but due to this it means I was able to continue to fit europe as a whole region, plus some tunes despite the best efforts of the huge and growing maps to thwart that.
    So that would maybe suggest that the memory size not being enough may not be strictly true, I would guess a good quality high speed 8 gb maybe would work too.

But those are just my musings on the situation, everybody make their own mind up on this.
    'Lifetime maps' was always a worry to me. If we expect the suppliers of any satnav to maintain the database and continually update it, that work needs funding. To give lifetime updates with the purchase of the device means no more income. For this reason I avoided lifetime devices, preferring to choose those that required subscriptions, to hopefully ensure future updates. This has worked for a while, until now when TomTom decide not to provide updates for the XXL, despite there being plenty of space on the memory.
    I think we should go back to subscriptions, if they were set at reasonable rates, surely more people would subscribe.
  • MRQ1MRQ1 Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    NigelCox wrote:
    If we expect the suppliers of any satnav to maintain the database and continually update it, that work needs funding.

Fair point - but 'lifetime maps' was what they sold... Not 'until we decide to criple your property' maps. - End of story as far as I'm concerned. It's a fundamental breach of trust; especially when you consider some of the device affected were purchased only months ago!

If they wanted 'funding', they could have made accessories cheaper (for what they are the price of a simple mount is horrendous - a semi-permanent one obscene! Cases? Don't make me laugh!) - instead of which people were driven to third-party suppliers... Insult to injury is added by the so-called 'upgrade' offer! Given that you could obtain a new device cheaper from a retailer, why would you stick with a company that betrayed your trust and abused your loyalty?

Between work and family vehicles, we have 14 TomTom devices... Not to mention boxes of the old one that these replaced! We've been with TomTom since circa 2005. - But they're off the purchasing list thanks to this fiasco - you just cannot trust them!
  • eddiewoolfries_un12eddiewoolfries_un12 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have a GO720 and always paid for the map upgrades for UK and Ireland maps.
    Had this model for some time now and running it with a 1Gb memory card installed.

I purchased the new go6000 that TomTom offered at a discount price but do not like the new software and map formats installed on it.
    It seems so clunky and difficult to navigate through the menus. Needless to say that I am still using the old Go720 and left with a new device that I don't like. On purchasing the G06000 from the TomTom offer I was not told that the map formats and menus where totally different, colour schemes at hideous, had I known I would not have bought it.

So needless to say I am very disappointed with TomTom. The older maps where a class act, New maps are crap and the Go6000 screen formats make it look like a toy so beware and do your homework before purchasing any of the new models.
    I have an old XXL which is on the list of unsupported. Not a surprise due to its age, and apparently I will still get the next two map updates as that is how long my subscription lasts. We'll see.
    The reason given about no more updates states memory capacity, yet my maps use 322Mb of a 2Gb machine. The latest machines have a very different menu system and interface, so perhaps that is the real reason that maps for older devices are being discontinued. The new software is 'prettier', but much more hungry on resources.
    I have this new 'look' with the phone app, so am used to it. But the older 'look' works so well, whereas the new software seems to take significantly longer to boot up, and responds to each screen touch with a noticeable delay. Definitely not better. I purchased a new Start 52, as I need to let my learners see the same as they'll get on their driving test. Hard work, and disappointing.
    For my personal use I prefer my 8 year old Navman. I see a new Mio in my future.
  • dillon2982dillon2982 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Absolutely disgusting, lame excuses about map size. My 720 still works brilliantly, Easy to load maps to SD Card.

Just trying to drive everyone to new series and then force everyone to new devices where they can decide to withdraw support on lifetime maps and end game the product. When 6 months, 2 years, it is at their discretion. Imagine if this policy was applied to everything you bought or paid for, would you buy a car under such circumstances.

They have already done this on some models.

Maybe it is time to switch suppliers, after all TomTom pulled the plug. If their business starts to suffer they will soon change their minds.
  • Really annoyedReally annoyed Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    My GO 720 was working perfectly up until 2 months ago and then suddenly stopped working and showing a screen message 'connect to a computer'. Having spent time confirming that the satnav is correctly connected to my computer, the TOM TOM Home software wont recognise it. With no customer support (as officially advise) I am left wit a worthless (but expensive ) GPS fit for the bin. I see no point in taking up TOM TOMs offer to spend another £200 - £300 on something that may end up in the bin in a few years time.

I look elsewhere
  • dhndhn Posts: 32,877 [Superusers]
    Anything here?:
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7375

Support:

:flag_gb: United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

But do NOT respond with a model in order for a live agent to come on the line.
  • Really annoyedReally annoyed Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    [h3]Followed instructions regarding DEVICE NOT RECOGNISED BY TOMTOM HOME still no joy. All the software is up to date [/h3]
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 13,158 [Superusers]
    Hi
    @Really annoyed
    Why the super size text ???

See User dhn workaround for TomtomHome....
    To 'trick' Home into getting a version of Home that still works with the emulator, see the steps below:

1) Uninstall TomTom Home
    2) Download last "good" version fromhttp://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/releases/v2_9_91_411_win.exe
    3) Install it without running ie, uncheck the 'Run Home' tick box when installation completes
    4) Using Windows Explorer, navigate to
    C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\xul (32 bit Windows)
    or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\TomTom HOME 2\xul (64 bit Windows)
    and find application.ini file
    5) Edit application.ini file (you might need admin privileges) and modify "Version=2.9.91.411" to "Version=2.9.94.450"
    6) Run TomTom Home. It will believe to be running latest version 2.9.94.450 and therefore not pull the update.

ATB YFM