Pace calculation — TomTom Community

Pace calculation

AntoineoudinAntoineoudin Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 2019 in Runner & Multi-Sport
Hello,
I would like to know how is calculated the pace during running activity.
The pace that appears on the watch seems to be the average pace since the beginning of the activity. Is it right ?
Is it possible to display the instantaneous pace ?

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,816
    Superusers
    The "pace" metric is instant pace, the "average pace" metric is the average over the entire activity. No watch has true "instant pace". It is all computed in arrears and is a balance between responsiveness and smoothness. A longer lag time gives you smoother data but is slow to react. A short lag time gets faster responsiveness but choppier data. TomTom is slow to react to changes in pace because it applies a long smoothing period to produce smooth, non-choppy data. If you are running at a fairly steady pace you will not notice the lag. However, if you are doing intervals or sprints or changing speed a lot the lag can be become more apparent. This has been a complaint since the first version of the watch was released 3+ years ago and really has not changed much, so I would not expect much to change now.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0