Inaccurate (low) heart rate

Professor Yaffle
Professor Yaffle Registered Users Posts: 5
Master Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I have had a spark 3 cardio for over a year, and recently have started having problems with the heart rate readings.
The reading start off fine, but at some point in the run the rate jumps down to a lower rate (which would never be achievable by me unless I stopped), and stays low for the rest of the run. On the most recent occasion it also stayed low for the whole of the following run (à slow run home after a club training session).
Does anyone know of anything simple that might be causing it? I'd put it down to a random aberration if it were just once, but it has happened twice over the last couple of weeks and I'm worried it will be a regular occurrence.

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
    Superuser
    You may want to call Customer Support to ask them about it, but I would try a factory reset first in case it is just an issue in your firmware install. To do a factory reset, make sure the Connect software is running and dock the device to your computer. The Connect window will open; press the gear at the top right and select factory reset from the next screen. Follow the steps provided and when prompted to register or sign in to MySports, select sign in and use your existing account credentials. It is fairly straightforward and should take less than 5 minutes.

To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact at the bottom, select the service required and the product name and click Contact Customer Care and then Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Professor Yaffle
    Master Traveler
    Thanks, I'll try that
  • beekroza
    beekroza Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Same problem here. Did a workout including HRmax (ca 190) but Runner didn't indicate over 130 bpm. Curious as to the suggested solution.
  • Professor Yaffle
    Master Traveler
    Hmm, now my computer is not recognising my watch so I cant factory reset it. I plug it in and it shows the battery charging icon, but the software displays a message asking me to connect it.
    Will try again later, as this has happened before.
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
    Superuser
    Hmm, now my computer is not recognising my watch so I cant factory reset it. I plug it in and it shows the battery charging icon, but the software displays a message asking me to connect it.
    Will try again later, as this has happened before.

Make sure none of the pins in the charger are bent or deformed or that the wire is split anywhere, that is the primary cause of the issue you are seeing.
  • Professor Yaffle
    Master Traveler
    Quick update. One of the gold contacts on the watch has worn off, which is why I can't connect to the computer. I'm sending it off to be fixed. The help people think that when I can connect and update, or do a reset, that may solve the heart rate problem. I hope so, as the measured rate was ridiculously low for the whole of my parkrun this morning.
    I will update again when I get it back!
  • dpelchat
    dpelchat Registered Users Posts: 48
    Prominent Wayfarer
    This issue started happening to me as well since I upgraded to the latest official firmware. The HR works fine but almost every workout I'm getting a crazy dip. It always happens at max HR (which is 165-170 for me). I try adjusting the watch when I catch it and it resumes with the proper reading.
  • beekroza
    beekroza Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Seems like a firmware issue to me. I did a factory reset but still experiencing the HR drop after a while.
  • Leolaura19
    Leolaura19 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    Anyone manage to get a solution. My morning run shows a ridiculously low heart rate for the first half and then shoots up. This is whilst I’m runnning at a constant pace. e80513a9-eaa8-4292-80d5-e142f0930091.png
  • RossGraham
    RossGraham Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    Mines the same. Barely better than a gps logger. Starts off ok, gradually going from 100 up to 145 and beyond if pushing hard, then BAM! Drops to 80-90. Will regularly be 60-odd percent lower than actual HR off manual pulse check.
    totally destroyed my plans during the Gold Coast Marathon last year as it was based upon running to Heart Rate for the first 30 km. No wonder I cramped badly with ten km to go.