Tomtom wont work with charger connected — TomTom Community

Tomtom wont work with charger connected

OwenXLOwenXL Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
Seems battery is dead and website says battery cannot be replaced, but that it will work when connected to a power source. Fine... Unfortunately when I switch it on connected to power supply the device comes on but within 20 seconds the 'low battery' screen comes on and the device powers down. Connected to the PC it will remain on.

Have tried restarting, reseting

Any ideas?

Comments

• NiallNiall Posts: 10,600 Superuser
    @OwenXL
    Are you using a USB port in your vehicle?
    As the USB ports in your vehicle provides only 0.5Amps whereas your device should have 1.2Amps to run AND charge the battery. With a vehicle USB port the reduced power means that the device tries to save it's power requirements by dimming the screen, and, as you have found out, it then sleeps.
    Try plugging the original cable into the original cigarette lighter charger, does it then keep sleeping?

Also check here that your device has not been declared "Eol" if so then there will be no more map updates :(
  • OwenXLOwenXL Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hi Niall

In the vehicle I am using the original cigarette lighter charger that came with the device. I will check its rating. I have tried charging it with Samsung Chargers rated at 1.0Amps and 2.0Amps and it still does the same.

On the PC I can access it with TomTom Home no problems on either USB 2.0 (0.5 Amps) and USB 3.0 (0.9 Amps) and it will stay on as long as required. Albeit it does not seem to charge.

Don't believe its related but I had installed a firmware upgrade version 9.540.

Thanks for any ideas/assistance you can provide

Owen
    Hi Niall

Just to add that if I disconnect the device from TomTom Home it will also shut down.

The device is not EOL as far as I can see. Its an XL Classic Canada 310.

DeviceSerialNumber=GVxxxxAxxxxxx
    DeviceUniqueID=AK3GN BSB6J

Thanks

Mod edit: Please do not post any personal information on a public forum!
    Hi Niall

Replacing the battery is reasonable, but to be honest I believe this is a firmware issue which should be investigated and resolved by TomTom. I think it would be very poor if the device does not work when connected to power. As I mentioned previously it works fine when connected to the PC as long as I am running it with the TomTom software, further proving it must be a firmware issue. It would be an issue of serious concern if the device fails in this way whilst out on a trip when you are depending on this device to get to places quickly and safely. Luckily on this occasion I had taken it on an easy journey as backup only and was able to do without it.

Here's hoping for a resolution.

Thanks in advance

Owen.